User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can we still claim 80% of OB fees from medicare once reach limit?

Im confused. I thought this ceased at 1/1/10 and that they only paid a scheduled amount for OB fees (which isnt much!) but I was in there the other day and the medicare staff didnt know what i was on about and said you can still claim the 80% of the fee once you reach your limit. Can anyone confirm this? I must admit i dont think the staff understood what I meant but you think they would know given OB fees are big claims! And if the change isnt in yet does anyone know when it does come in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

hasnt anyone claimed OB fees this year from medicare who can confirm?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty sure it is capped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You get a maximum of $400 (it may be slightly more but definately under $500) back. Obstetrics no longer counts towards the safety net so the 80% doesnt apply. This is from 1 Jan this year.

Staff dont really need to know what they are talking about because as soon as they process your invoice the system will tell them.
    Last edited by MumtoD; 04-05-2010 at 19:54.
    Darwyn David born 14 April 2009

Kittylou is offline My precious Hamish, forever in my heart
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not entirely sure but I thought the change was just that only a small amount of the management fee was counted towards the safety net so you are out of pocket for the bulk of your management fee. But, if you reach the safety net then I would assume you would get back 80% of your regular consultation fees from that point.
    35yo single Mumma to

DS 12, DD 5 & DS 2
    Hamish David 30.1.10 - 30.1.10
    Moments in my arms, forever in my heart

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pregnancy management fee for a private Ob is capped at around $400-odd. After I paid this ($2300) in January this year and my 20-week scan, I started receiving $67.20 back for a $75 Ob consult - which is really good now that I am nearly 36 weeks and having weekly visits. Info here: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/mb...etric-services

Don't forget you can claim medical expenses on your tax if you have spent over $1500 in a financial year as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emmysmummy View Post
    The pregnancy management fee for a private Ob is capped at around $400-odd. After I paid this ($2300) in January this year and my 20-week scan, I started receiving $67.20 back for a $75 Ob consult - which is really good now that I am nearly 36 weeks and having weekly visits. Info here: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/mb...etric-services

Don't forget you can claim medical expenses on your tax if you have spent over $1500 in a financial year as well.
    Ah thats interesting. So the management fee still pushes you over the safety net for everything else but you dont get 80% of it back. Good to know as the OB appointments become a lot more frequent at the end.

For anyone curious about claiming on tax it is 20% of any costs over $1500.
    Darwyn David born 14 April 2009

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, very helpful. So management fee counts towards Medicare safety net threshold but refund limited to $400-500. Oh well will have to claim the excess in my tax return!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look into it, as I did get back bulk of my management fee. I had already reached the threshhold for this year and from my $4000 ob fee I got back $3200. Thank goodness. And the medicare girl did comment on the fact that there were so many unhappy ladies as they were only getting back $400.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wigglemum - when did you oay your OB the management fee and when did you claim it? That could be the difference...
    Emma 30 & DH 30
    DD 1 - 3rd Dec 08
    DS 1 - 10th May 10
    I live by faith, not by sight

Number two is here in the form of a bouncing 10pnd BOY!