User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default declining the GD test.

hey ladies, im 24 weeks, about 3 weeks away from taking the gestational diabetes test. I'm thinking of declining. Why? well, i don't eat great now, but im taking steps to improve my diet, try and walk each day, and i'm thinking of getting the finger prick tester to watch my sugar levels. I find the thought of testing to be more of a constant stress, and i'm of the belief that my body is more then capable to birth my baby, and she's of an average size for my age when i had my last scan at 20wks.

Who else has refused this? Im going through the mater mothers midwives program, and im a little scared they will have a go at me for not getting it done. Tbh, if i had done my research 12 weeks ago instead of the last month i would have opted for a homebirth, but im already set up for the hospi birth now -so with the test i know it is ultimatley our choice but im just not sure how to go about telling them these thoughts. Im happy to have my bloods looked at to double check im getting enough iron etc, but i find the gd test invasive and not always necessary.

suggestions on how to go about it?
    And has anyone else gone down the same road as us?

Xx

headoverfeet is offline You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't have it done last time (homebirth with a government funded program) and I had no issues, I felt horrible when I did it for DS1s pregnancy.

Don't ask, when they ask you just say that you have decided not to do that test and change the subject asap
    Mr 35- web designer Ms-31 SAHM
    Mr 7- I think I know it all Mr 5- I want to do it all Miss 3- The Queen
    Extreme Babysitting- Story of a Gestational Surrogate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Im going in for mine tomorrow. Diabetes is something that is in my family, and the impact it can have on your pregnancy and baby are crazy!!! Im having it to be safe, as its only 2.5 hrs or so up at the hospital... a good excuse to put my feet up and read a book!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want to refuse mine this time round also.

I had it with the first 2 pregnancies and it was so awful. I was so sick for days, just not fun!

Kimbo- i hope yours is a more relaxing experience than mine.

I am going to ask what the chances are of having it in my 3rd pregnancy if it's a risk then i'll have it. I wont risk it for the sake of not being sick for a few days.
    Chaise Ella Sept 06, Lara Annabelle June 08
    & Spencer Eli Nov 10
    Family now complete

Thanks
    Reviews
    I refused to have it with DD2. I felt awul for days after doing it with DD1 and so opted to not do it. They didn't give me a hard time, I just said no I wasn't doing it and that was it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I declined the GD test and the hospital (Mater Public) didn't have any issues once I made my position clear.

I declined the test because:
    I was not in any of the risk categories.
    I was fit and healthy.
    I knew what symptoms to look out for if my sugar levels went funny.
    Lots of big babies come out of vaginas.
    I wanted to avoid being labelled 'high risk'.

Check out Sarah Buckley's website, she has a fabulous article on it.

HTH
    AP, homebirthin Mama to E (Sep 2009) and E (Jan 12)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm refusing it with number two as well. I am healthy and definitely not high risk and it made me feel like vomiting when I did it last time. The nurse was cranky and told me that if I vomited I would have to drink it all over again I was nearly in tears.

If you decide to refuse it, stick to your guns. Many people will tell you that you are risking the health of you and your baby by doing so (which is what happened on here the last time someone posted a similar thread ) It's your body, it's your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do it regardless of being fit and healthy, if I am high risk I want to know about it.

Baby deserves a healthy mummy so I would do it 100 over to either stop any worries or to help me be healthier for my bubby.

Personal choice, but if you are already at risk why would you risk it and refuse it ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine got it in her second pregnancy. Complete shock to her. It got so bad even eating veg and salad made her levels skyrocket even on insulin. She was only in her 20s and her diet could not control it.

The test itself was no big deal at all for me and I had to have the second one too. It was just like drinking a lemonade and sitting about a lot and some bts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sort of don't know why you are so worried about the GD test itself. You could just do the 1 hour test if you wanted, drink some sweet stuff and have some blood taken. It's not painful or anything and if you're worried that the drink will make you sick, you can request jelly beans instead. Who can't eat 9 jelly beans? Yum.

It's entirely you're decision and I'm sure the hospital will respect that, but it's not all about having a BIG baby... that's only part of it. Personally, I'm really, really grateful that I found out in past pregnancies that my blood sugars were too high and that I had the opportunity to control them. As it is, I still have severe polyhydramnios and my bubs always have low blood sugar after birth - it would be SO much worse and so dangerous if I didn't know and didn't take insulin. I started insulin at 8 weeks this pregnancy - thank goodness I was still testing my blood sugars after having Seth. If not, and my sugars were uncontrolled in those early weeks, my baby could now have deformities. For me, a sweet drink and a few jabs have been worth it to give my baby the best chance of a healthy start.

I'm probably a bit biased because I think the testing for GD has been a godsend. Chances are if you eat a balanced diet and have no family history you are ok anyway. I really hope you at least do a few fingerprick tests sometime just to make sure - it's better to be safe. Believe me, you don't want to see your little bub in special care hooked up to feeding tubes etc. with low blood sugars. Best of luck.

Leanne 43 James 43
    #8 on the way!
    Due May 2013