User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy My Primary School Principal Molestation of Boys being Discussed by FB friends.

Jeez I hate going back there...

BRIAN DAVID CAIRNS (Christian Brother and Principal)

He sexually molested people very close to me and he punished me severely to scare me, as I snuck into his office and saw his dead locks and alcohol. he was only charged with 12 offences but there we 100's more. Not to mention mental/emotional abuse of female siblings of his victims.

# Brian David Cairns

In 1970 Brian Cairns became a member of the Christian Brothers order in Queensland and, as Brother Cairns, he taught primary students at several Catholic schools in Brisbane. By 1975, he had left the Christian Brothers and he then taught primary classes (as Mister Cairns) at several other Brisbane Catholic schools until 1984, when he was charged with sexual offences against 12 male pupils aged between 10 and 12 years. In the Brisbane District Court in 1985, he was found guilty of three counts of attempted sodomy, eight counts of gross indecency and 32 counts of indecent treatment of schoolboys. The offences extended over several years and Cairns was headmaster for some of that time. Judge Kimmins sentenced him to seven years' jail. In 2003, some of the victims sought advice from Broken Rites about initiating civil action against the Brisbane archdiocese. ... See more

http://brokenrites.alphalink.com.au/...r/bccrime.html
    further http://www.mako.org.au/holyhell.html
    http://groups.google.com.au/group/au...664d684738de2d

Do you know at 40 I am finding it is all just really hitting me now and the abuse is finally hitting me. The impact is huge.

I could not believe the secretary stayed there that long she left only a couple years ago, i am 40 She was there for decades.. she sat outside that office and she would have HAD to know things were not kosher.. she would have HAD to know those dead bolts on his door were not normal, nor being behind closed doors with crying boys for hours was normal.. its just not right the amount of people that got away with this. THEY KNEW ALL OF THEM...
    Last edited by Pax; 10-04-2010 at 14:08.
    I am the old lady that lives in the shoe that has so many children and is lost what to do ... some days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps she knew perhaps not. My cousin was abused by an uncle and claimed that his mum knew and aunts and uncles knew and turned a blind eye, but they really didn't. My mum says looking back on certain things perhaps they should have realised that they were odd but they just did not see it that way at the time. My cousin has no contact with anyone in my family because of his belief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amara View Post
    Perhaps she knew perhaps not. My cousin was abused by an uncle and claimed that his mum knew and aunts and uncles knew and turned a blind eye, but they really didn't. My mum says looking back on certain things perhaps they should have realised that they were odd but they just did not see it that way at the time. My cousin has no contact with anyone in my family because of his belief.
    I was 9 and knew something was wrong without 'KNOWING' he dead bolted his office door while he had students in there.
    I am the old lady that lives in the shoe that has so many children and is lost what to do ... some days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my goodness, that is so sad. I am so, so sorry. How horrible. You're right, she probably did know but for whatever reason was unwilling or unable to dob him in. There's no excuse though, I will never understand how people can turn a blind eye like that. If she sat outside the office, she had to know.

Are you able to go and see someone, perhaps a counsellor to talk things through? I know how horrific it must be for you to be coming to terms with this now.

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's that whole behaviour of protecting the perpetrator, that allows on-going abuse to continue.

Perpetrators are aware of the power they have over victims/survivors and others.

His secretary may have felt that she'd lose her job if she said something, tototally screwed up I know

For me, my mother did nothing because she was afraid of losing her friendship group
    DH and Me and DSand DD

Guest Guest
    That's terrible and only 7 years in prison for it all??
    Yes I think adults at the school knew, how could they not if kids saw something wrong. You know, it'll stay on their conscious so what can you do, hopefully they learnt something from it after all these years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I had a not dissimilar experience growing up, Morri, but unlike you had NO idea something was going on.

A teacher at my primary school was jailed on about 50 counts of child rape - he molested a few boys each year he taught at our tiny little rural school. Half the families in town were affected (not mine, TG,) and to this DAY there are people in that town who swear it was all a big beat up and "he loved those kids and would have NEVER touched them."

I found out about it all from a friend when I was 18 or so, and was absolutely dumbstruck. She only knew because he tried to rape another friend (a boy) on a fishing trip her father was also on, and that boy went nearly psycho because he had been abused by the teacher as a child. He nearly killed this guy (the abuser), apparently.

Sadly, that boy (he was 18 at the time) later killed himself.

*Why, yes! I am a feminist!*
    Woman, writer, thinker, wife, and proud Montessori mama!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry that you went through that too. And sorry for all of his victoms.

Who knows about the Secretary. As you say, it seems more then reasonable to think that she had to realise something was terribly wrong. Unfortuately people don't want to or can't believe what is happening in front of them. In his position of "power" as Headmaster and a Christian Brother, she probably deluded herself into thinking that he couldn't possibly be doing anything "bad". This coupled with the fact that child sex offenses were such a taboo and hidden subject, maybe she just couldn't imagine what was really happening in there or didn't think anyone would believe her. She may have believed he was into harsh capital punishment and passed things off in her mind as this, as for many years it was generally accepted that School Principals disiplined children however they saw fit. Who knows. She maybe suffers from terrible guilt now. (I'm not trying to say you don't have a right to feel angry towards her, she was an adult when as you say..you as a child knew something was wrong.. I think I would be curious to know what she had thought at the time too. )
    It's a bit like all the people on the set of Hey Dad who knew about what was going on but instead of going to the police or doing something proactive they tried to cover it up.

In my family it was laughed off as "flirty/ racous" behaviour on behalf of the perpitraitor as no one wanted to see it for what it was...as it somehow shamed them or something. When in reality not doing anything is far more shame full. But like with this man, it was a different era.

Hopefully now there is greater awareness and this in turn hopefully empowers people to speak out.

7 years WHAT A JOKE!! For all those lives that he has affected...
    Last edited by c38; 10-04-2010 at 09:16.
    Me 41
    DS 08

"WAKE UP, Green sheeps!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry Rae, it just doesn't make sense does it.
    Mum to DS 2006 DD 2011 and ?? Due Feb 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for you supportive words, and no it does not make sense, but there is some comfort in that. Who would ever want this sort of thing to make sense?