Breastfeeding multiples | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hunterzmummy - if you have a big baby shop nearby - i'd ask if they can get a couple in for you to try. They had a MASSIVE foam one at the hospy I was at. It was too big for me and didn't have the strap around your waist - so a PITA. I think you will probably get used to whatever you have - they are all pretty similar. I got the inflatable from think twins, and it got a hole in the seam after a month or 2 - they were brilliant and sent me a replacement straight away - it has been perfect ever since. I was thinking of donating it to our local AMBA so others can borrow it and see if it is good for them before investing in one - maybe our local AMBA or ABA has something similar? The EZ2 nurse is good for when they are little, but harder to use past 6-8months IMO, but I could tandem feed without it from 5 or so months anyway when I needed to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I successfully, fully B/F my twins. I never got a feeding pillow, simply because the one available at the hospital was not very helpful. I ended up just using a normal boomarang pillow popped up on another pillow.
    I tandem fed until they were about 5-6 months when they became more interested in playing and laughing at eachother rather than feeding. They needed feeding every 2.5-3 hours. It definetely took about 6 weeks to get used to (them and me), and quite a few weeks more to feel confident.
    I had quite a few negative comments on the ability to do it, oddly mostly from other multiple mothers. I was called a good milking cow by the paed. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing
    Best thing I invested in was lansinoh cream and good quality breast pads. And always have water nearby, cause as soon as they start sucking you get an overwhelming desire to drink.
    One of the funny things- once let down occured the girls would take turns sucking, so would get a couple free mouthfalls from their sisters sucking. Very lazy they were!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Hunterzmum for posting this question, I am looking for one myself.

I've seen this one in the shops http://www.mybrestfriend.com/twins can anyone tell me if it is practical or not. I'm unsure of how long you can feed a baby on one of these before they outgrow it?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant with identical twins

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    That looks as though it would be fine

I tandem fed my two until they were about 8 months old using the pillow... I did at times use it beyond at months, usually when they woke at night and I needed to settle them asap.

So long as it has an adjustable strap and enough surface area to support two growing babies, I'd say anything would be good

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, just to show I am paying attention to this thread, I never had a feeding pillow, never needed one. Only used a pillow for my back occasionally. I held my babies on my lap, their heads cradled in my elbows. That way I had my hands free to hold a story book, or to scratch my nose if needed. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a wonderful thread! I have been planning on tandem breast feeding all along, and, thankfully, no one has said otherwise!
    I can see though that perserverance, tolerance and lots of support is going to be the key. I'm going to start mentally preparing myself, and start looking for a good pillow, asap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hate to stir any contraversy or anything as such, yes these pillows are great but after looking at them in the shops and seeing the prices, wouldnt it be cheaper and also used for alot longer if you bought a body pillow in a boomerang shape? you can get them from pillow talk for about $50 i just look at the b/f pillows and think in a few months there going to be alot bigger and its going to be pretty squashy on that! dont get me wrong, they are a great invention but yea like i wrote above it would be so much cheaper and somewhat more easier just to buy a boomerang pillow as it can be used longer and in the later months you wont have to spend more time stuffing around trying to get both bubs comfortably on the b/f pillow?

like i said i dont want to cause any fights or say anyone is wrong as this is just MY view, but yea do you no what i mean?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    For me personally, my pillow was invaluable.

I was feeding 3 hourly around the clock. My pillow meant I could sit comfortably, and not have a pillow wander away from my body causing me to lean forward unnecessarily (and that did happen whenever I was without my pillow)

Also, mine was nice and firm, so the boys didn't sink down into it and make things harder.

Sure, if you don't have the money to spend you will most certainly live without a special pillow, but by golly I wouldn't have liked to do it.

(And I cheated- I asked for one for my baby shower )

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Nietzsche View Post
    (shameful post - I don't have twins, I have 2 bubs 14 mths apart! - I'm just a ring-in!)
    Ring-in here too mine are 14mths apart and we are still tandem feeding 16mths later.

Breastfeeding Twins by Rebecca Kubenk, twin mum and ABA Counsellor
    Breastfeeding Twins ABA Booklet
    Breastfeeding Triplets, Quads and More ABA Booklet
    Nursing Twins (Twins, Triplets and More) index of articles from the La Leche League links to New Beginnings and Leaven

Some links I keep around for such occasions
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 08-04-2010 at 17:02.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    IMO - ring-in's are welcome too . Even though it's a bit different feeding 2 newborns, it's still feeding 2 babies, and tips/hints will always be good from other tandem feeders!

In regards to the pillow - mine was invaluable too. I used a big body pillow at mums a couple of times, and it wasn't as high or firm as the feeding pillow. It kept slipping out so bubs went between me and the pillow, and was a PITA! I could use other pillows as they got older and we got better at it - can do it now with or without pillows. BUT establishing in the first 3months was the hardest, the pillow made it seem so much easier to be independant, not needng help as the pillow stayed put, it sloped gently towards my body and helped bubs stay in place. The way I justified it was formula is $20/tin - newborn twins = 2 xtins perweek, so the pillow cost less than a months worth of formula - it was a no-brainer when I thought of it like that. But many have done without, so it's probably a bit of a personal thing.