Breastfeeding multiples | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding multiples

I thought it might be a good idea to start this thread off and sticky it (can you sticky this please Nomsie?) since there are some twin/trip mummies-to-be, and a now a few experienced twin b/f mummies (Maire, Nomsie, fiveinthebed and myself to name a few!) and it can be here to help all the new mummies! Maybe the experienced mums can post their success tips and if there are any q's - please ask!!
    Last edited by Sheer Bliss; 28-03-2010 at 21:44.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My tips:

You CAN do it!! Don't listen to people who tell you you won't have enough milk and you CAN'T b/f twins without comping with formula. It most certainly can be done. BUT IF you need/want a break and get someone else to give the bubs a bottle of EBM or formula - you are still a fantastic mummy and there is nothing wrong with doing so.

Start as you intend to continue - get a 'feeding routine' set up. I had a twin b/f pillow before I was due, so I could practise using it in hospy as soon as they were born. By the time I went home, I could strap it around me (EZ2 Nurse twin has a belt and clip to hold it around your waist - invaluable!) and do it all alone. Even in the SCN nursery I tried to do lots myself (but always asked for help when unsure about anything!) so I felt more competent once I got home.

Drink and eat well yourself. I had a 750mL water bottle next to where i fed. I always tried to have a few big gulps when bubs first woke, and then the rest after a feed.

REST!!! You are NOT a super-hero. Your house CAN be messy, you have TWINS/TRIPLETS/MORE. They are little for such a short time, and your rest = better/more milk and happier babies! A few months of mess is OK, it won't be like it forever, and you are more likely to remember those beautiful moments than the state of the house.

Getting one attached, to have the other fall off is VERY NORMAL in the early days. It will get better and before long they will both attach within seconds of being near the nipple, and you will be able to read a book or knit (using circulars to avoid getting their heads!) while they feed!

That's all I have for now - lol

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheer Bliss For This Useful Post:

CatNoonan08  (01-02-2015),Missleo  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I desperatly want to bf my twins i had supply issuses. I say good on anyone that can breast feed twinsand more i take my hat off to you. Great idea too charlis_mum ireally could have used more support when i was trying.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Great idea for a thread, Tan. I have stickied as per requested

Ok my tips:

1) find yourself a good bf pillow. Any pillow worth it's value will have a strap to hold it to you (so it and bub's don't slip away during feeding). Tan mentioned she had an EZ2 Nurse, I had a milkbar boomerang Make sure the clip is nice and big so it's not fiddly (don't want to be playing around with it at 2am with 2 or more screaming babies) and that the strap is adjustable.

2) Midwives may do an ok job at instructing you on how to feed- but mine were useless. The ONLY advice I took on board in the end came from my Lactation Consultant. But I was very lucky, as the hospital here supplies them free of charge. I know other people have to pay for theirs- but even if you do have to pay- they really are worth it!

3) I struggled with attaching two in the beginning... what do you do with the 2nd twin while you're putting the first on? I ended up buying a bouncer seat (Bright starts deluxe bouncer, was awesome) that was more reclined than upright. I sat one twin in there whilst I attached the first, and then all I had to do was lean forward and scoop up the second one. This was especially valuable once they were rolling, as you can't just leave them on the couch next to you for a few minutes.

4) My supply didn't come in til day 5 or 6. In the meantime, that gave me a great excuse to pig out on lactation boosting cookies (recipe in the bf section) - yum! Bake some before your safe cut off date (before you're guaranteed to go into labour) and start snacking on them. Take them to the hospital with you too. (And let your friends eat them and watch their faces fall as you tell them what they are and that they should expect their bm to start coming in in 48 hours... priceless moment for me, but then again I have very gullible friends! )

5) The first 12 weeks are the pits. They really are. I hated bf'ing for the first three months, but everything is still getting established. If you are determined to give twin/HOM bf'ing a go, aim to go for at least 14 weeks and then reasses.

6) My sanity was saved by feeding them together for at least the first 6 months. They had to go at least 3 hours between feeds, and then when one was hungry the other was fed too. You don't want to feel like all you ever doing is feeding or putting to sleep (although sorry... you probably will feel like that for some time until they start doing other things.)

7) ASK FOR HELP!! There are plenty of people on BH and in real life that will be able to offer you advice and support. I quite often found it to be all too much... but without the support of others I'm sure I would have quit ages ago

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Missleo  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for making this thread!

i was a bit in the dark on the b/f issue as the midwife told me i wouldnt be able to do it as im only 18 so i wont no what im doing nor will i no how to do it, so i may aswell bottle/formula feed

my Step Mum is the president of ABA in NSW so she has helped alot, i no im only 17 weeks now but its still helpful to no before i start!

So thank you sooooo much! i will definatly keep an eye on it to hear all of your helpful hints

Tiff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thread!!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, I dont want to repeat my story of how I bf my twin daughters 28 years ago,. but I will say there are many wise women on here and while we might do/ have done things differently, it is good to just know there are more ways to successfully feed bubs, single or multiple, than what the ABA or any lactation expert might suggest. Keep your options flexible, and take each day as it comes. Just because one method doesnt suit you, dont stop bf'ing, just try something different. I took three weeks to get established, and I am so glad I had a MCHN who was willing to make different suggestions and to encourage me to keep going. Marie.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins2be View Post
    Thank you for making this thread!

i was a bit in the dark on the b/f issue as the midwife told me i wouldnt be able to do it as im only 18 so i wont no what im doing nor will i no how to do it, so i may aswell bottle/formula feed

my Step Mum is the president of ABA in NSW so she has helped alot, i no im only 17 weeks now but its still helpful to no before i start!

So thank you sooooo much! i will definatly keep an eye on it to hear all of your helpful hints

Tiff
    I wish there was somewhere to report midwives like this... her comment was totally wrong and rude IMO... luckily you have such good access to the ABA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    (shameful post - I don't have twins, I have 2 bubs 14 mths apart! - I'm just a ring-in!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    love it!! thanks ladies very insightful.. Im tryign to get all the advice and info now as i dont think i will have much time when the little darlings arrive in 7 weeks time EEEEKKKKKK

I was looking at the twin feeding pillow, the one that the AMBA promotes and the hospitals use... how do you know which one is best, they are to expensive to 'experiment' with and see which one suits best lol