+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone used Mt Barker Hospital in SA? What was it like?

Hi, just wondering if anyone here has had a baby at Mt Barker Hospital in SA, and if so what was your experience like?
    Can you recommend it/not recommend it?
    Details?.....

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

Found this old thread and noticed no replies, so thought I'd bump it up to see if anyone has any ideas.

Our little family has lived in Mt Barker only 12mths and don't know anything about the hospital. I'm not planning on going to my GP until 6-weeks so I can get a dating scan (I'm not quite 4-weeks yet so for me its very early days).

Wasn't sure if this hospital does shared care or full midwife care? With my DD I went to Flinders Hospital with full-time midwife care and I'd like to do the same if possible.

Thanks in advance

Michelle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the bump up Misheycat.

I've lived in Mt Barker & Nairne for over 8 yrs now and have given birth to two babies there and am about to give birth there again ANY DAY NOW!!!

It is truly an Adelaide treasure. I have enjoyed every minute of my experiences ther and am actually quite sad that this will be my last. I am totally gonna cry when I leave, I bet!

I have not had a bad midwife or a bad doctor in my experience. It is small and comfortable and you don't feel like a number. They let you labour how you want to with minimal intervention (they suggest things but no pushing of any drugs, labour positions etc) and this is also their philosophy post birth. Baby rooms in with you and they leave you to it and will help you when you ask them. They will take bub overnight if he/she is unsettled and you need to sleep. Breakfast is left for you in a little communal kitchen so you get up and make it yourself whatever time you want to, so you can stay in bed in your PJs most of the morning if you want! I LOVE that! hehe

Feel free to ask anymore questions. In all honesty I have had many friends give birth there and only one bad story from a friend who used a private OB. The rest of us went public and have nothing bad to say about the place at all.

You aren't far away now. Good luck with everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We'd also be interested in hearing about experiences at Mt Barker.

Hospital choice for our current pregnancy is already done (Karen Chandler at Burnside), but it would be good to know if we get lucky again next year.

We chose to go down the hill as we'd already decided to go private, hadn't heard many good things said about the private OB delivering at Mt Barker and we keep hearing about capacity problems at the hospital.

Our line of thinking was that if SWMBO was going to be sent down the hill anyway because Mt Barker is full, we may as well go down there in the first place and know for sure where we're going.

Good luck with your choice.

SYB
    Last edited by swimyabuggers; 10-11-2010 at 10:24. Reason: Change OB to the right one. They all look the same to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for bumping this up!

We still haven't had a successful pregnancy so haven't had the opportunity to book in anywhere yet! Basically we have private cover so can go to Burnside (and narrowed obs down to Karen Chandler or Carolyn Marlow), or we can choose not to use it and stay here in Mt Barker. I went and looked around both of them, and I am sure they would both be great options, is so hard to choose.

I suppose my concerns are mainly the capacity of Mt Barker, the likelihood of being turned away worries me as I have heard a few stories like this. And not knowing which Dr would be delivering on the day also puts me off a little, as I love my Dr and would want her there but I know there are no guarantees (I see Dr Bryant).

But in saying that, I love how cosy it is and the personalised attention of the midwives and I think they would be a lot more flexible than Burnside.....hmmmm...what to do...still no closer to deciding!

Thanks for the advice Nan

Misheycat they do shared care with a few GP's in the area.

Alexwp is offline Proud to be a Midwife in training
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lovely ones
    I have just applied for a job as a midwife at Mt Barker hospital and have spent the past few months on clinical placement in maternity there. I can PROMISE you it is an absolutely gorgeous place to have a baby (and believe me, ive worked at a few of the different options around town). The midwives are gorgeous and very women-centred, there is no treating the women or babies like they are numbers and we try really hard to help you achieve the birth you want.
    Ive not once seen anyone turned away due to overcrowding.
    I cant recommend Mt Barker highly enough.
    Blessings to you all