+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default complete failure of fertilisation

Hi this is my first post, but I would really appreciate any advice or stories of similar experiences.

I am anovulatory, my ovaries look polycystic, so I have been undergoing OI for the last six months, without success. Last month my response to the puregon was over-the-top, with heaps of follicles (after months of growing nothing), so we decided to convert to IVF.

I had ten mature eggs at pickup, and my husbands semen analysis had previously been fine.

So the day after pickup I got a call to say none of the ten eggs had fertilised.

I just am so disappointed, and don't understand why, when we thought the reason for our infertility was that I didn't ovulate, now there is another problem.

Has anyone else had this experience, and can you let me know what you did, and how things went? I guess we'll have to try ICSI next.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Cloudy
    Out of all my ivf cycles, I have had only 1 time where no fertilisation happened...now we do ICSI to avoid that happening again!!!
    Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cloudy,
    this happened to me on my first cycle with 11 eggs. Devastating. For the second cycle I did ICSI and got a good fert rate. PHEW that was a relief, I was holding my breath for over 24 hours.

FS said I may have an inherited genetic issue, with my eggs not having all the enzymes and proteins necessary to set off the sperm binding process. Having said that, it's usually caused by a male/sperm issue, ie. a lack of acrosome binding receptors/enzymes (semen analysis can't detect this, only fertilisation attempts can).

ICSI is the way round it. I wish all clinics did ICSI as default (some in the USA do) as it is really hard to come down so hard so quickly with no warning.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much to you both, especially pickywickles, as your story seems to be very similar to mine. I just hope I have success with ICSI too.

Good luck to you for your next cycles/transfers
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I recently got 6 eggs at pick-up, 2 were immature and of the remaining 4, 2 were damaged during ICSI and then of the other 2 only 1 fertilised. So there are risks with ICSI as well. We were recommended to use ICSI as in a previous cycle we didn't get a great fertilisation rate even though sperm was all tested to be ok.

So just be prepared that ICSI is not always the answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry to hear that none fertilised, something nobody wants to hear.

Icsi sounds like your best bet. We have been doing ICSI and had such great fertilisation results.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cloudy,

I know exactly how you feel - making the call the next day and being told "unfortunately it didn't work this time" after 2 weeks of jabbing yourself and operations etc is soul destroying.

I've done one cycle with zero fertilisation. The best fertilisation rate we've achieved is 20%...the more cycles we do, the worse it gets and that is with ICSI.

They say ICSI overcomes a lot of things, obviously not enough for us... DH has genetic sperm related issue, which our FS says is causing the low fert rate. Our path looks like donor sperm.

I really hope ICSI works for you next time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Update

Hi,

Just in case this thread is read in the future by anyone in the same position I thought I'd let you know that I have been back, had 31 eggs picked up and 27 fertilised with ICSI.

So I am very happy with that outcome and would like people to know there is some hope after such a horrible start.

Of course I won't know if any will implant for a while because due to the massive response I am at high risk for OHSS over the next few days and my doctor has recommended freezing all to reduce the risk.

But at least we have some embryos now!

All the best,

Cloudy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
    Hi,

Just in case this thread is read in the future by anyone in the same position I thought I'd let you know that I have been back, had 31 eggs picked up and 27 fertilised with ICSI.

So I am very happy with that outcome and would like people to know there is some hope after such a horrible start.

Of course I won't know if any will implant for a while because due to the massive response I am at high risk for OHSS over the next few days and my doctor has recommended freezing all to reduce the risk.

But at least we have some embryos now!

All the best,

Cloudy

Awesome result....... you don't OHSS. Take care of yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well done...amazing what medical science can achieve...hopefully a positive cycle till the end!