+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default PCOS and wheat intolerance

Hi - I need some advice

I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and am starting my first cycle of clomid.

I have been reading about wheat intolerance and its effect on PCOS, as far as I am aware I do not suffer from a what intolerance but wondered if maybe starting a gluten free diet would improve my symptoms - has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Heyside,

not sure about a gluten free diet but i imagine it would be along the same lines as a Low GI diet which is reccomended for PCOS.

So if you followed a low GI diet which limits the intake of carbohydrates which are often derivites of wheat i don't think it'd be hugely different to a gluten free diet. Just less strict.

Goodluck on the Clomid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLips View Post
    Hi Heyside,

not sure about a gluten free diet but i imagine it would be along the same lines as a Low GI diet which is reccomended for PCOS.

So if you followed a low GI diet which limits the intake of carbohydrates which are often derivites of wheat i don't think it'd be hugely different to a gluten free diet. Just less strict.

Goodluck on the Clomid.
    Thanks for the reply Bluelips

Since posting this message I have done a lot of research online and come across some very interesting reports including this one

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1507.asp

Once the interesing facts I read in this article included:
    Smith said that 85% of her PCOS clients test positive for a sensitivity to gluten. When these women remove gluten from their diets they often see a marked improvement in their PCOS symptoms

Found this amazing as this is a very high percentage.

Also I have read that people with a wheat intolerance also have problems with acne (which comes alongside pcos) and conditions such as asthma and Eczema and I have had problems with all of these conditions.

I am seriously considering this change of diet but I realise it is a huge lifestyle change so need to consider it carefully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, I am bringing this thread back into action which I started back in 2010 when I was starting to ttc DD, I never actually decided to follow the gluten free diet and finally conceived through fsh injections 6 months after posting in this thread. I have now started to look into ttc no.2 and have been doing more research and this topic has come up again. Has anyone actually tried this diet with success to relieve PCOS symptoms since I first posted this? Really considering this at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have pcos but started a gluten free diet 2 months ago. I feel great. I must have had an allergy to wheat because almost immediately there was no bloating and loose bowels after bread and spag bol etc. Still haven't conceive again, but I feel like a different person

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be interested in knowing more about it.

DH and I are looking at TTC #3 next year and it seems like every time we try it takes us longer and last time we needed the help of clomid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kazza78 - Sounds like you have a few symptoms there, great that you have overcome them with a gluten free diet. Good luck with ttc hope it works soon for you. I have no symptoms that I am aware of so unsure if it will help, still lots to think about I think.

Kimnus - Hope to find out lots more too from other people and their experiences will keep you updated on here. I think I remember you from my ttc no1 thread when ttc with my daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up discovering I'm gluten intolerant. Apparently it goes hand in hand with autoimmune thyroid disease which I also have.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (14-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's very interesting to read Bluelips, how did you find out and were you showing any obvious symptoms? I have read so much about it being linked to PCOS as well and seems to be linked to lots of other conditions also. Are you following a gluten free diet and has it helped? Sorry so many questions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave up wheat for 7 months and I have PCOS and I fell pregnant... I did have the help of clomid and ovidril so I'm not sure if it was the wheat free diet

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsboyts For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (14-07-2013)