+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Co-Sleeping?

Hello

I'm interested in co-sleeping. Bub will be in our room regardless for at least the first 4 months (due to lack of room :P) but I always thought that was co-sleeping...

But is co-sleeping actually with bub in bed? I don't want to start any debate, just would like some honest, driendly innfo on this... Has anyone done it? What do you thing?

And is there any way to safe-guard rolling on to bub in the middle of the night? I'm so paranoid!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Lots of people co-sleep in different ways, some have bub between right up near their heads, so there's no danger of blankets etc covering them, others sleep with bub in the crook of their arm. There are different products available that are a mini bassinette that you put bubs in on your bed. Or you can do a sidecar set up, which is what we did, we took the side off the cot and altered it so it was level with my side of the bed and made sure there were no gaps, so it essentially becomes an extension of your bed, but bub has it's own area. I did also sleep with bub just attached to my boob - we both got some sleep that way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    for the first 3 months or so, evie slept in our room in a bouncer beside our bed, and sometimes if we had her in our bed she would be up on a boomerang pillow in the middle, but our rule was that if one of us was alseep the other had to be awake either in bed or just pottering around the house (and would stick there head in and check every 15mins or so), or she had to go back in the bouncer.

now she only comes into our bed in the morning for cuddles, or during really hot days to nap in the aircon, but she get barracaded with pillows because she rolls and wriggles everywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have purchased a co-sleeper cot by Arms Reach.

It is like a side car set up to your bed. One side of the cot drops down and the cot is attached to your bed frame.

So baby is within arms reach and at the same level as your bed. However within her own little area.

Im really excited to use it as with my oldest I had him in bed with me. However it was just him and I in the bed.

With dh I dont feel comfortable having 3 in a bed so this sort of cot was the perfect alternative for me.

I plan to have baby in the co-sleeper till she is 12 months old.

I found co-sleeping so easy specially with night feeds. For me I would struggle to sleep if I couldnt touch baby to see how she is. So at least this way I will get more sleep because she will be right there.

It was a hefty expense about $400 but we got given a standard cot so we didnt have to buy two.

For day sleeps I plan on having baby in her own room in her cot. For night (and together) sleeps in the co-sleeper next to us.

I have heard the sids association support the use of side car cots as its a safe way to co-sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think co sleeping is all that great!! i would be PARANOID of rolling on my child. I have heard of to many baby deaths as well.. I don't like the idea personally.

Then again I couldn't STAND bubs in the same room, I woke up from EVERY noise!! This bubs is in its own room and NO baby monitor I can't stand hearing all the noises.. I wake up ALL the itme

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle040510 View Post
    I don't think co sleeping is all that great!! i would be PARANOID of rolling on my child. I have heard of to many baby deaths as well.. I don't like the idea personally.
    Michelle with a co-sleeper cot you can not roll on the baby because they are in their own bed. The bed is just saddled up next to yours.

http://www.inhabitots.com/wp-content...osleeper11.jpg

or

http://www.babyconcierge.co.uk/image...6764794000.jpg

Thats a picture of how they work
    Last edited by Mrs Mermaid; 17-02-2010 at 18:39. Reason: link

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle040510 View Post

Then again I couldn't STAND bubs in the same room, I woke up from EVERY noise!! This bubs is in its own room and NO baby monitor I can't stand hearing all the noises.. I wake up ALL the itme
    I think that if you choose to co-sleep, then you have to follow the guidelines properly ie don't sleep on the couch, don't drink, smoke or take drugs, if you're an extremely heavy sleeper, it's riskier, don't have heavy blankets or doonas etc... If you do so, then the risk to bub is extremely minimal. I personally liked having bub close, I could hear their breathing - SIDS freaks me out! Plus, mine breastfeed every two hours round the clock for four months - it helped me cope.

Each to their own

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! I was hoping that not only would it help bub and I (and especially dp) bond, but would also give us a little more room as our room is really small, and we're starying here sharing until bubs is about 4 months old... Is there any kind of basket or something that we could keep in the bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are some things in baby shops designed for co-sleeping. It's like a padded barrier so that you can't really roll onto bub but you have to put bub between you. Something like this http://www.babydelight.com/images/dsn_header.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I co sleep with two kids - the old fashioned way - all squashed up together

They both slept in the bassinet next to me for the first couple of months then came straight in with me.

I have seen those little cot things you put in bed with you but I never bothered with them - by the time my kids came in with me they could have rolled out of it anyway and to me having them roll out with it in the bed could be more dangerous.

To be honest I never wanted to with my second but it was the only way for me to get a good nights sleep.