+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How long does Adoption take in Australia

Hi

I'd be interested in finding out about adoption, as it's an option I'd like to consider if I can't have children. (I've had one miscarriage).

How long does it usually take to adopt a child in Australia from overseas? I've heard it can take upto 6 years which seems very long. And I've also read it can take 2 years in the UK, but that is for local adoption? Why so long for Australia, yet in the UK and US it seems less?

Thanks
    Reviews
    With LA (local adoption) there are no time limits -it takes (depending on the state) about 1 to 2 years to be processed to the point of approval. However birth families are consulted about who they relinquish there child to, so it really depends if your application/profile matches with what they are looking for. You do have a chance of never being placed.

The local waiting list is increasing all the time because so many of the ICA programs are now taking so long (ICA- inter-country adoption).

With ICA depending on the state to get to the approval point it can take anywhere between 2 to 4 years. A lot of the programs also have quota lists per year so once an application is approved only so many applications for certain countries can be sent that year. For example at the moment victoria is not accepting any more applications for Thailand because they have far exceeded their quota.

With Local adoption in the UK and USA there are a lot less social supports and govt supports that allow those having children to be able to keep their child.
    With ICA in the UK and USA many of their programs are now taking a long time as well - however the main difference is - UK more local adoptions thus reducing the demand on ICA - USA more ICA programs to select from.

You need to understand Australia only has a handful of overseas programs it works with. It's not like picking a country off the map.

My advice is to wait and see how you go first - I know I can't being to think or know what a m/c is like but as someone that did years of IVF with ED and then years of ICA, I think your jumping ahead of yourself just a little and give yourself a little time.

All up with ICA it could take anywhere between 4 to 9 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your answer, it is helpful. Were you succesful with ica?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi LuckyMe

My partner and I commenced with the ICA program in 2005, and to this day, our file still resides in a pile of manila folders in a public servants tray in Aust. Summary: forget it. It is the biggest white elephant and embarassment to the Govt; the let down factor cannot be overestimated, as for some couples, this is often too much to bear from an emotional and mental perspective.

Thank goodness my partner and I decided we would not let the Govt dictate whether we could have a family, so, we spent hundred + hrs researching alternatives, such as surrogacy in US, India, Ukraine etc. We finally decided upon India, and had our son 12 mths ago, with another bub due shortly. If we waited for adoption to come to fruition, well, the sad part is, we would probably no longer qualify, as we would be over the age limit in some countries (only takes 1 partner to be over age limit, and it is goodnight).

Speaking with my GP last week, he was astounded with the system in Aust. and thought surrogacy in India was a tremendous option. As I explained to him, for many couples, adoption is an option considered after eg failed IVF for countless years, and by the time adoption is considered, the age groups of those considering the program is often in late 30's or 40's. This alone, means the 6+ year wait, would disqualify those from being able to be placed with a child, as age limits kick in for many countries from 43.

Let me know if you would like further info.

Chrissie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi chrissie, thanks for the info, can you tell me why you chose India over the us, and were you concerned that you were exploiting or harming the woman?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Surrogacy

Hi, I've also been considering the option of adoption but appreciate that there is only a slim chance of being able to adopt. Could you let me know what your surrogacy costs were, per cycle and whether you used your own embryo and how many attempts it took for your surrogate to fall pregnant?

Many thanks,

Kathleen

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Surrogacy - India

Hi

We chose surrogacy in India over the US really because of price as primary consideration, as we knew some couples were paying well over $100k, whereas India is $30k - $35k per successful attempt. If you fail to have a pregnancy, you lose about $5k in India each attempt.

Very very good program, if you choose the reputable clinics. Never get influenced to go with some of the b grade clinics that are appearing and promoting $20k...you know there is ordinary standards and no ethical or responsibility and a high risk of losing your money.

We have had 2 babies now with the one clinic in Mumbai, with 2 attempts, thus 100% success rate. This is not the norm, but, the success rates are very high I have to say, as I know so many couples with babies and pregnancies happening...probably 50% of couples I know who have commenced the program have pregnancies or had their baby now.

We shipped per air transport our embryos from Aust to Mumbai. $2500 to do this.

Adoption..forget it. I read an article yesterday, to confirm what I have suspected for a year or so....10% chance now to actually adopt a baby inter country in Aust. Foster parents now seems to be the option to consider and I think in some cases, this may lead to an adoption opportunity. (correct me if I am wrong).

If you want precise info. happy to assist....send a private message and I will reply with the info. you will require to become properly informed.

Regards

Chrissie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Chrissie,

Thank you so much for this information, it has been really helpful, we’d love to have a second child so I’m trying to work out what options may be available to us and surrogacy isn’t an option I had considered up until now, your advice has been really helpful.

Thanks Kath

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Surrogacy - India

Hi Kath

Yes, it is a real option. We had doubts about it when we first went there....I thought our money would disappear and it was all going to be a farce. I was so wrong. With one clinic, 2 attempts over 18 mths, and now we have 2 babies, 15 mths apart...we are so thrilled.

Act sooner rather than later, as the Aust govt are not too keen on agreeing to the requests of the proposed Indian laws, (which could go through legislation any month from now). These laws are all terrific and really tighten up on protection of foreigners as well, as all importantly, the surrogates. However, one stipulation I have been informed about, is the requirement for the foreign govt to guarantee citizenship of the baby prior to the birth....this is too much to ask, and hence our govt have already said No. Our govt are not keen on comm surrogacy to start with, so, they will always look for an option to deter couples from going to India. I do know 1st hand per our consulate in Mumbai, that the Aust govt have been quiet on the whole program, as they have realised themselves, how successful it has been for Aust couples, particularly the disadvantaged infertile couples, who have no options back in Aust to have a family.

I can forward you a link to India Times article on this subject if you like. Let me know.

Chrissie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies are given up for adoption less and less within Australia. When i gave my baby up almost 10 years ago now only 30 babies per year where adopted. Sadly that number has decreased again.

The govenment just gives out too much money to babies having babies which IMHO is not a great thing.

Yes it can take a while, but then again you can be lucky. My adoptive parents I chose were lucky enough to be chosen again a couple of years later

You see as a birth mother you let your counciller know what sort of a family you would like and they pick out three profiles to look at. (I dont think waiting time comes into play much as I remember asking who had been longest waiting!)

Hope this helps a little