+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New to Newcastle area - primary school information needed

Hi!
    We're excited about our move to Newcastle (from Brisbane) in a couple of months, but we don't know anything about the area. Our eldest child is starting school next year and the location of a good school will determine where we'll consider living.
    Can anyone help out with some information on good (smaller) primary schools please? We'd be happy with a public school.
    Any information on family friendly suburbs also appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    New Lambton South Public School is awesome! It's a state school, with around 350 kids. It's small and the kids all know each other, the teachers all know the kids names, it has a nice atmosphere.
    It is a fantastic learning environment.

New Lambton has some great streets, parks and is generally an wonderful suburb...we bought here 7 years ago because of that school. I also have a friend who has just rented a house so she can be in zone for that school- it really si fantastic.

Welcome to Newcastle (when you get here)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi there!
    there are loads of great schools here, and it really depends on where abouts you are going to be, in the Newcastle and greater suburbs, closer to Lake Maquarie or out Maitland way
    and what your idea of small schools are
    ,y younger brother went to two primary schools since we moved here 1 years ago one had a 120 kids the other only 27

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi and welcome! as codswallop said, if you know the suburb you are moving too we can give you lots more info, there are heaps of schools in the general area

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for you replies.
    In regards to size of school, I guess preferably no more than 300-400 pupils. Our school of choice here was one of 180, not the one of 1500 down the road. I do find it important that the kids know each other and the teachers know their names too.
    My partner will be working in the Seahampton area (new bypass to Kurri Kurri) and we'd like to live within approx 30 minutes drive from there.
    Can't wait, yay!

Thanks Roopee, codswallop and lizzymcfizzy

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok, I got confused and just started writing about schools up my way then realised where seahampton is after looking up whereis.com.au its closer to suburbs like minmi, wallsend and jesmond.

but, if you wanted to look further towards maitland I will leave the info that I started to type.....

in that case I don't know the size and reputation of the schools but around that area you could choose a nice suburb like

Maitland, East Maitland, Thornton (newer area), Metford (newer area), beresfield (lots of retirees), ashtonfield (best one),

I hear the lady of lourds school at Tarro is good but I wouldn't live at Tarro. I think you have to live within a certain range of the school otherwise you have to request an 'out of area' thing.

come to think of it, there is lots of catholic schools around.

Tenambit PS has a good rep, certain areas are ok to live in (I live in tenambit myself and want to move)

Hunter valley Grammer is supposed to be good but $$$

or on the other side of seahampton - weston , heddon greata and kurri kurri - much quieter than the other side but less 'options' like entertainment, takeaway etc and more drive into newcastle or maitland.

i hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Newcastle East Public School is great school, no more than 200 pupils. But after reading you need to be close to Kurri Kurri, it isn't a good choice for you. It's a shame, because it really is a great school. Our daughter started there this year and is very happy there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we lived in Newcastle my kids went to The Junction and it was awesome But it is right in the city, Junction/Merewether area. we were out of zone, but we met with the principal and got in that way.

I have a friend who has a child at mayfield west which is a demonstration school so they often try out new trials in education there, and it hasn't been very good for her, she doesn't like it at all. They have plans to move into another zone soon.

I have only heard good things about new lambton too, I was told basically junction or new lambton when we were looking, and because DH was doing his apprenticeship in merewether, and we lived in hamilton, junction was easier for us, since then I also heard good things about newcastle east but you'd never know where it was if you weren't looking for it, lol.

Anyway I'm not sure further out, maitland might be a good option - plus it's cheaper to live there than in the city itself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies. We are flying to Newcastle in a couple of weeks to drive around and get a general impression of the place. With all the information gathered we have some idea where we'd like to settle and hopefully we'll find a suitable house in the next few months.
    Have heard many great stories about the place and we are really looking forward to our big move!
    Thanks again,
    Kaiana