+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had Dr Davis as my OB. I work at wollongong hospital and I refused to have my bits exposed to everyone I knew in there. I asked around and most of the people asked said that they would use Dr Davis out of all the other doctors in a second. It also helps he is the head of all the other OBs in wollongong.

I needed an emergency c-section with my little man as he was so distressed and Dr Davis kept me and my DH so informed and calm and I would use him again in a heart beat.

From memory we had to pay $2100 but got some back from medicare and the rest was covered by the PHI.

Good luck in your search

Sent from my HTC Desire using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much ladies!

First time round i went through the antenatal clinic in wollongong hospy (we now live down on Jervis Bay) and i have done a tour of the maternity/labour wards of shoalhaven hospy thru school (im a teacher) and i wasn't impressed.

The care on the ward i received in wollongong after i had my daughter was disgusting to say the least.

I had a midwife make me cry. I suffer from depression and had the social worker just come and dump an envelope full of photo copied pamphlets on my bed- gee that was helpful, had to wait 4 hours for a new sheet for DD's bassinet then got yelled at for 'spoiling' my daughter by holding her too much - umm well if i had a new sheet then i could put her in the bassinet! And i remember walking the corridors with a screaming bub, bleeding nipples and crying coz i just didn't know what else to do and there was not 1 nurse on the ward - changeover meeting apparently.

I refuse to go through that again.

thanks again ladies!! (sorry that turned into a bit of a rant!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmamo View Post
    Thank you so much ladies!

First time round i went through the antenatal clinic in wollongong hospy (we now live down on Jervis Bay) and i have done a tour of the maternity/labour wards of shoalhaven hospy thru school (im a teacher) and i wasn't impressed.

The care on the ward i received in wollongong after i had my daughter was disgusting to say the least.

I had a midwife make me cry. I suffer from depression and had the social worker just come and dump an envelope full of photo copied pamphlets on my bed- gee that was helpful, had to wait 4 hours for a new sheet for DD's bassinet then got yelled at for 'spoiling' my daughter by holding her too much - umm well if i had a new sheet then i could put her in the bassinet! And i remember walking the corridors with a screaming bub, bleeding nipples and crying coz i just didn't know what else to do and there was not 1 nurse on the ward - changeover meeting apparently.

I refuse to go through that again.

thanks again ladies!! (sorry that turned into a bit of a rant!)
    Rant away. Are you thinking of going to a private hospital?

Figtree Hospital was great and the nurses there are great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    sure am! Figure is the closest .... read ONLY private hospy I can go so I'm gonna go there. Rather take the risk of having to travel in the middle of the night to figure than deal with a public hosp again.

That is such a relief that you had a great experience there! Definitely a relief.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I ended up having an emergency c-section and they were wonderful. I had to stay in 7 days and they really take care of you and the food isn't bad either!

Because I lost so much blood during the c-section my milk didn't come in and before they diagnoses this problem my baby was scream everytime he was a wake and at one stage I had 5 nurses in my room looking after us both, making sure that I had meds, and bathing my bub and comforting him as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Working in wollongong Hospital there has been a lot of bad things been said about Dr McCosker but you can't always trust what you hear...if I didn't have Dr Davis I would have chosen either Dr Coleman or Walton.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Where can you get birth stats?

Hi missie_mack
    Your post was very useful to me as I had heard from others that the stats for Wollongong birth outcomes were actually much better than the private hospitals. Where do you get access to these stats?

Also interested in your suggestion to hire a private midwife - is there anyone you recommend? and what can you expect from them?

thanks
    lizzieruth

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    My experience at Wollongong wasn't much better. However birth wise they were fantastic and have it hands down on birth outcomes on Figtree when you look at the Mothers and Babies reports. I was stunned to see that Figtree as a 1 in 2 intervention rate and if you are induced (which a LOT of women are) they are remiss to let you off the bed to birth or anything. Their VBAC success rate is 7 in 100 where as in Wollongong it is 1 in 4. Wollongong is also the only hospital that does waterbirths. If only you could birth in Wollongong and recover in Figtree

Seriously look at the stats before choosing your hospital. Sadly it doesn't seem to be dependent on your OB for your outcome- as the same OBs basically serve both hospitals. And don't forget there are also private midwives in our area. Employing a private midwife is not just for homebirth

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wollongong OB's

Hi Ladies, I've recently moved from Sydney and trying to book an OB. We want to go private, can anyone tell me what OB's will operate out of the new Maternity Ward at Wollongong Private Hospital.

Also there are 3 OB's that keep coming up Dr Greening, Dr Coleman and Dr Davis. Any reccomendations on these three? This is our first baby.

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the new wollongong private maternity starts 18th of jan 2016. I dont know who the obs are thou...hospital looks very nice thou

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Dr Greening's books may be closed unless you're a previous patient. He also runs the new low cost IVF clinic I believe so he's a very busy man.
    I had Dr Coleman and really liked him, he's quite easygoing and approachable. I liked that he chatted to DP too and I never felt we were being rushed out the door.
    Dr Davis is the head ob in town and is very good, as you'd expect. Some say his bedside manner is a little lacking but his knowledge and skill make up for that (apparently he does a very tidy c-section).
    Dr Walton is another very good ob. Everyone I know who's gone with Dr Walton has said he's an absolutely lovely man and very caring. He also likes his ladies to stay in after birth for longer to recover.
    There is also a lady ob, I think her name is Dr Basheer? But I don't really know much about her.
    Whoever you choose, get in early!