+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know a family that recently received a transfer from a smaller housing commission house to a larger one (due to having multiple children including a SN child).

They had to pay for their aircon to be moved, and for carpeting. Apparently housing commission do not provide floor coverings as they are not deemed necessities.

I am afraid I don't really know a lot about the subject, but thought I would pass on those two little tidbits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks sweetseven

The reason I asked about the flooring is because my SIL had to provide carpet when she moved into her DOH home. She also knows someone else who had to lay down their own carpet and lino in the kitchen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They don't pay for any "extra's". Sometimes you can get lucky and move into a house that has some extra's that were installed by the previous tenants - but not often.

My house DID come with some built in shelving and 2 built in cupboards to the kids' bedrooms but there were installed by the previous tenants and the dept agreed to leave them in place as they "added to the value of the property". Air cons are not standard though and I think it's also some sort of insurance reason why they HAVE to be removed (and house put back to original state) when (if) you ever move out.

Also things like sheds etc have to be brought by the tenant. My lights were all just the naked bulbs as well and I had to buy my own fittings for those (still haven't brought all of them yet).

If you have a "special" need you can get the department to pay for some things - like my elderly next door neighbours got some special cupboards built into their kitchen that actually swivel around (kind of lazy susan style) so they don't need to bend over or reach far to get the things at the back because they both have arthritis. I can't get those (although I think they are awesome) because I am able bodied.

I did get a hot water thing (that keeps the hot water from getting too hot) because I have young children and nearly scalded my son the first night here - the department sent a plumber the very next day to address that.

I am also getting a new oven this year because mine is over 15 years old and they update them on some sort of schedule (so they do a bunch of houses in the same area all at once) so that is exciting! I also got another shower rail installed a week after moving in (just because I asked and they agreed).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Still waiting

Hi,
    This is the first time I have posted in here and I just wanted to say that I am a single mum and currently live in my car with my daughter. I have been going into our local department of housing centre daily now for 6 months and I am very high needs. I have gone to all the emergency housing places and still have not been offered a place. My older child is staying with her friends so she isnt having to sleep in the car with us but we have been told that we could potentially still be waiting another 12 months to be offered a house. I have applied for the least desirable areas and I have even told them that I would accept a house outside the areas I have applied for but there is still nothing available. I have had supporting letters from my psychologist and agencies that I work with and even supporting letters from Child Safety stating that I will lose custody of my children if I do not get a place. I am not able to afford the private rental market on a centrelink benefit and I have applied for literally everything in my price range and been rejected on every application. I am paying for a storage shed for all my property that is only for 9 months. I would suggest still applying but definately not hold your breath on being offered anything anytime soon. I have been in this position now for about 6 months and I am still waiting. I have no family or friends that I can stay with as their places are not big enough and they have given letters to support that. If I am still sleeping in my car and waiting then I am sorry to say that you are not likely to be offered anything while you still have a place to live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KylieRichardson View Post
    Hi,
    This is the first time I have posted in here and I just wanted to say that I am a single mum and currently live in my car with my daughter. I have been going into our local department of housing centre daily now for 6 months and I am very high needs. I have gone to all the emergency housing places and still have not been offered a place. My older child is staying with her friends so she isnt having to sleep in the car with us but we have been told that we could potentially still be waiting another 12 months to be offered a house. I have applied for the least desirable areas and I have even told them that I would accept a house outside the areas I have applied for but there is still nothing available. I have had supporting letters from my psychologist and agencies that I work with and even supporting letters from Child Safety stating that I will lose custody of my children if I do not get a place. I am not able to afford the private rental market on a centrelink benefit and I have applied for literally everything in my price range and been rejected on every application. I am paying for a storage shed for all my property that is only for 9 months. I would suggest still applying but definately not hold your breath on being offered anything anytime soon. I have been in this position now for about 6 months and I am still waiting. I have no family or friends that I can stay with as their places are not big enough and they have given letters to support that. If I am still sleeping in my car and waiting then I am sorry to say that you are not likely to be offered anything while you still have a place to live.
    I am really saddened to read of your situation. Your family and friends don't even have a couch, a garage or tiny bit of space to sleep on? No offense but what sort of so called family and friends allow someone they know to live in a car with their child?! (And write supporting documents to say they can't help)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KylieRichardson View Post
    Hi,
    OMG.. I assume you've tried contacting the salvos? Maybe local churches can help?

How old is your younger child? Does he/ she go to school? What state are you in?

I can't believe you can't receive emergency housing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you spoken to a centrelink social worker? They can give referals to emergency accommodation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in homelessness on the mid north coaster and unfortunately social/community housing waitlists are 10+ years. You can google to find out what they are on your area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest going in every few days and changing one of your areas to a different area, to maximise your exposure.

Note: I have no knowledge of the inner workings but believe your waitlist position is based on when you applied (or had your priority upgraded) not when you select an area, so by switching to other areas you might find yourself at the front of the queue in one area.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

TwilightZ  (22-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 1 sister here and she is in a 1 bedroom unit with her daughter who is due to have a baby. She simply doesnt have the room. My so called friends have issues with the partner I have chosen and dont want to help us out. This has made me really think about the friendships that I have. When people are in desperate need of help most people turn their backs. Fingers crossed though that I get something soon. After I posted I called housing and was told that there might be something next week. They are seeing what they can do. I have also been told that as I have pets I can not go into emergency housing. I can not afford to pay for a shelter for them as well as storage for my property and be able to eat. I have been talking to everyone including local members and I keep coming to a dead end. I have tried everything possible the last 2 or 3 months and I just simply gave up after going to everywhere possible and being told that even if I didnt have pets there is nothing available where I live. I think it is sad that they dont have enough housing that parents and their kids are on the street. Emergency housing should be just that. For those who need it urgently and not for those who simply want cheaper housing. I personally can not afford private rental at $300 plus per week with only having about $1200 a fortnight income. I cant possible afford to keep the house running and get my kids the things they need
    Last edited by KylieRichardson; 15-07-2016 at 08:13. Reason: Didnt see other posts and wanted to respond to them all