Our lease runs out in March and hubby and I are desperate to get out of here as this place just isn't worth what we pay in rent per week. We wanted to move out in September when our lease ended and applied for tons of places but didn't find anything and ended up having to sign on here for another 6 months. Income was the issue and it's going to be an issue this time around, again and we just can't stay here for another 6 months, it's doing our head in LOL.
I didn't even think of applying for a Housing Commission home last time but it's occurred to me now that maybe we should. I'm wondering if we'd be classed as high priority? due to the fact that I'm not working and will be on benefits, will have a newborn and hubby either won't be working or will be working on an income that just doesn't/isn't cutting it in the rental market.
My questions are:
1) Did you get a home you're happy with in an area you applied for?
2) What priority were you and how long did it take you to receive an offer of housing after you first applied?
3) Is the home you're in suitable in your opinion? As in what cooling does it have (ie fans, air con) and is there a bath tub in the bathroom or just a shower? Does it have any security features?
4) Is the rent significantly less than it would be if you were living in a rental home?
5) Did you have to install anything yourself? like carpet, flooring? light fittings etc?
Any advice would be appreciated I would really like to apply for a place now (before I've had bub) but I don't see how we can do this without incurring massive penalties for breaking our lease. I do believe this place is unsuitable but I'm not sure if others would see it that way or not.