Seroquel & breastfeeding | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

I agree with Babelfish - see a perinatal psychiatrist if at all possible. I've found mine so great at putting my mind at ease.

Mine suggested two websites for finding info on pregnancy and breastfeeding and different drugs.

www.motherisk.org
    www.womensmentalhealth.org

I also like pubmed.gov. They do have some very limited studies on breastfeeding while on seroquel (quietiapine).

Good luck! Try not to be too hard on yourself. I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right choice for you and your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm sorry, I don't know about other mood stabilisers in pregnancy or breastfeeding - it's a shame you can't get the information you are after. I'll ask my doctor about the Lamictil next time I see him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't know about other mood stabilisers in pregnancy or breastfeeding - it's a shame you can't get the information you are after. I'll ask my doctor about the Lamictil next time I see him.
    I was on fluoxetin throughout ,my pregnancy and am bf... No side effect in my baby as far as I can tell!

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thomas Hales' Medications and Mother's Milk' is probably the best text in terms of up to date evidence and most LCs and pharmacies will have it. www.infantrisk.org is his website. This is the toxnet entry, which is fairly comprehensive.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolahappy View Post
    Wo=w
    thkyou ever so much for your quick reply.Im actually living in germany at the moment,just happen to find your posting online after looking at waht feels like 100's of different forums on the subject fo breastfeeding on meds.It's all pretty in conclusive and there is not studies to show.I am happy to read that your pregnancy and your breastfeeding went well.I hope that I will be able to do the same,its just that im not only on 200mg of seroqual but also 100mg of lamictal.so i wish i could make the right decision.I want to breastfeed so bad and I am thinking that my best way to go would to be to combination feed.Thanx again for your quick response.
    This is the entry for lamotrigine, which makes it sound not unreasonable to breastfeed on your dose, in comparison to the women mentioned who were taking 400mg.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

CookingMonster  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky2006 View Post
    I was on fluoxetin throughout ,my pregnancy and am bf... No side effect in my baby as far as I can tell!
    Fluoxetine is not a mood stabiliser though, it's an antidepressant. Lamictil is a mood stabiliser and there is much less known about the effects of these than there are with antidepressants.

I was on fluoxetine too (Prozac) for many, many years before falling pregnant. It's a good one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

The great thing about Lamictal is that even though it's only been prescribed as a mood stabilizer for less than 10 years it has been on the market as an anti-convulsant for nearly 20. So, there is better research on it than most others.

My peri-natal psychiatrist and geneticist were both encouraging of my using it while pregnant and breast -feeding as neg side effects tend to be dosage related - over 200mg.

To all those very knowledgeable ladies on this thread - is there any support thread for women managing mental illness while TTC, preggers and beyond? I'm TTC and bipolar II and don't really fit into the existing mental health threads. Would love to have a group to check in with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Babelfish,

I've been searching everywhere for information on Seroquel and pregnancy/breastfeeding and the information seems quite dated.
    I'd love to know who your perinatal psychiatrist is, even if it's just to call him and ask for info. I live on the NSW/QLD border just south of the Gold Coast and no one around here knows of ANY perinatal psychiatrists existing (even my psychiatrist in Brisbane).

I'm currently on 300mg of Seroquel and as it's a much higher dose than you were on yourself, I'd love to speak to someone who has experience in this field.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

sales@mylittleowlhandmade.com.au if you'd like to contact me. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear02 View Post
    Hi Babelfish,

I've been searching everywhere for information on Seroquel and pregnancy/breastfeeding and the information seems quite dated.
    I'd love to know who your perinatal psychiatrist is, even if it's just to call him and ask for info. I live on the NSW/QLD border just south of the Gold Coast and no one around here knows of ANY perinatal psychiatrists existing (even my psychiatrist in Brisbane).

I'm currently on 300mg of Seroquel and as it's a much higher dose than you were on yourself, I'd love to speak to someone who has experience in this field.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

sales@mylittleowlhandmade.com.au if you'd like to contact me. Thanks
    I'm currently on 50mg. I was on 200mg but found it made me too drowsy. I'm bf my son who is almost 3 weeks old. Call the aba and they can give you more advice. Are you on the standard or the modified release? I'm on the modified release. My psych and my gp ob are fine with me feeding whilst on it

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply

Will definitely call them. Sort of more looking for information related to pregnancy at this point though.

300mg certainly makes me drowsy, but unfortunately it's the minimum I can have and be stable. It's much nicer than the 600mg I was on before I reduced. I've tried getting down to 200mg though and it didn't go well.

Did your psych refer you to a perinatal psych? Would really put my mind at ease to talk to someone who deals with this specifically. I'm really worried, but really determined to have a baby also.