+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am relocating to Brisbane. Need some guidance about Mcdowall state school, or any schools in the surrounding suburbs(Chermiside,aspley,Albany creek,everton park,stafford). My son will be eligible for enrollment next year.
    Moreover,is MSS better than nearby private ones?

Will highly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicemum View Post
    Hi, I am relocating to Brisbane. Need some guidance about Mcdowall state school, or any schools in the surrounding suburbs(Chermiside,aspley,Albany creek,everton park,stafford). My son will be eligible for enrollment next year.
    Moreover,is MSS better than nearby private ones?

Will highly appreciate the help. Thanks.
    MSS - you need to live in the catchment area.. I have done alot of research and question asking around, & I have found that Albany creek , Albany Hills, McDowall State school, & Patricks rd state school seem to have the most positive things said about them. Craigslea at Chermside I have stopped bothering with, every time I have emailed or rung up to ask a question it's as if they are put out and are either rude or just don't send me the information back. The main road it's on has a high school next to it, and a couple of day care centres, so it's ALOT of traffic around on that main drag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot,for the information,darling.
    one more question- if we get a house which is 2-3 streets out of MSS catchment area,does that matters.
    Where are your kids going finally.
    This relocating is quite tough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicemum View Post
    Thanks a lot,for the information,darling.
    one more question- if we get a house which is 2-3 streets out of MSS catchment area,does that matters.
    Where are your kids going finally.
    This relocating is quite tough
    Well, we actually live 2 streets out of the catchment area!!! lol. funny you ask the question. but I rang up and the ladies in the office said you end up on the waiting list unfortunately. It is a real bummer.

I have my kids names down at Prince of Peace lutheran college at Everton Hills and my dd has gotten into the kindy for next year (it's K-12), but as far as a public school goes, It annoys me that i'd have to drive right past MSS and go further when it's right under my nose. I would pick Albany Hills State school. they have a very very wide range of extra curricular activities as well. (more than anywhere else i'd looked at). Plus i did a random tour on a regular school day, so everyone was doing what they normally do. I was pretty impressed! nice clean school grounds, every classroom has airconditioning as well, and I didn't see any kids acting silly etc. The deputy principal was very pleasent as well. hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all of the feedback/discussion. Just wondering if there has been any updates on people actually sending their child to Stafford Heights? I know they have a new principal now and their numbers are up so maybe the reputation is getting better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 children and they all either went to or are attending this school. It used to be a little rough but all that has changed due to new principle who does not tolerate any sort of crap. I like it because it is a smaller school so the kids get more one on one treatment and the teachers know most students, and they really care about what they do and how they are coping. I have 1 more child left in this school and the teachers he has now are the teachers his sisters had so I know what to expect each year. It is a really good school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone
    I'm new to this forum business ... I find reading all your comments really helpful. Has anyone currently got children at Somerset Hills State School? Any comments about the school .. am thinking about where to send my kids in 2015 (prep).
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    where abouts are you located? some of the schools have catchments..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    where abouts are you located? some of the schools have catchments..
    Hi Minchi
    we are in Chermside West so our catchment is Craigslea. Think it's too big of a school. I've already put our name down at SHSS but wanted to get some feedback on it.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know this is an old thread, but since someone may chance across it like I have, I'll give my 2 cents. We have experience with McDowall State School and Somerset Hills State School. We transferred out girl from MSS to SHSS for many, many reasons. We do not regret the move & she is MUCH happier there! It is such a small, friendly school & the girls seem to work together to support each other so well (I've heard it when they didn't realise I was around).
    I'm just sad we wasted 5 years at MSS before discovering this gem of a school!!