+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It's tough isn't it, you spend all week working then all weekend preparing for the next week.

Laundry - I try and do a load at night or set a load off in the morning. I also try to hang a load out in the morning if there's one. I try to hang things on coat hangers when I put them on the line so I can put them straight in the cupboard when they are dry.

Bathroom - I keep a cleaning cloth in the bathroom and give the sink a bit of a wipe down if necessary. To clean the toilet I get some toilet paper and give it a dust and clean.

Kitchen - I've given up

Groceries - if I was organised I would buy them online during the week. Can you designate one evening a week to go grocery shopping?

If you can afford a cleaner and/or someone to mow the lawns every couple of weeks it would be of great benefit too.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i've found that i've had to start multitasking. DS takes forever to eat his breakfast, so while i'm feeding him i do the washing up.

i try and prepare every thing for the next working day b4 i go to bed so the mornings are not a rush.

i have tried the whole pre-cooking meals, but havent done that for a while - but it was really helpful when i did do it!

I am intending to do up a weekly roster - so that i dont feel overwhelmed. If i get the cleaning urge i do whatever, but at least with the roster, i have set jobs i have to do each day and even if i only get this done, at least i feel like im doing some thing! lol (for eg fridays i give the bathroom a really good cleaning)

Thanks
    Reviews
    *Bump*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    oh and limit my BH time...

NOT!!!!! LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi there

I work 4 days a week with only one day off in a row (HATE IT)...

To ease the load I try to do washing during the week, like throw a load on either after work or early in the morning and hang it up on the clothes airer.

I also plan meals. So I might do a day of cooking a few things, portion them out in chinese containers and freeze them. Planning all the meals definitely helps to save time.

Housework wise I do usually spend one of my days off catching up on it and then if me and DP clean as we go it usually will stay pretty nice for 2 weeks. So I dedicate one day a fortnight to a big clean.

It is hard and sometimes you do just have to let some things go and leave it for later.

hope you can balance things out a bit better soon, it's not easy that's for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I just say that this is all really helpful advice! I'm returning to work in a few weeks and even though it's only three days a week I'm trying to get my head around how I'll juggle everything with 2 kids.

One thing I have done for some time now and will definitely continue when I go back to work is food shop online. I get them delivered at night. It saves me time, you still get most of the specials plus you can see exactly how much your food shop is as you go along and can easily delete any items you might not really need if you're working within a budget.

Question for WorkingClassMum - vinegar in the rinse cycle of the wash to keep them fresh sounds like a good idea! I don't usually like to wash and leave my clothes for too long, but this might be my answer! How much do you add? Just in the fabric softner dispenser?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work full time and am hoping to get job #2 don't really want to but bah 2 more years of study she'll be right. DP is a full time student and works part time, so we live a very very crazy busy life.

I have 3 step kids, 1 dog and 2 cats so the house gets messy pretty quick.

my pointers:
    1. enlist the kids. example: miss 6 loves helping with the cleaning. I give her a squirty bottle with oil of cloves/water in it (kills mold) she stands in the bath/shower sprays and scrubs away, you get little foot prints in the bottom but they rinse out in the first shower so it doesn't matter, whilst I clean the rest. also if you give kids a vaccume they can do most of it and you just have to go over the edges
    2. Do a little bit every day, DP & I set asside 20 min, put a cd on and tidy. It does mean I very rarely have a 100% perfect house but it is allways easy to scrub up if we have people over.
    3. When I'm really (50hr weeks) busy I get my groceries delivered which helps. you can organise a 2 hour delivery window with wollies.com and I multi task and do 2 hours of cleaning to catch up

hope that helps.

P.S. - bicarb sodav& white vinegar is the best thing ever to clean ovens, stoves, etc.
    - 500ml squirty bottle of water with 10-15drops of clove oil, spray it in your shower after each time you use it. it kills mold and it smells nice
    -use higher priced/ better quality laundry poweder. use half the recomended amount. your clothes last longer and you save $$$ but get just as clean.
    -depending how fit and able you are, get down on your hands and knees just once and clean the floor. I did it once now do it every couple of months. it takes way longer but boy it makes you feel good to see all the skirting look spectacluar and for some reason it seems cleaner.

YES I AM NUTS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmy View Post

Question for WorkingClassMum - vinegar in the rinse cycle of the wash to keep them fresh sounds like a good idea! I don't usually like to wash and leave my clothes for too long, but this might be my answer! How much do you add? Just in the fabric softner dispenser?
    about 1/4 cup

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by funnymama View Post
    Hi,

I understand what you mean. I work 4 days per week and spend an hour each way in traffic. It really is tough to find time. I have no 'ideal answer' but here are a few things I do:
    -i've lowered my standards (hard but I had to otherwise I would never have 'play time' with my son). I used to have an immaculate house, now its just clean.
    -I cook very basic during the week. I bought a crockpot and will make a big pot so when I come home after work there is a meal there. I then freeze the remainder and there is enough for my dh and son for another meal. In summer I buy meat and have as many bbq's as possible. I then add a simple salad etc.
    -Once a week I will go shopping after my son is in bed. Luckily our closest supermarket is open till 9pm. I see this as a bit of 'me time'. Bit lame but its a positive way to see it.
    -Once every 4-6 weeks I will have a cooking afternoon. Husband and son get shoved out the door and I cook 3-4 dishes in bulk to freeze.
    -I put the washing machine on at night and hang it up in the morning. I put the dishwasher on at night and put the dishes away in the morning.
    -I never fold my sons clothes. (He is nearly 3 and pulls everything out at least once a week. Its a waste of my time).
    -I refuse to pick up after my husband. Luckily he is a bit of a neat freak and doesn't like mess anyway.
    -If people are coming over for a visit, I clean the toilets, bathrooms and kitchen and close the bedroom doors so they can't see the mess.
    -I dont buy clothes that need ironing
    -I diarise everything! That way I have time to plan in advance.
    -Every few months I have a cleaner come for 2 hours (not much but it is all I can afford). In that time she does windows, skirting boards, kitchen cupboards and goes through my fridge chucking out anything growing mould.
    -My husband is expected to help out around the house. It doesn't 'cut it' if he thinks he looks after the 'outside'. I also have a rule that if he wishes to complain about how the household runs then it must mean that he can do it better. (He now knows better than to comment)
    -I also think about any of my other working friends. None of their home lives are 'perfect' due to a lack of time. I'm happy to have the comparison.
    -I get up at 5-5.30am three times per week (my monkey is up at 6am). That way I get a bit of a head start.
    -I also generally don't sit down till 8.30pm but by then son is sleeping, kitchen is clean, bags are organised for the next day etc etc. I hate waking to mess!
    Those are some great tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Howdy - I have two littlies, a full time job (one day from home when I fit a playgroup session in) and a lazy husband.....

Anyway my tips are:

Be organised - I have everything for the next day sorted the night before - even the weekends. Bags packed, drink bottles fresh and in the fridge, clothes laid out, shoes lined up...... anything that can be loaded in the car in advance in the car. Dinner for the next night defrosting or planned.....

I wash every second day so it doesnt build up and peg it out while the kids eat.

I dont go to bed without the house being tidy.

A rechargeable carpet sweeper is fantastic.

I have a cleaner and that makes a world of difference!!! I love her to bits! You could maybe even ask a mummy mate who might fancy a bit of cash?

I use my slow cooker, and I am totally not above buying a ready done quiche, lasagna or cooked chook for dinner (in fact a cooked chook will do two nights dinner .) Team it with a salad and noone is going to suffer. When I can I cook extra and freeze.

Have I mentioned being organised???? You HAVE to be!! Use it - put it back. Dirty it - clean it. Drop it - pick it up. De clutter and make sure everything has a place and a purpose.

And most important - make sure there is time in every day to love your babies!

Now when I work out how to fit "me" in to this I will get back to you....