+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you take the pressure off weekends?

How do you take the pressure off weekends to do all the housework, cooking, shopping, etc?

After working a long week I'm exhausted by the time the weekend rolls around and if we have something like a party our schedule is thrown and we end up with no clean clothes or no groceries.

So, what are your suggestions/tips/hints?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I take the pressure off by not doing any cleaning or cooking on the weekends. I dont work during the week though but if I did I would get a cleaner to come during the week, do shopping online and have it delivered and get takeaway or go out to eat on the weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleander View Post
    I take the pressure off by not doing any cleaning or cooking on the weekends. I dont work during the week though but if I did I would get a cleaner to come during the week, do shopping online and have it delivered and get takeaway or go out to eat on the weekends.

Sorry hun, but it's obvious you don't work, and these comments don't help.

If I could afford a cleaner, I wouldn't be working, if I could afford takeaway or to eat out each w/e I just wouldn't be working

I understand, I seem to spend all Saturday catching up from the week, and all day Sunday getting ready for the next week.

I do a load of washing each night and use vinegar in the rinse to stop it smelling - even if it has to hang out for a few days until I can get it in. I do my best to make sure I don't have a tonne of washing on the weekend.

I go to the market every Saturday morning, leaving home at 6 and getting home by 8 - so half the shopping is done and I can get DD to Ballet by 9am. I race through the supermarket during the hour DD is at Ballet, and as such the shopping is 99% finished

The rest of it is just a juggling race. Good luck hun. It gets a bit easier as the kids get older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

I work all week, just doing house cleaning actually, but pretty soon I will be condensing and cutting clients because I will be studying full-time as well.

Weekends for me will be hectic but I have figured out a plan.
    Anything that comes up (b-day party, family get together ect) will have to be planned 3 weeks in advance or I don't go.
    I do my house cleaning every morning and night. I set my washing machine to start an hour and a half before I wake up, then chuck it all in the dryer (make sure i clean the lint before hand... or I might have some very crispy clothing upon my return home). When I come home in the arvo, cook dinner (make sure you leave reminders to get any frozen meat out before you go home, and have all ingredients that do not require chilling on the bench ready to go. I clean as I cook so after dinner there isn't a huge amount of washing up to do (and I am saving to buy a dishwasher)

I would suggest hiring a cleaner who won't mind chucking a load of washing on and hanging it out while he or she is there. And perhaps getting her to come over int he afternoon ad part of her duties is to to a basic prep on a meal. I do this and clean a house (tidy, clean all bathrooms, vacuum and mop. Wash clothing, and prep in 2 hrs, plus I only charge $20 p/h) I also do ironing which takes the stress of my clients who all have children and work fulltime. If you can afford it then try and find someone who is reasonably priced and will do what u need them to do.

And plan plan plan so you and ur kids can relax on the weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the suggestions. Keep the tips coming.

I currently work 5 minutes from home but in 3 weeks I'll be working nearly 75 minutes from home, so things are going to change a lot.

I'm thinking of getting a cleaner - pity you're not closer Logan's mum! My dh used to do cleaning during the week as he worked part time and was home 1 - 2 weekdays with our ds. But he's going full time this year too, so hopefully I can convince him to let us get a cleaner who will also do stuff like a load or two of washing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work and study and exercise and when DS is home from daycare I try and spend as much of my time with him as possible.

Therefore.... I get up at 5am! Pretty much every day. Weekends are more like 6.30-7 but every day of the week I have 2 hours before DH and DS wakes up. I'm not sure what time you get up, and I know 5am seems ongodly, but it's the only way I get things done!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I know where you're coming from!

Hi,

I understand what you mean. I work 4 days per week and spend an hour each way in traffic. It really is tough to find time. I have no 'ideal answer' but here are a few things I do:
    -i've lowered my standards (hard but I had to otherwise I would never have 'play time' with my son). I used to have an immaculate house, now its just clean.
    -I cook very basic during the week. I bought a crockpot and will make a big pot so when I come home after work there is a meal there. I then freeze the remainder and there is enough for my dh and son for another meal. In summer I buy meat and have as many bbq's as possible. I then add a simple salad etc.
    -Once a week I will go shopping after my son is in bed. Luckily our closest supermarket is open till 9pm. I see this as a bit of 'me time'. Bit lame but its a positive way to see it.
    -Once every 4-6 weeks I will have a cooking afternoon. Husband and son get shoved out the door and I cook 3-4 dishes in bulk to freeze.
    -I put the washing machine on at night and hang it up in the morning. I put the dishwasher on at night and put the dishes away in the morning.
    -I never fold my sons clothes. (He is nearly 3 and pulls everything out at least once a week. Its a waste of my time).
    -I refuse to pick up after my husband. Luckily he is a bit of a neat freak and doesn't like mess anyway.
    -If people are coming over for a visit, I clean the toilets, bathrooms and kitchen and close the bedroom doors so they can't see the mess.
    -I dont buy clothes that need ironing
    -I diarise everything! That way I have time to plan in advance.
    -Every few months I have a cleaner come for 2 hours (not much but it is all I can afford). In that time she does windows, skirting boards, kitchen cupboards and goes through my fridge chucking out anything growing mould.
    -My husband is expected to help out around the house. It doesn't 'cut it' if he thinks he looks after the 'outside'. I also have a rule that if he wishes to complain about how the household runs then it must mean that he can do it better. (He now knows better than to comment)
    -I also think about any of my other working friends. None of their home lives are 'perfect' due to a lack of time. I'm happy to have the comparison.
    -I get up at 5-5.30am three times per week (my monkey is up at 6am). That way I get a bit of a head start.
    -I also generally don't sit down till 8.30pm but by then son is sleeping, kitchen is clean, bags are organised for the next day etc etc. I hate waking to mess!

The only thing i'm trying to fit into my day now is when I will be able to make time everyday to exercise. I used to run 5 mornings a week and I miss it! Hmmm. Maybe i could get up at 4am?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I work 38 hour weeks and weekends can be pretty stressful.

We do our shopping online now. You can get them delivered on weekends, although I'm fortunate enough that my DP works from home so we order them at night during the week and he is home for the delivery.

Often I will duck down to the shops during my lunch hour for a few necessities if we've run out i.e. toilet paper.

With cleaning, DP doesn't make much mess and definitely holds his own in this house, so I don't have the burden of cleaning after two adults and child.

On weekends I just do the basic cleaning during the day (dishes, tidying, beds etc) and will do one BIG clean after DS is in bed on Sunday night (floors, bathroom etc) so it's clean for the week when he and I aren't here much.

DP does the majority of cooking during the week, I do nice meals on the weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was working this is how I made it work for us.

Monday -Friday

I was up at 6am and i got ready and packed Keiaras bag for Preschool, i would wake Keiara up at 6:30 change her and hop in the car and go, She would eat breakfast at Preschool when we got there at 7am.

We were home between 4 or 6pm
    I would put a load of washing on and soak my work shirt as soon as I got home, Keiara would play while I cooked dinner then then she was straight in the bath or (shower if it was late) then sometimes a story and in bed if we were on time and she was in bed by 6 then she got to watch TV for half hour she was asleep by 7pm.

By this time the washing was done and I always used the clothes horse inside or the dining table chairs for sheets and towels, so I would hang those do the dishes relax a bit and go to bed.

Some nights I would do a little clean of what was left on the floor by Keiara, some nights I wouldn't

On the next afternoon the clothes were dry so they were folded and put away before dinner to make room for the next load. Keiara would put her own clothes away.

I never made the beds of a morning and I did the vacuuming, mopping, cleaned the rooms and mowed the lawns of a weekend.
    We were not home much during the week so my house didn't get that bad

One morning a fortnight Keiara had speech therapy so I would get there at 8:30 do the first half hour then the preschool director would meet me there at 9 and finish off the session so I could be at work by 10 for that day.
    On the off week we had occupational therapy so we would finish that at 5 those days were a bit different.

Then we were out having fun relaxing.
    We had a hectic non stop week so the weekend was our time together to have fun and do whatever we wanted if we had a party to go to we went but was only there for about an hour so we could do other things.

You just have to find what works for you if you chose to do all your cleaning on the weekend, there are 2 days to do it and I would make sure everyone pitched in.

My Auntie and her husband worked and because they both worked they did have the money to hire a cleaner a day or 2 a week so they didn't have to worry about the house and didn't have to do it on the weekend.

I think it is all about routine once you find yours everything seams to just work.
    Last edited by ~BEXTER~; 24-01-2010 at 16:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry it posted twice
    Last edited by ~BEXTER~; 24-01-2010 at 16:06.