+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Single Umbilical Artery (SUA) - anyone else have/had it???

So basically 2 vessels through the cord instead of 3?

I've just had my 21 week scan and been told I only have 2 vessels. He said to talk to my DR but usually it doesn't mean anything if everything else looks ok, eg heart, kidneys etc. Which are growing and functioning normally according to him. He said it may mean closer monitoring and scans but to check with the DR. That's all well and good but my DR appointment isn't until next week

Can anyone share experiences or words of wisdom?

I've read that it can cause a slower growth rate and therefore a little bub, like 5 - 6 pounds. And that delivery may be induced earlier for fear of feotal distress?

This freaks me out a little as DD was an emergency c/section after a routine check at 38 weeks revealed her heart rate was only 70bpm. I was monitored for 3hrs and she didn't change so out she came!! I remember the surgeon saying that the placenta had started to detoriate and that it may have been affecting her too much. Now I'm stressing a bit that the same may happen with this bub. I'll be renting a doppler for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD had this!
    I've heard of all those things that you have heard of aswell...... and none of it applied ot me at all.
    DD was a happy healthy baby born at 38+4 spotaneous VB with only gas.
    She was 7lbs12oz at birth and 50cms long... a very normal healthy sized baby.
    I was a little worried about this during pregnancy aswell.... but My doctors said the same, that if there were no other problems seen, then it probably wasn't an issue.
    I did read something like it was as common as 1 in 100 births.
    I had extra scans during my pregnancy to check on DD's growth and it was alwys perfectly fine.
    I had no problems with my labour at all, DD was perfectly fine at birth and still going strong at 8 months. She chubbier than her 9lb brother was now and she's doing everything really early.
    It's hard finding out things like this and being told not to worry.
    If you have any other questions at all, please feel free to PM me, but if there hasn't been anything else found, then everything should be ok.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first son had this, but I also had pre eclampsia, but u r lucky no one picked it up in my 20 weeks scan.. Which when i got transfered to a bigger hossie no one could understand how they didnt coz it something that is there from the begining if u get me... Anways i had to have him at 26 weeks as i got to sick n so was he. He was 758 grams and now has multiple disabilties but he is ok... And i mean unless something serious like that happens to u (touch wood) the DR's r right u should b fine n baby will still develop as normal... Best wishes...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, my 11 month bub had a single umbilical aertory. This was detected in ultrasound and they did a second ultrasound and said that growth and development were fine. After birth, a renal ultrasound was done just in case, but again, no problems.

We were told initially that it was a marker that increased the likelihood of some extremely rare disorders but really wasnt anything to worry about. The numbers I am about to give are completely ficticious but it was something like, the risk of one problem might normally be three in a million but with this differentiation, that increases it to five in a million.

Therefore I dont believe it is really much reason for concern. Unfortunately for me, it made me panic and I stressed that there was going to be something wrong for the rest of the pregnancy. I knew the chances were remote, but feelings are hard to convince. I just wished I had never had the first ultrasound at all so I didn't have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 14-01-2010 at 14:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my babies have this. It was discovered in my little man at my 16week scan and my OB (He actually does my scans as I am considered high risk) told me that it doesnt matter at all, he said we throw that out anyway so as long as everything else is fine it doesnt matter.

Well at this scan he didnt pick it up, but I went back 2 weeks later for another scan and my little girl has a heart defect (AVSD). He said the 2 vessels were the reason/a sign that something was wrong. It could mean bone/liver/kidney problems but my girl got the heart prob. She will need surgery once she is born but if successfull will go on to be a perfectly healthy little girl

If they have not picked up any problems by now then everything should be fine.... like the Dr said it gets thrown away after birth anyway so as long as ur bub looks fine thats all that matters.

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hey there

firstly big hugs i know how stressful it is being told that something might be wrong at a US.

secondly, dont google!!! u will only read the worst case scenario!

i found out my ds2 (in my av pic) had sua at my 20wk ultrasound. i had no idea what it was, and my scan lady didnt do the best job in informing me what it was about. so i went home and googled away...so wish i didnt!!!

i had to have a growth check at 31/32 weeks, bubs was fine, (also to check low lying placenta-that too was fine)

my bub was born at 39 weeks, vaginal birth, no drugs.... he was 7 pound 5 (3.3kgs) so not small at all! just average weight for babies!

i was even discharged from hospital 8hrs after giving birth (gave birth at 1pm, and was home by 9pm that night!)

bubs had to have a renal ultrasound to check his kidneys were working properly, but u could tell that by the amount he was weeing and pooping lol

anywho, youd never know now, my bubs is 11mths old, and is 11.7kgs!!!

if you would like to chat, feel free to pm me, and i can add u as a friend on facebook

there are also a few other lovely ladies floating around the hub that had perfect SUA babies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everybody

It's good to get some reassurance. Seems to be more common than I initially thought. I'd never even heard of it before today but it does make me wonder if DDs had the same thing. I guess I just have to wait and see what the doc suggests from here?

I'm worried about the medication I'm taking too and if it will affect bubs more with only 2 vessels? I've been taking Zofran (Ondansetron) for Hyperemesis since week 6. Started out with 2 tabs a day and now have it down to 1. With DD it was worse though, had to take 3 tabs a day until she was born.

Do you think it will make any difference to the baby with this latest development? I'm probably worrying about nothing. And yeah, Google is a breeding ground for stress!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had hyperemesis aswell both pregnancies, and I don't think the ondansentron will be an issue. They wouldn't give it to you if it was.
    My hyperemesis wasn't controllable by medication, so I didn't take anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

First of all dont stress!!...Easier said then done but try too & as others have said dont goggle...it is such a hit & miss with cases of it you often end up with more bad then good which truely is not the case.

My DS also had an SUA...infact thats how I know Boycrazy above as a friend!! ...hey Mel

Best advice I can give you is...eat healthy, dont smoke (most of the bad cases of problems are when the mother is a smoker), Exercise lightly when possible (gets the blood moving around & over to bub nicely) & the Doctors will keep an eye on it at scans...

I used to make the sonographer turn the volume right up on the machine too when getting follow-up ultrasounds...you will be able to hear the blood pumping through the cord nicely....it gives you a greater piece of mind.

An as for stats...I went to 40wks+1 & had a 8lb healthy bub...as Boycrazy said you will simply have a kidney scan when bub is a couple of wks old.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the pregnancy!!
    Last edited by 84zsazsa; 14-01-2010 at 15:41. Reason: spelling