+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Public or private i think you would have to have very good reason to need a G/A as they carry a risk and im not sure many doctors/obs would do it without an important reason....i know some women need to have them as they have spinal issues that can interfere with spinals,epidurals etc......Maybe just make an appt with your doc to discuss whether its an option for you....

I had a crash section under G/A due to my sons severe fetal distress.....im so glad they were able to get him out safely and we were both ok,dont get me wrong,im forever grateful for that but i cry(often still) 2.5 years on because of missing out on that moment of meeting my son,seeing him meet his dad and hearing his first cry and i barely remember anything from my first day or two with him....Im really hoping for a VBAC this september but even if i end up needing a section i will just be thrilled to be awake to meet my 2nd child......

All the best in whatever you decide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischaswonderland View Post
    why would u want it under a general??

i woke up with 0 pain relief, because there is no spinal or epi to deliver pain relief to the area. it was horrid.
    I had a GA with DS, but I'm pretty sure I had morphine through a drip. I didn't feel any pain until I tried to move and I could push a button for more morphine. (I think it was morphine, I was pretty out of it for that first day though, so it could have been something else. Whatever it was, it seemed to work.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    your very lucky then Kas, i was also hooked upto morphine, but upon waking i was in AGONY for at least 20 mins until the morphine started to work.

this isnt rare and i believe tripletime also experienced agony upon waking from the GA as well..

very similar if not worse to waking up from Gallbaldder surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry Mischa, I hope you didn't think I was questioning what you said... I was just posting my story, that's all. What happened to you should NOT happen to anyone. Certainly not in this day and age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a emergency CS under GA, at my own choice in a public hospital.

Like Misch, i woke up with 0 pain relief because i didnt have a spinal or epi to block the pain. I did have a PCA with morphine that i had to find myself & administer. No one else could it for me, DF had to put it in my hand so i could press the button.

I woke up screaming & told the nurse to F off because she was hurting my face with the O2 mask.

Its not something i would do again but i had my reasons & my reasons are valid.

ETA - They had 7 minutes from when i went under to get all 3 bubs out, DS almost didnt make it. He was born blue & non responsive.

You'll be hard pressed to find an OB to agree to a GA, it took me over 20 weeks to get someone to agree & it was only that i was in labour that one of my OB's did agree. I wasnt willing for them to attempt a Spinal or Epi only to end up with a GA anyways.
    Last edited by TripleTime; 13-04-2010 at 21:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischaswonderland View Post
    this isnt rare and i believe tripletime also experienced agony upon waking from the GA as well..

I did, as i have with all the other GA ive had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no no Kas, i wasnt meaning it like that, didnt mean for it to be like that at all, sorry

i have been told that there are new techniques used for CS under GA that are adminstered on either side of the hips to help to stop this from happening.

but after what happened (theres more to the story than just waiting up with 0 pain relief) i dont really trust what ive been told.

of course everyones feelings and reasons are valid, but i was never told id wake up that way... and its not something id reccommend...ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think your issue is with very badly managed pain relief to the point of incompetency

you could still wake up from a GA and be in pain if it is not managed correctly and it just introduces a whole other list of complications side effects etc

i do understand your concerns as I am having a c/s in aug but will requesting a pca for pain afterwards and spinal for op

meet with your anesthetic person and ask as many questions as you need get comfortable with the procedure and the drugs that will be used

i would be going private so you can have more of a choice in your care providers rather than just how ever is on, on the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read this thread, just the OP

I also wanted an elective c/s but my ob was very against the idea and talked me out of it. I'm glad he did. I'd recommend really thinking about why you want one and talking to a dr. about the process and possible complications before making a decision.

I'm not sure if the option of an elective c/s was not allowed because I was in the public system or not. My ob felt that the risk of these outweighed any benefits.

N&L Mum is offline there is nothing better then being a mum
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my area public hospitals won't give you a ceaser upon request there needs to be a medical reason for it. You would have a better chance going privately.

In my opinion if you don't have to go under for your c section DON'T.

I have had both GA c section and Spinal Block c section. I was in more pain after my GA and it took awhile for my morphine to kick in i was on pain meds for alot longer and it look longer to recover. With my spinal i was in very minimal pain after and my recovery was alot faster. In my experience i also found it took a little longer to bond with my first then my 2nd bub

is there are reason you want to have a GA