+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was originally going to have an elective c/s with a spinal, but ended up with an emergency c/s under GA. (I went private.) I believe it is a woman's right to choose how she delivers her child (providing the child is not endangered by the decision), so good luck in getting what you want. That said, I wouldn't recommend a c/s under GA - I was really out of it for the first 24 hours and can barely remember meeting my son. I've also been told, but not sure how true it is, that the recovery is harder if you have a GA rather than a spinal. I've only had a GA so I can't really comment.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kas3 View Post
    I believe it is a woman's right to choose how she delivers her child (providing the child is not endangered by the decision),.
    That is all well and good, but an ec/s and ga are much more dangerous for mother and baby.

Op- Hun, if it is fear of the birth process, or some other emotional block making you look into this, please, please see if you can see a counsellor to overcome it. I have only had v/b's and it pains me to think of women missing out on such a magical experience because of fear.

With a ga, not only do you miss the birth of your child, but you miss the first hour or so of their life. If this is something that is unavoidable, it is extremely unfortunate. As someone who has experienced birth and the first hour of my babies life, I can't imagine missing it. Out of my whole life, they are part of the handful of hours I would never give up.

Please, do not see this as judgement, it is not. I merely hope to relay how magical I found the short amount of time that you are proposing to miss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ElleAment's reasons for wanting an elective c-section under a GA are not relevant to this thread - she is simply asking whether or not she'll be able to have one under the public or private health care system and for peoples feedback on that.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkvanillaz View Post
    ElleAment's reasons for wanting an elective c-section under a GA are not relevant to this thread - she is simply asking whether or not she'll be able to have one under the public or private health care system and for peoples feedback on that.
    I know it's sometimes not what someone wants to hear but for example with me (and I'm not saying this is why the op wants it but just from my experience), it was my first pregnancy and I was so scared of labour and pain before I was pregnant and even during I was asking my ob for an elective c/s and looked into doing it under a ga cause I just wanted it to be over with. The thought of a big needle in my back and being numb (I also have high anxiety and panic attacks) was freaking me out, so the idea of being asleep sounded good.
    My ob refused an elective, she just doesn't do them without a good reason, and being scared of labour wasn't a good enough reason for it. I was told by alot of people that I was crazy to want a c/s (for lots of reasons), but really it was something I needed to hear, I needed to know all sides of what people thought and experienced so I could really know what was right. I'm glad I heard it all because if i only listened to what I wanted, I wouldn't have experienced what I did and believe me, even though I ended up with an em c/s anyway, I would never change going through labour and experiencing it exactly the way I did.
    Nearing the end of the pregnancy after long talks with my ob and my mum, I became content with the fact I will have this baby, and I will feel pain no matter what I chose to do and labour was just part of having a baby. It was different for someone who has already had a baby and knows what they want because they've been through it, but being my first, I didn't have any reason for wanting a c/s besides fear of pain, fear of dying from pain and having a panic attack or high anxiety during labour (none of which happened) I just didn't know what was going to happen or what I was in for. I even stopped coming to bubhub, reading or looking at any birth stories and just completely shut off from the fact I was going to be in labour soon (I was only scared of labour pain, not the vb part even though it's the most painful part?) anyway it was the only thing that kept me from running to the hills. But amazingly on the day I went into labour, I was so excited, I had no fear and I just got through it, I even pushed for 3 hours total cause I just wanted him out and wanted to feel it, I was in a totally different midset on the day. I now know labour pain is something else and as woman, we are alot stronger when it comes to childbirth than we think.
    But I mean don't get me wrong, I'm all for womens choices and am not against anything or wouldn't judge, I just really feel it's good to hear peoples opinions and experiences if you haven't experienced it yourself yet to really make a decision with no regrets
    Anyhoo, that was my late night rant, if it at all made sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But I mean don't get me wrong, I'm all for womens choices and am not against anything or wouldn't judge, I just really feel it's good to hear peoples opinions and experiences if you haven't experienced it yourself yet to really make a decision with no regrets.

I completely understand what you're saying and know you're only trying to help the OP, the thing is though, people against VB or waterbirths or even VBACs don't come into threads and give their opinion on it like this. It just seems to be c-sections (elective mainly) that people tend to "crash" (not saying you are) so they can put their 2 cents in when it's not asked for. Not having a go, just don't want the OP to feel like she needs to justify her reasons for wanting an elective under a GA as she doesn't need to...simply none of our buisness and irrelevant.

I've seen a few threads like this one....where a very specific question has been asked...only to see it turn into a thread where the question is either not answered, or answered briefly with opinions about why the OP shouldn't do this and shoudln't do that. When I was a new member, this kind of thing really really put me off coming here to ask questions (a lovely mod convinced me to stay ) so I just don't want other members to feel like they can't ask a direct question without getting a direct answer if that makes sense.

Phyllis Stein is offline Winner 2009 - The most politically correct member award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkvanillaz View Post
    so I just don't want other members to feel like they can't ask a direct question without getting a direct answer if that makes sense.
    When people are so afraid of offending that they don't offer contrary advice or information, something is really quite wrong with us as a community.

Assuming there's no medical reason for an elective C/S under GA, the reasons are likely to be psychosocial, and are often though not always, helped with appropriate and sensitive counselling. Put it this way: if a woman had a treatable medical condition that she thought precluded her from a normal birth so asked about a C/S, and no one offered her information regarding her alternative treatment options, that would be negligent. For all we know, the OP appreciates the varied input, which has so far has been stated with sensitivity to the OPs feelings. If it's not helpful, the OP can simply ignore it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.
    I think it all depends on the hospital and doctors. I had no choice but to go to a public hospital as even though i had private health cover there was no availabilty at the time i was due. It really annoyed me!
    Anyway I got to a point during my pregnancy where I was to scared to ahve a natural and really wanted to have a c-section. The doctor ended up letting me have one even though its not common for public to do elective c-sections.
    I was extremley grateful to my doctor as the c-section was the best thing that could have happened. It went so well and i recovered very very fast! Even the doctors were suprised.
    You go with your own choice. Its your body!
    Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI
    DS1 was born at a public hospital by emergency c-sect under GA- cos that's what I demanded on the way to theatre at the time and hubby wouldn't take no for an answer, so they agreed.
    I have mild scoliosis so was completely and utterly paranoid of an epidural.

2nd time round was an elective c-sect, and I agreed to have an epidural (they explained how much more riskier GA's under for c-sects) and boy was I glad I did that! my recovery and everything was so much quicker and easier!

gopd luck!!!!!!
    Last edited by nugget; 28-02-2010 at 21:35. Reason: fix type-o's

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an elective c/s with my daughter, and I actually ended up with a GA as after 45 minutes, the anaethetist still wasnt able to get my spinal in.

In my birth group last time there was a lady who right from the word go knew that she would be having an elective under a GA, so it definitely is possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    why would u want it under a general??

i woke up with 0 pain relief, because there is no spinal or epi to deliver pain relief to the area. it was horrid.