+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Royal Hospital Hobart??? Any info would be great?

Anyone given birth there?
    How was your experience?
    Also did you like the birth centre? (if you where there)
    And did you have an epi? Where they good?

Any info/review would be brilliant.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 was born there. About 85% of my friends have given birth there too.

It's quite a mixed bag in reviews really.
    I'm about to head out, but will come back later with a post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    cool thanks let me know what you have heard when you are free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anushka View Post
    Anyone given birth there?
    How was your experience?
    Also did you like the birth centre? (if you where there)
    And did you have an epi? Where they good?

Any info/review would be brilliant.

Thanks.
    DS1 was born at the RHH in 2006.

I was booked into Calvary but due to the speed of DS1's birth (1.5hrs) we couldn't make it and rocked up in emergency with him on his way out

To give them credit it was an unusual situation in that they didn't know who the hell I was but I wasn't happy with our treatment. They demanded my husband go move our car and he only returned in the nick of time to see DS1 born. The midwives gave me no real assistance or verbal communication regarding pushing and progress etc. I finally decided that laying on my back for their benefit while puking everywhere was not working, got up on all fours sorta leaning over the bed and within a few pushes his head was out. The cord was wrapped so tightly around his neck they couldn't get any leverage to get it off so they cut it while he was still inside. I'm probably lucky not to have had complications with them tugging on the cord like crazy.

Luckily my OB turned up 10 seconds before he was born and took over as DS1 was blue and not breathing. After around 15mins he was breathing ok on his own we were left (with him under the heater lamp) and when noone had returned after an hour DH went looking for someone. We asked for some support with breastfeeding and were told that 'Calvary will sort that out', the midwife walked me into the bathroom while DH dressed DS1 and off she went to organise a hospital transfer. An hour later a different midwife came in to check DS1 and commented in shock about him not wearing a nappy (Calvary provides nappies and clothes etc so we weren't prepared), when we told her all we had was his going home outfit she went to one of the ladies on the ward and came back with a nappy. She then disappeared and another half hour passed till they led us to a room. We again asked for help with breastfeeding and they refused. We were told that we would be transported via ambulance to Calvary in a few more hours.

We hung around for a few hours and then asked whether we could leave, they had forgotten about organising the transport and told us to drive ourselves. So we got everything together to leave and went to the front desk only to be told that our paperwork to leave had not been organised. So there we stood for another hour at the front desk while they got it all together.

I was very greatful when I finally got to Calvary and was welcomed with food, breastfeeding support and a birth debriefing.

One of my friends recently had her second DS at RHH and went through the birthing centre, she was quite pleased with her experience and went home 12hours post birth.

Another good friend had her daughter there in 2006 and after a very long traumatic labour ended up with an emergency caesar. She was unhappy with her treatment during and after the birth and left the hospital quite quickly. I think she still has alot of unprocessed emotion regarding the birth years later...

Another friend (also a bubhubber) has had 3 of her four daughters there and I think despite various complications has been well looked after and happy.

All the best with your choice and congratulations on your pregnancy!
    Last edited by SammieSnail; 12-01-2010 at 00:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my baby at the Royal Hobart Hospital but due to the lack of continuity of care, lack of dignity and respect for me, lack of communication from the caregivers, despite my best efforts to communicate with them about my wishes for the birth, I ended up having many unwanted, harmful interventions, mostly done to me without my consent or even explaining to me why it was done.
    I was not told what was happening at the most crucial moments, and was even lied to. There was no continuity of care as I had to see a different midwife each antenatal visit, and had never met the OB who eventually delivered my baby, and therefore did not trust him, and he did not bother to get my consent or ask me what my wishes were before he just charged in and started poking inside my vagina, pulling my baby out and cutting me [without my consent] without explaining why all these injurious interventions were necessary,
    making me feel like I was being violated and raped.
    I would never give birth there ever again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your birth experience at the Royal Hobart Hospital sounds nearly identical to mine selinaalwayshere. I regret ever stepping foot in that place. I'm sure we had the same ob, unfortunately for us. I was young, nieve , and the ob and one of the midwives took advantage of that, I honestly thought I would be well looked after but I was very wrong. During pregnancy I thought had had done all the necessary prep but wasn't prepared and was disappointed when a midwife failed to support my labour naturally which lead to many other unnecessary interventions.
    Last edited by Macquariemum; 13-11-2014 at 14:25.