+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Medicare cannot confirm the rebate

I just phoned Medicare to find out how much we would be out of pocket for on a ICSI cycle and was told that it is too complex and they can not give me an estimate until I have paid the bill and clinic sends it into Medicare.

I cannot find anything on medicare web site. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sharni72,
    I picked up today the Patient Estimate of Expenses form from my clinic which shows the medicare rebates for 2010.

Fully Stim IVF - 1st cycle item No 13200 out of pocket $1979.10
    IVF 2nd subsequent cycle item No 13201 out of pocket $1469.10
    ICSI item No 13251 out of pocket $314.25
    FET item No 13218 out of pocket $619.10
    Min Stim item No 13206 out of pocket $1566.00

My DH and I worked out it will be an extra $1414.90 per cycle thanks to Ruddy! We were out of pocket $1828.45 we will now be $3243.35 To top it off my clinic has increased their prices with ICSI as well as Blastocyst!

Mind you the $3243.35 does not include FS fee's, anesthetist fee's, any support meds after ET and everything else we all take/do to make our dreams come true. I know one day when I'm looking into my beautiful babies eyes it will be worth every cent spent!!!

All the best for your upcoming cycle.
    LM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh girls, it is so frustrating isn't it. You would think before the government made such huge changes that have a big impact on people's lives that they would have clearly communicated and trained their people on how to explain it! I found exactly the same thing when I called on Saturday and then on Monday. I have posted what I found out on Monday under a different thread. It was just in relation to FETs but it gives an overview of what I was told by Medicare.

Sharni - I am so sorry to hear your news on another post. Thinking of you.

BB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladymoz - Thanks for the info. I also got a table of prices from clinic:

Item 13200 - ICSI (initial cycle) $6,350 - Expected max safety net refund (capped ) $1,705 - Estimated final out of pocket cost - $4,645

Would I be safe to say that if I haven't reached my safety net refund, then I will pay the full $6,350??

Our FS clinic also increased their fees.

Buttonbub - thanks also. I will check out the other thread. I certainly will not be voting Ruddy again. I was horrified at the increases

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours has increased theirs too.

Sharnie - ummm yep ruddie is a duddie....but unfortunately the opposition is worse!!!

Abbott is well known for his views on IVF his idea of IVF is you get a medicare rebate for 3 cycles of IVF thats it!!

And no it doesn't relapse the next year. Any cycles after 3 will have no rebate at all. It will be full cost to you.

Any woman over 40yrs old will only get 3 tries of IVF in total ever!!

Thats shocking for a christian do-gooder and man to say to a woman.

Yes your infertile and oh by the way cause your over 40yrs old I have set it up that you only get 3 goes in total at IVF.

NO man should ever say that.

Wishing4kids.

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    MIVF have on their site...

Initial Stimulated IVF cycle
    $6,585 - you are out of pocket $2,070
    Stimulated IVF cycle
    $6,585 - you are out of pocket $1,515
    Initial Stimulated IVF cycle with ICSI
    $7,485 - you are out of pocket $2,535
    Stimulated IVF cycle with ICSI
    $7,485 - you are out of pocket$1,980
    Frozen embryo transfer (thaw cycle)
    $2,350 - you are out of pocket$941
    Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) cycle
    $1,620 - you are out of pocket $991
    Last edited by SpotTheOcelot; 06-01-2010 at 20:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sharni - Wishing is completley right on the liberals..Abbott also thinks women place is in the home and we shouldnt have the same rights as working men .. the prehistoric twit he is ...religous views should not be brought into politics esp with such a mutli-cultural country

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

Thanks for your information.

Spot & Lady - Both of your out of pockets are much less than what I understand form my clinic, fees below. MIVF costs more initially but you get back more. I do not understand?

ICSI (initial cycle) 13200, 13209, 13212, 13215, 13221, 13251 - $6,350

Expected Max Safety Net Refund - $1,705

Estimated Final out of pocket - $4,645

cheers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Warning - frustration vent coming...!

Gosh that makes me so mad to hear what you've described as the Liberal government approach.

It is so unfair that those in either government who make these decisions and I imagine also have it easier conceiving children (or why would they make such insensitive decisions?!) seem to display so little understanding and empathy for the challenges, stress, sadness and anxiety that comes with trying to conceive when it isn't easy and you have to use IVF.

I feel like a whole lot of us, Access and our clinics should go to the media and mount such an uproar about this and the Police Checks (I know these are just in Vic) that no government would feel in a position to ever put in place legislation that means anyone has additional financial challenges or stress with using IVF!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shari - you OOP does sound alot - my clinic - Sydney IVF is no where near as much!!

Fees current as of 1st January 2010 for eligible Medicare card holders

Out-of-pocket costs - Cycle payment is not due until after embryo transfer (ET)

Procedure Upfront payment Cycle payment Out-of-pocket expense
    (assuming maximum Medicare
    and health fund rebates) IVF first cycle
    (per calendar year) $0 $7,910.00 $2,971.10 IVF subsequent cycles $2,461.10 ICSI first cycle
    (per calendar year) $0 $8,346.000 $2,971.35 ICSI subsequent cycles $2,461.35 Your particular circumstances will determine your final out of pocket expense. Add up to $1,595 for day surgery* if you have limited or no health fund cover and up to $900.80 if you have not achieved the Medicare safety net threshold.

Embryo Vitrification $0 $685.00 $685.00
    Frozen Embryo Transfer $0 $3,020.00 $1,532.35 Your particular circumstances will determine your final out of pocket expense. Add up to $560 for day surgery* if you have limited or no health fund cover and up to $900.80 if you have not achieved the Medicare safety net threshold.

Stimulated IUI $0 $2,070.00 $1,440.20 + $265.00
    (day surgery fee*) Your particular circumstances will determine your final out of pocket expense. Add up to $900.80 if you have not achieved the Medicare safety net threshold.