+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by golux View Post
    Chantelle, I believe that the big expensive text that is the Aus and NZ standard is 'Midwifery, Preparation for Practice' 2nd ed. but I would check with the uni faculty before shelling out.
    Best textbook ever!!! Absolutely 100% purchase this one. Look at book depository its about 30-50% cheaper than the uni bookstore.

Quote Originally Posted by golux View Post
    HELP PLEASE: I'm hoping to get in to Midwifery at UTS in 2014 and I'm freaking out because I haven't received an offer yet. I got my application in in time for offers coming out today (http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/offers/) so I'm just wondering if there are any others who have got their offers. If other people have got their offers then I need to get mentally prepared for not getting in.
    Main round of offers when all applicants are considered isn't until the 16th of January. I wouldn't be expecting to receive an offer until then, so stop stressing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

golux  (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! So hard to stay calm when I don't know what I'm going to be doing this year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does anyone know if any unis are offering B Midwifery externally? The only uni near me offering the course is Newcastle but they only do it full time and I don't think that will be practical with a 6mo. UTS does part time but that would probably also be impractical as it would take me a lot longer to get there plus I assume placements are all going to be in Sydney hospitals which would also be hard to get to.
    I know UniSA does external but apparently you still have to live local...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Does anyone know if any unis are offering B Midwifery externally? The only uni near me offering the course is Newcastle but they only do it full time and I don't think that will be practical with a 6mo. UTS does part time but that would probably also be impractical as it would take me a lot longer to get there plus I assume placements are all going to be in Sydney hospitals which would also be hard to get to.
    I know UniSA does external but apparently you still have to live local...
    It's a very hands on and practical course. When I studied, we had one day of lectures (which were delivered online), 3 days of clinical placement and 1 day of practical teaching at the uni (learning and practicing all our skills). It would have been impossible to do externally.

Griffith University in Brisbane lets you do your placements at hospitals outside Brisbane, but you still need to attend campus for a 2 week intensive program each semester and it's all dependant on the hospital as to whether or not they'll let you do placement there.

The opportunity to study will always be there, so why not hold off a couple of years until your little one is a bit older and be able to do the full-time program close to home.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 04-01-2014 at 08:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    following this thread - i posted on this in 2011 and i missed the boat interms of applying for Direct Entry BMid this year at UTS - Keen to hear of anyone in here who is studying or has been accepted into UTS for this course. I am 36 and have 2 Diplomas so not sure if i need to sit a stat or just apply with cover letter etc.... Any experiences would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am old (45) lol. I have a diploma applied science (nursing) and graduated as an RN in 1989. I did some post registration time too, then went to work in welfare. I have not nursed since 1990s and have not been registered since mid 2000s. I guess what I am wondering is, if I wanted to do middy - do I just start from scratch again or is there some recognition of my diploma?. As I am also unregistered, I think I can only register as a non practising nurse. I would be looking at Newcastle and not sure about how anything works these days lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by joki69 View Post
    Hi, I am old (45) lol. I have a diploma applied science (nursing) and graduated as an RN in 1989. I did some post registration time too, then went to work in welfare. I have not nursed since 1990s and have not been registered since mid 2000s. I guess what I am wondering is, if I wanted to do middy - do I just start from scratch again or is there some recognition of my diploma?. As I am also unregistered, I think I can only register as a non practising nurse. I would be looking at Newcastle and not sure about how anything works these days lol
    start from scratch. You can only have 5 years of non-practicing time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

crunchie  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crunchie- I just emailed SATAC (SA) this question yesterday. They suggested that with midwifery being so competitive you are best to do the stat as well so you have two pathways in as it will increase your chances of acceptance :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hope2487 For This Useful Post:

crunchie  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    following this thread - i posted on this in 2011 and i missed the boat interms of applying for Direct Entry BMid this year at UTS - Keen to hear of anyone in here who is studying or has been accepted into UTS for this course. I am 36 and have 2 Diplomas so not sure if i need to sit a stat or just apply with cover letter etc.... Any experiences would be appreciated
    Hi Crunchie,

just wondering if you ended up being accepted into the UTS course? Your circumstances sound very familiar to mine, so I'd love to hear how you went,

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone!

Is there anyone here who is or has applied for the Bachelor of Midwifery at the University of Canberra? Im going to be doing the UC preparation course (UCPREP) but i know i'll also have to the supplementary application form.

The questions i need to answer are:

1) What do you see as the most important issues facing childbearing women today?

2) What do you think women and their babies and families need from midwives?

3) What qualities, skills and knowledge will you bring to your role of midwifery student/midwife?

4) What do you see as the most important issues facing midwifery today?

I really want to answer these questions the best i can and i can only give half an A4 page answer for each. Any advice in terms of good websites, resources etc would be greatly appreciated!
    I Would also love to hear from anyone on the same path or someone with advice as to how i can give myself the best chances or getting a place!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rhiannon92; 12-07-2014 at 00:36.