+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bump.. I'm wanting to study both nursing and midwifery but would rather do them together but not sure if I can in SA. If anyone could let me know that would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the look of SATAC I don't believe you can do the double degree in SA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh I didn't think so but thought I would just ask. I will do Bach of nursing and it also looks like I will then have to go on to do the Bach of mid and not a post grad of mid as it seems a lot of places aren't doing that anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all
    Im looking to do Bachelor of Midwifery at UniSA in 2014. For any ladies on here currently (or who have previously) studying Midwifery at UniSA, could you please list the textbooks used? I want to jump in and buy a few now

Thank you in advance for the help!
    Chantelle.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Midwifrey courses

Hi,

Looking at studying Midwifrey in 2013, but have been told from a few of my nursing friends that I should do nursing first then Midwifrey after or as a double degree... What does everyone think?? Would love to know so opinions!!

Also does anyone know if u do the Midwifrey and then later down the track if u want to do general nursing , how long to u have to study general nursing for???

Thanxs everyone!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are a billion people that will defend both sides of this debate, you probably won't find an answer. I see it as being like the struggle Uni qualified nurses faced when they started. Those trained on job thought they were better, and the Uni qualified ones through they were. Ultimately both are qualified, and both will allow you to gain employment- as a BMIDDER you just have to fight a little harder. Also, this depends on where you are living. I believe in QLD the BMID is much better accepted than it is here in VIC.

If you do study midwifery only- yes you can become a general nurse later down the track. There are a few ways to do it (in Vic anyway- each state is different). You can do an 18m full time Masters of nursing or you can do a 2 year bachelor course (which you could do part time).

For me personally- I believe that BMID is fantastic. We are educated on how a variety of different conditions impact pregnancy and birth. We are strongly educated on "normal" birth (if you can define that) or natural birth. We spend our prac working with women, gaining lots of experience on the job with plenty of clinical hours.
    The advantage of a double degree is some of the hospitals here in Melbourne have a strong preference for those with the double degree, so your initial grad year employment opportunities are higher i believe.

One other thing to consider, is do you want to look at nursing later down the track? If you do- do the double. If you ONLY want to be a midwife then do the BMID. If you do a double (or postgrad) then you have to do the nursing elements of it also, and how would you enjoy the prac, and would you stay as motivated with the nursing elements as you would the mid ones? Just things to consider.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I am hoping to get in to BMid next year at Griffith on GC for 2013. I was wanting some opinions if u think I have enough to get in without doing doing the PCA assessment...??

- will sit the STAT the stand hope to get an ok mark
    - did complete year 12 and sat the core skills test as well as core skills subjects in year 12
    - have completed a statement of attainment in medical terminology and medical reception
    - have been working in medical admin for the last 7 years and will have references from my last 3 supervisors

Do u think I have enough not to do the PCA or should I just do it...???

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, I'm new to the thread and I've had a quick look through so hopefully Im not going to say or ask anything that has already been said

I have had two children and I have also been my sisters birth partner for her 10 week old baby boy. I LOVED every minute of it. My sister called me almost every day of her pregnancy as it was so much different to her first and asked me questions and I loved helping her with her pregnancy and the birth.

I am still on maternity leave with my 10 month old from childcare and really want a career change as I have been in the childcare industry for 7 years.. So I am looking at studying nursing/midwifery closer to the end of the year/ start of 2013.

A friend is currently studying Diploma of Nursing through GC tafe externally onine and attends prac. This would work really well for me as I aim to be home with my baby for as long as I can. I can also ask my MIL to have bub 1 day a week if i need for study ect I'm sure.

The details outlined for this diploma are after 18 months of commencing study I can work as an EN and I can also apply to enter midwifery at uni.. I know maybe this might seem like a long way around things, though i find that it might just work better with my current position..

Is anyone else studying nursing externally or online? As we only get family tax benefit from centrelink I'm not sure if centrelink can or will help with finances. I will apply for HECS so I can pay the courses off later on, though just wondering if anyone else is doing things this way?

I have done a certificate III and a diploma in children's services so I know that this counts as it shows I am capable of studying.. I know I can also apply for mature age..

The thought of uni is daunting and maybe that is another reason I am thinking of going through tafe... I guess I'd just like some advice if there other mums who are SAHMs and how and which course you have decided to do and HOW you apply (I know.. I think I can just approach the TAFE and apply to do the course.. though I find QTAC a little daunting)

Thanks for reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi...i'm new to all this. I'm very interested to do distance learning. an acquaintance recommended that i do ANMFSA's Certificate IV Frontline Management (http://www.anmfsa.org.au/learning/co...ine-management). She highly recommend sit and said she will be enrolling with the its Advance Diploma of Nursing (http://www.anmfsa.org.au/learning/co...oma-of-nursing). Can someone please advise further regarding this? thank you so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chantelle, I believe that the big expensive text that is the Aus and NZ standard is 'Midwifery, Preparation for Practice' 2nd ed. but I would check with the uni faculty before shelling out.

HELP PLEASE: I'm hoping to get in to Midwifery at UTS in 2014 and I'm freaking out because I haven't received an offer yet. I got my application in in time for offers coming out today (http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/offers/) so I'm just wondering if there are any others who have got their offers. If other people have got their offers then I need to get mentally prepared for not getting in.