For those looking at studying Midwifery- FAQ & A | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be applying in Vic for 2012.

I'm just trying to work out whether it would be better for me to start once my youngest is at school & going by what you said i would probably have to wait until then. If i waited til DS is at school then i might apply in QLD... DH wants to move but cant at the moment because of work commitments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is certainly a full time workload. I get one day usually a week off, but the rest of the time i am at uni at lectures etc or studying in between them. In reality i was mostly at uni from 8 or 10 each morning till 3ish each day. i had a couple of half days- but it really is something you have to look at doing full time. I think ACU do offer part time though, but one of them would have to explain how that works with prac etc.
    It's very worth it though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, im a SAHM , 37yrs old , i had my first child at 17 , my youngest being 6 and at school and finally settled .
    I left school at yr 9 so i dont have schooling and experience in much of nething except being a mum.
    I have always been interested in midwifery and would love this to be my career , but with no previous nething how hard will it be to get into ?
    Im in SA and on goverment payment, so of course money is tight also, so how much will the course cost ? is there any goverment funding ? etc.
    Would like to hear from other sahm who are or have been in this position, advice needed please .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,
    I am from Mildura, VIC and have 3 kiddies under 4 years of age. I have been accepted into CDU 2012 external bachelor of nursing course and am being considered for the external bachelor of Midwifery course.
    Anyone else joining me or applying to CDU for external studies?

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile CDU student

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmedic85 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am from Mildura, VIC and have 3 kiddies under 4 years of age. I have been accepted into CDU 2012 external bachelor of nursing course and am being considered for the external bachelor of Midwifery course.
    Anyone else joining me or applying to CDU for external studies?
    I am currently enrolled at CDU but studying Behavioral Science. I looked into the course for BA Midwifery and contacted the admin because I wanted to change to this field in 2012. I ended up only applying for VIC universities only.

I really would love to stay at home and study Midwifery but I really can't afford the 5 week blocks up in NT that are compulsory and that would mean flights, accommodation and my husband taking leave to watch our kids. Way to inconvenient and expensive.

As a student of CDU I can say that the University is pretty bad when it comes to info, course work being laid out easily. Most of the time you find out criteria for assignments only by asking or reading int he forums and these are pretty relevant things like word count, formatting, referencing etc. Basically last semester it got so bad there were at least 4 students in one of my units who submitted formal complaints and personally I just wanted to change to on campus study where the tutors are there to answer your questions.

I hope it works out for you, most of the nursing students seem to enjoy their coursework, so it could have just been the psychology units that were poor. I am not trying to turn you off, just give you the heads p I wish someone had given me before I enrolled there.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default interested

So im thinking of applying to start uni of Canberra bachelor of Midwifery in 2013, i know its ages away but i want to start looking into topics and options now.
    I am applying to do the uni prep course hopefully to get into the June-September one, this is meant to give me a 95% chance of getting into the course with the right CV and cover letter.

Can anyone tell me some things i should add into the cover letter or any other infomation that would better my chances of studying mid in 2013 ?/

thanks in advanced
    Bec x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec Traynor View Post
    So im thinking of applying to start uni of Canberra bachelor of Midwifery in 2013, i know its ages away but i want to start looking into topics and options now.
    I am applying to do the uni prep course hopefully to get into the June-September one, this is meant to give me a 95% chance of getting into the course with the right CV and cover letter.

Can anyone tell me some things i should add into the cover letter or any other infomation that would better my chances of studying mid in 2013 ?/

thanks in advanced
    Bec x
    Hi Bec!

Im doing the same! I want to study in Sydney 2013. Really exctied, and I know its a year away but I want to familiarise myself with everything midwifery to get a head start. I did my HSC in '05 and since then been travelling around the world and working in child care so I dont have real good entry requirements compared to most people! So I too need to write a GREAT cover letter. If I have ideas in the future I will let you know!

Also what is this uni prep course? Where do you do it?

Kay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kaylee88

The uni prep course is a course designed for people who have been out of school for a while, it re teaches essay skills and lectures and how to plan and time things right for your work load. This course is done at the university of canberra 3 times a year (im not sure if other universitys would offer such a course) the course itself is free and mostly done of a night (6-8pm).

As for the cover letter im completly lost as to what i want/need to write. I understand its all about me and why i would make a good Midwife but how are you suppose to actually write that on paper :/

I was also told today i am going to need to sit the STAT test this yr before enrollments as i have been out of school to long and i am a mature age student now (30 in October).

If anyone has any cover letter advise or structures on the CV and stat testing etc any advise would help

Thanks
    Bec x

Thanks
    Reviews

Question Studying Nursing/Midwifery Victoria

Hey all, i have two kids aged 3 yrs and 9months old.I am soo keen to study midwifery but as i dont want to be restricted to midwifery and not able to work in a NICU i would like to do the nursing/midwifery course. I am looking for advice as to whether or not i should do the State Enrolled Nursing course and carry on to do the nursing/midwifery course after it ? orr just go straight into the Nursing Midwifery course? I did my high schooling in Scotland (UK) and have done no other studying due to personal circumstances but i am kicking myself for not doing it before having my kids, although i probably wouldnt have had the drive to do it like i do now. I worry about leaving the kids (the eldest will be starting Kinder nxt Jan) i work evenings at the minute and my local GP reckons due to my circumstances (suffering from slight post natal depression) that the State Enrolled nursing would be the better of the two courses for me personally.. What im really looking for is a rough idea how full on the course is and also some encouragement from mums who are in the same boat to push me on to do it as the guilt of leaving my babies is the hardest thing to deal with... At school i was quite clever but i just haven't used my brain in ages.. I have borrowed books from the library about the human body and info about nursing but if anyone could advise the best materials to read to improve my chances of getting into the course id be soo grateful... i find having someones personal experiences on matters is more helpful than reading books DETERMINED but need some help in pushing me through it as it just seems so daunting to me as i am not from Australia originally. PS Also is funding available if you are a permanent resident ??

Thanks to anyone who can help in advance Jac

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. I am really tired so just writing this quickly. I completed my education (Incomplete actually) in Scotland 17 years ago. I have been here 10. I have four children. I waited until my youngest started school. Personal choice. I decided to get my citizenship though, as I don't think I would have been entitled to deferring fees. (Hecs) I jumped straight in to a double degree. My interest is ultimately Neonatal care. I sat the stat test, put in a personal information statement, and I got an early offer. I never even considered doing EN course. It takes longer to get where I want and involves more aged care which I dislike. This again is a personal decision, everyone has different reasons for and against.

My friend is doing the double degree with 4 children under 7. Not something I could have done. However she is organised and confident and is doing well. You are your own best judge on how you would manage.

Hope that helps a little.