+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently studying Education though am not enjoying it and am wanting to change to Midwifery. I am a single mother, however, and am wondering how this will impact my success in a midwifery course. I worry that pracs will be at odd hours- for example will you be expected to attend prac during night shifts? How does it work? Are there any other singles parents studying midwifery-- how do you do it? What is your advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Hillary - I am in your shoes at the moment studying midwifery in NZ as my partner works overseas so im a single Mum! Over here the course is SO unorganised so its hard to juggle but still manageable! I have enrolled in the BMid over in oz tho and hoping to get in to go do it there next year and complete it. I know that Griffith in GC for one is AMAZING at how they structure their course and alot of others I have seen throughout oz seem to be pretty organised and laid out so yeh there would be some call outs etc but Im sure with a bit of organising you can still get it done and follow your dream I cant wait to get over to oz next year - and my partner will be working every second week away so I will return to being a single mum every other week!! haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, thanks Tash.
    I'm still thinking about it. I really want to do it. But like I said I am doing Education at the moment so am going to see how Prac goes and then decide.
    Good luck with everything in Oz. It's hard when you are a single parent doing anything- it must be just as hard when hubby is away working!
    Wish you success. Thanks for your input!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

This is a great idea for people looking into Nursing/Mid, I thought i would add my story as to how i got into Bach Nursing, I had my first child at 17 was a stay at home mum and by 24 i had 3 children, Started working in the disability field and did my cert IV in Disability Studies and have worked for The department of Human services for 4 years and applied last year and got an early offer in Nov, All my hard work has paid off, I think the reason i got in is with my experience i have gained through my work in the disability field lots of personal care involved, Manual Handling, behavior support, report documentation, Administering Medication is just amoung a few that i think gained me entry and also my cert IV would have been helpful also.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lovemythreechildren For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (17-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Please Help...

Hi I'm a mum of three and work full time, my hubby works full time and also has a second job. I would love to become a registered midwife, but I live in an isolated town and there is NO info I can access locally. I have spoken to a student advisor (who wasn't very helpful) at UniSA. All she told me was that 2010 entries were now closed.
    If anyone can help me, I want to study externally full time. I do understand that I would have to go to prac placements for 6-8 weeks in the second and third years. This I am willing to do. The problem I am having is the fact that I cannot afford to just STOP working! Is it possible to study, work 3 days a week and run a household???
    Also... I finished my HSC in 1999 (but have NO idea where that certificate would be now) and have No other qualifications in anything. As a mature aged student, where do I sit a STAT test?
    Adelaide being the closest City is really my only option for Universities - or am I wrong??

Can anyone tell me the chances of actually getting work when qualified? It's one thing to have a dream about being qualified in your dream job, it's another thing to actually be able to pay the bills after 4 years of study! All of the internet sites I have browsed through all mention how hard it is to even get into these courses, so what is the likely hood of getting full time work? I don't want to be so pessimistic, but I have to be realistic.

Thank you in advance for any replies I might receive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone! glad I found this thread, I have 3 children ages 4, 2 and 4 months and I am looking to get into Midwifery in 2012. I have always wanted to do this! I am in Victoria and Vic uni offers this direct entry course over 3 years and they have child care facilities there too which will help me out. I am just wondering for those of you already into your course, how did you find it in the first/second year. I am obviously going to have to juggle everything with the kids etc but will it be manageable. I dont want to stop my dreams from happening, but I also need to think of my kids. I am 25 and know i have alot of time but I have it in me that I always wanted to start in 2012. My hubby will help out as much as he can too but he works 5-6 days a week mostly. Any info on this would help. I think its the 'guilty' factor of leaving your kids at times but in the long run, its for not just me but for my family's future. I am determind. I have already completed my cert 3 and diploma in childrens services as well.
    Hope to hear from some of you. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Shell,
    I am 30 and a mum of 5 and I just completed my Bachelor of Nursing, full-time, and I had my last baby while doing the course... I was lucky because he was born in between semesters!! I'm starting my Diploma of Midwifery in QLD this year!! It is do-able.. and I'm not going to say it was easy but I never gave up!! Support and lots of motivation from loved ones helped a lot!! There were times, when attending clinicals, that I felt guilty for not being there for my kids as much as I was when I stayed at home,, but I think my kids will respect me and benifit from me doing this and I think they will be proud of me when they look back!!
    I found 2nd year was the big slump in motivation for me!! I felt the pressure of it all but I just kept thinking of the bigger picture!! I did my nursing degree to get into midwifery! The university in my town only offered Nursing then the diploma then they changed it, in my last year, from the diploma to the full Bachelor of Midwifery, so I accepted a position as a student midwife in Brisbane and we're moving up there in March from Newcastle!!
    Good luck with whatever you decide, I'm sure you will be fine and don't worry too much about the kids!!!
    Nic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mummaof5 For This Useful Post:

Katiekins00  (31-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just wanted to add Newcastle Uni in NSW also offer BMid

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mimsie For This Useful Post:

RHJ  (23-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can someone tell me what the placement is like for BMid course. How many week blocks are they & for how long is each block etc.
    I am looking into applying for 2012 & DH wants to help out with the kids when i am supposed to do placement but he only has 4 weeks per year & cant take 4 weeks at one time off & we both dont really want to put the our youngest in child care if we dont have to. So any help would be great.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tired*mummy View Post
    Can someone tell me what the placement is like for BMid course. How many week blocks are they & for how long is each block etc.
    I am looking into applying for 2012 & DH wants to help out with the kids when i am supposed to do placement but he only has 4 weeks per year & cant take 4 weeks at one time off & we both dont really want to put the our youngest in child care if we dont have to. So any help would be great.

TIA
    Would depend which uni you were looking at doing it at. What state/what uni do you think you would be going to?
    For me- at Monash in Vic- we do a 2 block prac in first year near the end of the year, then in 2nd and 3rd years we do 2 days every week of semester and a 2 week mental health block at the end of the year again in 2nd year.
    Other uni's have different schedules though.
    Last edited by RHJ; 23-01-2011 at 15:42. Reason: spelling