+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely we need to share as soon as we hear anything - I am dying too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha likewise! I'm so stressed about it haha. I'm pretty sure you will know with in two weeks My prep teacher said Midwifery students need to hand in their assignments ASAP too so i assume they want our results to make a decision... eep!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @yourefunnymummy - Have you heard back from ECU about acceptance yet?

Can anyone recommend any good books to read before starting my course? I will be doing the dual degree for registered nursing & midwifery at ECU in Feb 2015. I received my acceptance in November 2014 and have been hanging out to get started.

I already have an anatomy book and hundreds of flash cards but I'd like a book on midwifery, just wanted to hear some opinions as some of the books are quite pricey.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moncheri - NO! I haven't heard anything and I was told that as there are only limited places I wont find out until January...but thats not true if you've already found out?!
    Oh gosh, now I'm even more anxious haha! I did apply for the normal nursing degree as a backup so fingers crossed I'll at least get that. My STAT results were a little disappointing so perhaps I didnt make the cut. I got 157.
    If I do get in though, we will have to tee up a get together, even if just during orientation etc.

Have you been given a booklist or anything? How expensive is it looking?

P.s. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moncheri View Post
    @yourefunnymummy - Have you heard back from ECU about acceptance yet?

Can anyone recommend any good books to read before starting my course? I will be doing the dual degree for registered nursing & midwifery at ECU in Feb 2015. I received my acceptance in November 2014 and have been hanging out to get started.

I already have an anatomy book and hundreds of flash cards but I'd like a book on midwifery, just wanted to hear some opinions as some of the books are quite pricey.

Thanks
    The standard mid text is either Mayes mid or myles mid. Either or. There is a great one we read a lot but it's not a required text by pairman that really underpins midwifery philosophy.

In my first year anatomy and physiology were core and midwifery units focused on governance, respect, legal requirements and social/cultural safety. So the core beliefs before the practical side.

You will only need one of the 3 I mentioned for the entire course and probably some other little text I relation to special care placement, breastfeeding and midwifery practice.
    One free piece of reading I would highly recommend is the midwifery competency standards. These are online and you will refer to these constantly as a student and hopefully as a midwife. You aren't expected to know them off by heart but understanding them and why they are important for essays, reflections and practice are a huge part of it
    Last edited by alomumma; 29-12-2014 at 09:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yourefunnymummy View Post
    Moncheri - NO! I haven't heard anything and I was told that as there are only limited places I wont find out until January...but thats not true if you've already found out?!
    Oh gosh, now I'm even more anxious haha! I did apply for the normal nursing degree as a backup so fingers crossed I'll at least get that. My STAT results were a little disappointing so perhaps I didnt make the cut. I got 157.
    If I do get in though, we will have to tee up a get together, even if just during orientation etc.

Have you been given a booklist or anything? How expensive is it looking?

P.s. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!

Did you do both the Written and Verbal STAT? If so, you can work out what your ATAR is by using both scores on the TSIC calculator - http://www.tisc.edu.au/calculator/st...printable=true

You only need an ATAR of 80 or higher to be considered. I didn't have to sit the STAT's because I have already completed a diploma which automatically gives me an ATAR of over 80.

Also make sure you check your junk email because that's where my acceptance was lol I never bothered checking my junk mail and it had been sitting in there for days.

Maybe it takes longer for people who had to sit the STAT, calculating the scores etc. I'm sure you'll get in Yeah, we can definitely tee up during orientation etc. I'll give you my email so we can keep in touch moniquestone90@hotmail.com

In regards to book lists, no I haven't received anything. I was told we wont get it until January. But i did get told about other items we will need to buy from a nurse friend, I was told to go to www.enurse.com.au to buy equipment because its cheaper.

Finally, DON'T be anxious! You'll get in xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is anyone here studying just midwifery at Newcastle. Just trying to find out how many days or hours per week face to face there is to see if it's doable. The uni wasn't very helpful in this regard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im currently doing me EEN course and want to apply to Uni for Middy for 2016... Is a Diploma enough to get you into Mid?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    Im currently doing me EEN course and want to apply to Uni for Middy for 2016... Is a Diploma enough to get you into Mid?
    Yes it should be enough as long as it's an AQF qualified Diploma. Different Uni's have different entry requirements, so best to just contact your desired uni and ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moncheri View Post
    Yes it should be enough as long as it's an AQF qualified Diploma. Different Uni's have different entry requirements, so best to just contact your desired uni and ask.

Thanks its through TAFE