+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Applying for 2015 study

Hello. I've applied to study bachelor of midwifery at ACU Melbourne in 2015, sitting my STAT on November 22nd. Brushing up on some maths today. It will be my first time studying at tertiary level and I will have a 10 month old and 3 year old. I will be doing first 2 years part time. Such exciting times! Good luck to all other applicants. Such a long wait for offers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys, Just wondering how you go supporting yourselves while studying? I've been thinking about doing the bachelor of midwifery for a while but keep putting it off because I am concerned about how I would continue to support my family while studying. I currently work full time in security, which I do enjoy and there is plenty of money to be made in security, however I've always wanted to become a midwife and long term I think it is a better option. I'm also sole parent to my 7yr old daughter. Although I have family support when it comes to babysitting I don't have any financial support available and would need to keep earning money to pay bills while studying. Is it possible to keep working enough to support my family while studying?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

Flickod - I am just trying to get my head around that too! I can't keep doing my current job, so will need to resign. I figure we (as in my family) can survive for a few months while I see how demanding the course is and get myself into some routines and then will start looking in earnest. If needed, I will just get some casual work on weekends etc to help out the finances.

Annabelley and Rhiannon92 - can I confirm with you guys when you understand we will know if we have secured a spot. The course convenor indicated to me that we would know by about mid December, but someone at the admissions office just told me we won't know until February because it's a ranked course and so competitive. Do you know which is right? I'd really like to know before next year if possible as I have to organise afterschool care etc and resignation from work etc. Not to mention that I am not sure I can wait that long !!!!

Andrea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha Andrea i know how you feel!!

I think usually you should find out in December....thats when first found offers go out. Second round offers could be available in January if people end up rejecting their offers. It sounds weird that they told you February because semester one starts in February!

I'm doing a preparation course and i won't get my results until the end of 2014 so i probably won't know until January some time Who is the actual course convenor?

The suspense is horrible!
    Last edited by Rhiannon92; 06-11-2014 at 19:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gee I wish I found out in December! Would be a great Xmas pressie if I got in!
    Im applying to ECU in Perth and have to wait until mid-January for first round. I'm a little nervous as I didn't do as well in the STAT as I had hoped. I got 158 which gives me a ranking of 85 and I've heard that these scores haven't made the cut in the past 😧

i too would love some advice on whether working weekends will be manageable as it's imperative that I continue to bring in some sort of income...

Thanks so much to those of you that are already studying for taking the time to respond and best of luck to all 2015 applicants 🙏

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI ANDREA<

HAHA I KNOW HOW YOU feel too> i can"t wait til we find out> at the open day< it was mentioned that we should find out early december>
    the suspense is killing me!!!
    can you remind me< who is studying with children here?
    (ps: i need a new computer< full stop not working today< grrr) lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello! 😀

I'll have a 10 month old and 3 year old when commencing. I'll do part time for first 2 years. Plan is to be in a job by time youngest is at school. How old are your youngens?

Jodie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rhiannon and Annabelley - I know - it already feels an age since I lodged my application and that was only just over a week ago! Heaven help us waiting another 6-7 weeks.

Hi jodieleigh and yourefunnymummy - good luck with your applications. I am glad I didn't have to sit a test!

I have three kids - a 10 year old, an 8 year old and almost 5 year old - all three will be in school next year which is good.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roogirl1973 For This Useful Post:

jodieleigh78  (08-11-2014),Rhiannon92  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Annabelle and Andrea,

I'm pretty sure it's December for you two!

I was watching 'the midwives' last night on TV (I know it's births and maybe not exactly what it's like for Australian midwives) now it's become so nerve racking to watch....i love it but i'm so worried i won't get in! For my preparation course i've been writing an essay on breast feeding and a research report on pregnancy in the work place......i'm so keen to study midwifery and i'm so terrified of disappointment. gahhh....the suspense!

Let me know if you would like to to meet up one day! I'm pretty flexible

Rhiannon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rhiannon

i'm happy to catch up for a coffee. This next week is a bit crazy but after that should be good.

Andrea