+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've only read your op not the comments, but I thought I would mention that I'm studying BSc Midwifery @ Curtin in WA and its external, no contact hours req. I only mention this because u have SA as the only non-contact :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default It's lodged!

Hi Rhiannon and Annabelley,

Well, I've lodged my application now for UC so fingers crossed we all get in!

I had that last minute urge not to push the button in case I'd forgotten something but I have to stop thinking about it - it's been all consuming lately!

We'll have to check back in here after we hear back and if we're in, we should catch up for a coffee - would be nice to know a friendly face or two when uni starts!

Meant to ask - have you both applied for full time?

Good luck to us all,
    Andrea

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roogirl1973 For This Useful Post:

Rhiannon92  (30-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to meet some time Andrea! It would be nice to talk to someone who is interested in the same thing as me and understand the stress haha.

I had the exact same stressed moment when i was like i hope that was the right file i uploaded! (i had several draft versions)

I applied full time Was it you who said they're applying part time?

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews

Default exciting times

Hi guys, this thread looks like a perfect place to get some more info
    I just got the results from my stat teat and looks like i did enough to qualify for dual degree at ecu WA. I just hope to be one of the 35 that gets a place.
    Im trying to get as well prepared and knowledgable about what uni will bring financially etc. Im wondering how much my book list will be per semester or per year? And if you think id be able to maintain a job on weekend days as well as the full time study?
    Also ive heard that we have to be fully immunised but i know that i have no immunity to rubella as ive had 3 x booster shots and nothing has taken, will this be an issue?
    Thanks so much, this is such an exciting life change for me but its still a little daunting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Andrea,

Congrats on getting that application in I find it is a relief to not have to think about it anymore.

Would love to catch up for a coffee I have applied part- time. I intend to complete course over 4 years, but would be very happy to go over 5 years also(just to get the home /study life in balance). I don't really like feeling stressed all the time and Am not in a hurry

Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Hi Everyone

My name is Sofi and I'm new to this forum.I actually don't have any children but I found your forum regarding midwifery and nursing really useful so I thought I would post my question on here.

I currently am finishing my degree in international relations. I've decided during my degree that midwifery is something I am passionate about and I would especially love to work for MSF from time to time, helping women and newborn children in developing countries.

I'm in NSW at the moment so I can choose between doing a B of Midwifery or a B of Nursing followed by post grad diploma training in midwifery. Unfortunately in NSW there is no combined nursing and midwifery degree otherwise there would be no dilemma for me.

I tried making a list as to which one I should do but am still having difficult deciding. I would prefer to study midwifery but I've read that it's hard to get a job just with the qualification of a RM alone, I can do midwifery and then do a masters in nursing but then that's 5 years of studying. If I do nursing and then try to get a grad position as a midwife, it's 3.5 years of studying but it's quiet competitive trying to find position so there's no guarantee. So basically I can take a longer route that will def mean I come trained as both a RN and RM. Or I can take the second route which may not get me to the ultimate goal I want.

So any advice? If a trained midwife wanted to be a registered nurse is there a shorter course or way she can do that? Any advice would be very much appreciated, especially for those who know about how it all works in NSW.

Please help.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by eclecticid View Post
    My name is Sofi and I'm new to this forum.I actually don't have any children but I found your forum regarding midwifery and nursing really useful so I thought I would post my question on here.

I currently am finishing my degree in international relations. I've decided during my degree that midwifery is something I am passionate about and I would especially love to work for MSF from time to time, helping women and newborn children in developing countries.

I'm in NSW at the moment so I can choose between doing a B of Midwifery or a B of Nursing followed by post grad diploma training in midwifery. Unfortunately in NSW there is no combined nursing and midwifery degree otherwise there would be no dilemma for me.

I tried making a list as to which one I should do but am still having difficult deciding. I would prefer to study midwifery but I've read that it's hard to get a job just with the qualification of a RM alone, I can do midwifery and then do a masters in nursing but then that's 5 years of studying. If I do nursing and then try to get a grad position as a midwife, it's 3.5 years of studying but it's quiet competitive trying to find position so there's no guarantee. So basically I can take a longer route that will def mean I come trained as both a RN and RM. Or I can take the second route which may not get me to the ultimate goal I want.

So any advice? If a trained midwife wanted to be a registered nurse is there a shorter course or way she can do that? Any advice would be very much appreciated, especially for those who know about how it all works in NSW.

Please help.
    Thank you!
    I am entering my last year in a BMid. My uni offers great community engagement projects too. I am about to head to Timor Leste to volunteer and engage in some health promotion. I too want to one day work with MSF so this opportunity is great.
    If you are passionate about mid you don't need nursing. Midwifery is a stand alone profession that is separate from nursing and yes I agree grad years in mid can be difficult to acquire but nursing doesn't help. Some grads end up on bank or getting positions that aren't classified as grad years so all hope is not lost. If you are interested in MSF you just need some experience post grad and the ALSO training.
    Good luck with your further studies.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alomumma For This Useful Post:

ANNABELLEY  (07-11-2014),Rhiannon92  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you alomumma and meredithgrey! I appreciate you taking the time to answer

If NSW had a combined nursing degree, I would be over the moon. And I would like to do both. I would prefer to study the B of Midwifery over nursing because I'm scared I'll do nursing and not secure a post grad spot in Midwifery. But then doing both degrees separately will take me 5-6 years. I don't want to study that long.

Does anyone know of any courses of programs a person who has done a B of Midwifery can do in order to be recognized as an RN?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have been lucky enough to have met 2 RMs who are not dual qualified and both have done several MSF missions. You just need at least 12mths postgrad and the ALSO training. One came and spoke to for one of our units too. Got me even more excited to finish and get prepped to help out. The ALSO training is about $2000 so you would want to be in paid work to afford it lol! But they have also mentioned on their website experience in rural/remote areas is a desirable. So working out in indigenous communities (something I already plan to do) will help you in having the right skills for MSF. The midwife who spoke with us also did this a few times in her amazing globetrekking career! She was an inspiration.
    As for post grad nursing. I know there is some talk of creating a 2yr course like there is for nurses to become mids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From what i've been reading in a lot of text books, reviews and even the information about the bachelor of midwifery, it seemed that Midwives don't really like to associate nursing and Midwifery together. They are two separate professions. One particular text book i read began by discussing that more separate Midwifery degree's should be offered.

I think everything depends on effort....you get what you put in. If you're really passionate about midwifery it will show and you will secure you a place