User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default For those looking at studying Midwifery- FAQ & A

I have noticed since my time in here that there are A LOT of people looking at doing Midwifery or Nursing/Midwifery. (and yes i was a bit bored today, so thought i would do this for you)

I thought i would put together a list of information for those who are looking at getting into this profession as to what they need to do to get in to the course of their preference.
    I will try to make a list of all the midwifery courses that I know of. (if I miss any, please let me know and I will add them)
    I will also put a common list of questions with answers (as far as I know, again, please let me know if you think i am wrong and i will edit the list.

Also, feel free to ask questions in this thread, so that others can see the answers you get. I have probably missed heaps of FAQ's and i am certain others will wonder the same things that you are, so ask away... no question is silly so don't be afraid!

List of Universities who offer Midwifery or Nursing/Midwifery (double degree)
    Please note these are for the 2012 intake.

Victoria- (vtac.edu.au)
    1. Bachelor of Midwifery at Victoria University (VU)
    2. Bachelor of Midwifery at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
    3. Bachelor of Midwifery/bachelor of Nursing at Monash University
    4. Bachelor of Nursing / Bachelor of Midwifery at La Trobe University
    5. Bachelor of Nursing / Bachelor of Midwifery at Deakin University
    6. Bachelor of Nursing Practice / Bachelor of Midwifery at Monash University

NSW- (uac.edu.au)
    1. Bachelor of Midwifery at University of Technology, Sydney (UTS)
    2. Bachelor of Midwifery at Southern Cross University (SCU)
    3. Bachelor of Midwifery at University of Newcastle
    4. Bachelor of Nursing (Fast Track) at University of Tasmania
    ACT
    Bachelor of Midwifery at University of Canberra

QLD (qtac.edu.au)
    1. Bachelor of Midwifery at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
    2. Bachelor of Midwifery at University of Queensland (UQ)
    3. Bachelor of Midwifery at Griffith University
    4. Bachelor of Nursing / Bachelor of Midwifery at University of Queensland (UQ)
    5. Bachelor of Nursing Science / Bachelor of Midwifery at University of the Sunshine Coast (USC)

Western Australia- (tisc.edu.au)
    1. Bachelor of Science - Midwifery at Curtin University
    2. Bachelor of Science - Nursing / Bachelor of Science - Midwifery at Edith Cowan University (ECU)
    South Australia (satac.edu.au)
    1. Bachelor of Midwifery at University of South Australia
    2. Bachelor of Midwifery (3rd Year Entry) at University of South Australia
    3. Bachelor of Midwifery (Pre-registration) at Flinders University
    4. Bachelor of Midwifery (Registered Midwife Entry) at Flinders University
    5. Bachelor of Midwifery (Registered Nurse Entry) at Flinders University
    Tasmania (utas.edu.au)
    From my understanding there is no direct midwifery courses in Tassie. You would need to do a Bachelor of Nursing first, then a graduate diploma of Midwifery.
    (please correct me if I am wrong)

Northern Territory (cdu.edu.au)
    Bachelor of Midwifery at Charles Darwin University (CDU)

A good link for info click here

Frequently Asked Questions-

Do I need to study nursing first?
    This one depends on what state you are studying in. In both Tasmania and NT, yes, you need to do a bachelor of Nursing then a Diploma of Midwifery. In the other states, they offer either the double Nursing/Midwifery degree or a bachelor of Midwifery. You do not have to have studied nursing before doing these 2 degrees.

How long is the midwifery or Nursing /midwifery course?
    A Bachelor of Midwifery will take 3 years full time to complete. A double degree – Bachelor of Nursing/Midwifery will take you 4 years to complete.
    UQ offer a fast-track the degree to 2.5yrs and 3.5yrs for dual.
    Can I study Midwifery from home?
    A-Yes. Uni SA offer an external Midwifery Course for residents for SA only. I believe this is due to placements in other states being too difficult to organise.

Can I study Midwifery Part time?
    A-Yes, Some universitys allow part time study, others do not. You would need to check each uni as to if they accept part time students or not. Some (like ACU) do not advertise that they allow part time study, but they do actually allow it. Contacting the actual uni will tell you this as well as looking at the individual uni’s web page for that course.

Can I work in the NICU or as a nurse if i have a Bachelor of Midwifery?
    No, a Bachelor of Midwifery will ONLY qualify you to do midwifery. You will not be able to work as a nurse in different wards, and you May not be able to work in the NICU if you only have a BMID. If you would like to work in the NICU, it is best for you to get a double degree in Nursing/Mid .

What can I do to increase my chances in getting a spot in a midwifery or Nursing/Mid course?
    Midwifery and Nursing/Midwifery are both highly competitive courses. Many people ask what they can do to increase your chances. Mostly, if you have completed a previous degree at university level you will be in a highly favourable position, even if it is in a totally different field.
    If you haven’t done this, you will at least have to sit some sort of STAT test. These are tests usually run through the body that you apply for the course through and are standardising/ranking tests. (eg done through VTAC, QTAC etc)
    Different Uni’s recommend different things as to what you can do to increase your chances. Some say that you can apply for individual units of study from that course, and if you do well in those, it will boost your chances (and you won’t have to repeat that subject when you get in if you get a place at the same uni).
    Some look favourably on a Tertiary Preparation Program that are offered at some Universities. Basically these courses assist you in making a transition back to tertiary learning level.

How many days will i need to be at Uni?
    This really depends on the university and if you are doing part time or full time. With most uni courses, the hours you spend at the actual uni are only about 1/3 of what you will need to do to complete the course. You will need to be able to commit yourself to hours of self study and doing your assignments and prac. Prac placements also vary per uni, and you are often required to do follow throughs (where you follow women through their pregnancy, birth and post natal periods)
    Each of these elements put together make up the amount of time you will need to complete the course.

Goodluck
    Last edited by RHJ; 26-07-2012 at 19:06. Reason: Adding BMid at Newcastle.
    Me- DH-
    R, H and J
    Now living the dream after 3 years at Uni.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (22-08-2012),Glover  (28-07-2012),Hollywood  (10-04-2012),HowCrazyCool  (26-07-2012),jbish  (23-07-2012),kipdoula  (30-01-2012),Minkie  (28-06-2011),Missemzy  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh how did you read my mind that yesterday and today Ive spent googling Mid/nursing degrees? LOL!

Im awaiting a reply from ECU in regards to doing this course.
    Me - 27 DF - 29
    DSS- Taije - 2000
    DS - Jet - 2010
    DS - Phoenix 40w3d Sleeping - 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jane that is awesome. I could of done with that about 6 months ago.

I have a diploma which equates to a rank of 82 which I am using to get in.

Also I know at UQ you can fast-track the degree to 2.5yrs and 3.5yrs for dual.
    Me Him (BF)
    SJ: 18 S: 7 T: 4 J: 3
    Nursing/Midwifery Student - UQ Ipswich (Ipswich Hospital)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamtobeamummy View Post
    Oh how did you read my mind that yesterday and today Ive spent googling Mid/nursing degrees? LOL!

Im awaiting a reply from ECU in regards to doing this course.
    Yeah, every time someone asks i have thought that it should be done, was just never willing to do it myself (didn't want to sound like a know it all... i am not, i used a lot of the other girls responses to make this list up... and thank you to them) I think it is really needed though with so many people wanting to do Mid

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo03 View Post
    Thanks Jane that is awesome. I could of done with that about 6 months ago.

I have a diploma which equates to a rank of 82 which I am using to get in.

Also I know at UQ you can fast-track the degree to 2.5yrs and 3.5yrs for dual.
    Thanks Linda, will add that in
    Me- DH-
    R, H and J

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great work, Jane!
    Suzy
    Student Midwife & Mum to DD(6), DS(4), DD(2)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jane

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have added this after reading the other threads regarding BMID @ UNI SA-

Applicants are advised that from 2011 the external Bachelor of Midwifery (both pre-registration and post-registration) is suitable only for students based in South Australia who wish to study externally. It is not suitable for interstate students due to increasing difficulty in obtaining clinical training opportunities in other states.

http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/pro...IBMW&Year=2010
    Me- DH-
    R, H and J

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All,
    Im going to ask some realy dumb questions so here goes..... Iam currently a swimming teacher but dont see myself working in this field forever. Iam wanting to study midwifery but all I have is a high school certificate. I didnt do year 12, I had my first child at 18 and now Im 30 with 5 kids. I cant keep having my own kids so Iam wanting to work eventually in this field. Do I need to obtain my HSC? How much does this course cost? Can I study from home? Iam on the central coast and dont want to travel everyday for uni. What are the requirments for getting into this course. Any info you have would be appreciated. Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey mum I did a tertiary preparation course at tafe and it takes into consideration life experience so marks you up a little bit! It's the equivilent of year 12. Doing that would help you get in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there - I am currently over half way thru my first year of a bachelor of midwifery over in NZ. We are probably moving to Gold Coast in the new year tho so I have applied to get into the Bach of Midwifery at both the above mentioned uni's as they do a direct entry midwifery programme. I would like to hear from anyone who studies at those uni's in general or esp midwifery students! I want to also know the logistics of studying at either campus (will more than likely live in central gold coast) and pros and cons etc BTW - the Griffith Uni course is located at the loganlea campus and the Southern Cross one at the tweed heads campus

Thanks heaps
    Tasha