User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    3,606
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0

    Default Tips for Living on a VERY tight budget???

    Hey Lovelies!

    In 2 weeks my income will drop by a HUGE amount!

    I am starting to worry about how I will afford rent, car repayments, groceries and living etc!

    My parents will help me if need be! They won't let me go under but I don't want to rely on them! They have done SOOOOOOOOOO much for me already!

    SO...

    I'm after tips/ideas/advice on how to live on a VERY tight budget!

    Anything from recipes to general ways to save a few bucks here and there!

    TIA!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    15,342
    Thanks
    1,200
    Thanked
    5,394
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Everytime you spend money, write it down, you will see what stupid and useless things you waste money on. It will also make you thin about exactly what you are spending.

  3. #3
    Theophania's Avatar
    Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,069
    Thanks
    818
    Thanked
    825
    Reviews
    1
    Well my mum had to bring me and my two sisters up on a SPP, so we were on a very tight budget....

    I would suggest if possible buying fruit and vegetables at your local markets - we cut our spending in half every week by doing this

    Buying meat in bulk if possible? Often butchers will have speacials on 2kg bulk meat buye, meat packs etc

    Buying clothes/toys etc on ebay or at op shops

    Ummmm... finding inexpensive activities on the weekend. There is a website that I use here in Brisbane where I can look up free events around my community etc. Can't remember the name of it at the moment but I am sure you can google it

    If you have a lot of loans etc then I would consolidate now before your income decreases, it makes re-payments sooo much easier.

    Um that is all I can think of at the moment, hope I have given you some fresh ideas


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    19,931
    Thanks
    4,965
    Thanked
    11,911
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I agree with Lozaaa. You need to write down everything you spend money on and cut out all the non essential stuff. Look at reducing your internet plan, shop at fruit and vege markets, keep your phone calls to a minimum, don't buy take away.
    My 2 munchkins
    1 Nov '11 11 July '12 20 Oct 2013 Much loved and never forgotten








  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,847
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0
    What kind of budget are we talking about? I'm really good at this, but it helps to know amounts and if it's just you or you and DP. If you'd rather not put it on the public forum you can PM, but living off under $400/week I have to really budget ATM to cover the cost of the house, car, school fees, bills, food, fuel, dog expenses lol, medical needs (excluding her specialist appointments, I get $105/fn in Carer's Allowance and her specialist appointments are every 6 weeks at a cost of $350 out of pocket so the carer's almost covers that cost), clothing, general school expenses, and whatever other costs come up

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    3,606
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    Loz and Delirium - Thanks! I will remember that! I think writing down ALL expenses will help!

    Tif - Thanks! How would I find where my local fruit & veg markets are? Just google? I know a GREAT discount butcher in the city I'm moving to and know where to get cheap pantry items too!

    MB - Worst case scenario I will be living off about $400 a week. I am hoping to get casual work on top of this but need a blue card (I let mine expire so not sure how long that will take to come). I will have a car repayment of $350 a f/t, $170 rent a f/t, can get rid of my net or downsize it, can downsize my phone plan. Don't have any other debt or credit card so I think I can do it! Will just have to be VERY careful!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brissy
    Posts
    14,419
    Thanks
    546
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Your car payment is $350 a fortnight and you'll be on $800 a fortnight approx, i'd think you may need to get a cheaper car How will you pay insurance, running costs, petrol, servicing etc...
    ~ Vee ~
    ~ Joshua Hayden - 8 ~
    ~ Cameron Elliott - 5 ~
    ~ Mitchell Ryan - October 6 2011 ~

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,752
    Thanks
    2,075
    Thanked
    3,520
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    start NOW, not in two weeks

    Work out all bill, loan and rent payments into weekly amounts and start that now.

    Write a menu right down to a couple of biscuits only per day, and only buy what you need for meals.

    Cook meals that have minimal left overs, or left overs that double up for lunch

    Switch to no-name brands for things at least like milk

    Have two meals pw that are not meat

    Have two meals pw that require minimal or no cooking

    Buy bread from the bakery and freeze it, also day old bread for $1 makes great toast and bread crumbs

    Look for a wholesale butcher where you can buy meat

    Turn off all lights that you don't immediately need

    Turn off at the switch any elect. appliances not currently being used.

    Always go to the toilet at the shopping centre

    Instead of borrowing money off Mum n Dad, eat there once pw

    Ask for vouchers for Christmas

    Read a book one night pw instead of watching TV

    Collect the shower water while waiting for it to run hot, and use it to soak clothes or to fill the washing machine

    Never buy coffee when out, take one with you.

    Walk to the local shops rather than drive, or try public transport

    Put on a jumper afore turning on the heater
    "Free speech does not give you a free pass to say incorrect things and not be criticised for it."

    Rosemary Johnson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,847
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_N View Post
    Loz and Delirium - Thanks! I will remember that! I think writing down ALL expenses will help!

    Tif - Thanks! How would I find where my local fruit & veg markets are? Just google? I know a GREAT discount butcher in the city I'm moving to and know where to get cheap pantry items too!

    MB - Worst case scenario I will be living off about $400 a week. I am hoping to get casual work on top of this but need a blue card (I let mine expire so not sure how long that will take to come). I will have a car repayment of $350 a f/t, $170 rent a f/t, can get rid of my net or downsize it, can downsize my phone plan. Don't have any other debt or credit card so I think I can do it! Will just have to be VERY careful!
    First of all, ge onto the car finance place. I did and for about 3 months they could drop repayments to $63/week but I was ahead and assured them that I would be able to pay $100/week when I could get it back up and now it's dropped again to $81.60/week. They can drop it if you show that you will be facing hardship.

    I live off less than $400/week with a child, a house, a car, school fees and all other living expenses and even though the house is more than you pay in rent, the car is far, far less. In fact, my house is probably less than your car!!!

    no matter what you do, if you can't get the cost of the car down you won't be able to do it. Also, you can work without the blue card so long as the application has been put in. It took 5 months for mine to process but I still worked in that 5 months because it was being processed.

    Our groceries for 2 of us come to $60/week but I buy from the markets, roadside stalls and fruit and veg shops that can do it cheaper, and go to the supermarket for generic brand things like flour and sugar and so on. 89c for 1kg of flour and you can do a whole lot with it too.

    I would also suggest making cheap meals in bulk and freezing them and we went through a phase of living off those packs of noodles that are rolled up into balls (don't know what they're called, they're from the Asian shop lol) and cooking them in vegetable stock. And people wonder why I went back to work when DD was a toddler but seriously, it's amazing what you do when you have to just survive, even if it's only for the short-term because I imagine this will only be over the school holidays right?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    3,606
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Your car payment is $350 a fortnight and you'll be on $800 a fortnight approx, i'd think you may need to get a cheaper car. How will you pay insurance, running costs, petrol, servicing etc...
    My income will only be this low for the next 6 weeks until school goes back. Then is will go up again and I will be able to afford the car!

    In saying that I am looking into other arrangements just in case!

    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear03 View Post
    First of all, ge onto the car finance place. I did and for about 3 months they could drop repayments to $63/week but I was ahead and assured them that I would be able to pay $100/week when I could get it back up and now it's dropped again to $81.60/week. They can drop it if you show that you will be facing hardship.

    I live off less than $400/week with a child, a house, a car, school fees and all other living expenses and even though the house is more than you pay in rent, the car is far, far less. In fact, my house is probably less than your car!!!

    no matter what you do, if you can't get the cost of the car down you won't be able to do it. Also, you can work without the blue card so long as the application has been put in. It took 5 months for mine to process but I still worked in that 5 months because it was being processed.

    Our groceries for 2 of us come to $60/week but I buy from the markets, roadside stalls and fruit and veg shops that can do it cheaper, and go to the supermarket for generic brand things like flour and sugar and so on. 89c for 1kg of flour and you can do a whole lot with it too.

    I would also suggest making cheap meals in bulk and freezing them and we went through a phase of living off those packs of noodles that are rolled up into balls (don't know what they're called, they're from the Asian shop lol) and cooking them in vegetable stock. And people wonder why I went back to work when DD was a toddler but seriously, it's amazing what you do when you have to just survive, even if it's only for the short-term because I imagine this will only be over the school holidays right?
    Not sure I will be able to get the car repayments lowered...I was behind a full f/n payment because the bank stopped our loan when we wrote off the car and then re-started it a f/n later when we got another brand new one from our insurance company. They didn't tell us it would mean being behind in payments so I have been slowly catching up all year. Think I am about $30 behind now if that.

    Thanks for all the tips and advice! I didn't realise I could work as long as the bluecard form was in! Thats great! I dare say my income will be higher then! Just not regular as it will be casual!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Anniversary ideas on tight budget!
    By haveheart in forum Gifts for Mums and Dads
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 16:32
  2. tight budget
    By toddler06 in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 09:34
  3. How much can you set up for a baby for on a tight budget?
    By share a book in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-04-2012, 16:52

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Free weekly inspiration
Sleeping and Settling Tips

directory quick search

postcode / advanced search basic search

 

who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!


forum - chatting now
 
can you help?
new stuffsee all
The Wiggles
Bigger, brighter and wigglier than ever, Australia's favourite children's entertainment group presents THE WIGGLES' BIG SHOW! This is their most exciting live show yet! Get ready to sing, dance and laugh along with Emma, Lachy, Simon and Anthony!
sales & discountssee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
gotcha