User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are you covered if you use an Ambulance (or have one called for you)

After talking about using an Ambulance in a thread it got me thinking.

Do you think Medicare cover's the Ambulance bill?

Do you know what happens in your State/Territory if
    you us an Ambulance?

Like who pays the bill?
    How much does it cost?
    What are you covered for?

I thought it would be interesting to see what people know.
    Last edited by *Cj*; 16-11-2009 at 21:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm in Queensland. Everybody with an electricty account pays an ambulance levy.

I think that means you don't have to pay if you call an ambulance. But I think they can charge you (or fine you) if you call one without good reason. (not sure though). Apparently people call them for all sorts of wacky reasons.

It must be different in other states because on my private health insurance statement, there's provision for ambulance cover but that bit doesn't apply in Queensland.

I've been lucky enough never to have to call one.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I myself am in QLD, and we pay an Ambulance levy on our electricity bills so all charges should be covered for everyone.... I think lol

Whispers is offline Ocupation: Mother of 3, yes it's job, one of the hardest and one of the greatest.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty sure our ambulance levy on our electricity bill pays for the bill if we need a ambulance. I am in Qld.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in NSW and you have to organise your own coverage privately through a health insurance company. I hadn't been covered for nearly 10 years but went and got coverage while I was pregnant (in case I fainted and someone called an ambulance- or worse). If I were to need an ambulance I'd be paying- usually around $200 but if you need a helicopter it could be a lot more.

It is definitely worthwhile making sure you're covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also in QLD, but as far as I'm aware you only get a "free" ambo (i,.e. covered by the ambulance cover on your power bill) if it's an accident, not an illness.

So, a car crash or falling off a roof is covered, but appendicitis or asthma attack isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    another queenslander here. i have used an ambulance several times and have never been charged at all. from what i know off, all ambulances are free in qld
    i cross all bridges with joy and ease.
    the "old" unfolds into wonderful new experiences.
    my life gets better all the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    That makes sense Nonny! I'm in qld and don't pay elec bcoz I live in an edu dept house. But when DF and I rolled our car earlier in the year we called 000 got 2 ambulances, 2 police cars and 2 fire trucks sent out to us but never got a bill!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just checked and am happy to be wrong. :-)

The only time you may pay is if you use the ambo for transport between home and hospital or public to private hospital when it is not urgent, and then your private insurance may cover it.

http://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/subscribe/faq.asp

ETA - the rules I was thinking of are the ones that applied in NZ when I lived there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    i dont think QLD has to pay. after seeing the amount of people being taken away in them on weekends for too much drinking/ drug use and myself having used them many times and even used for coop only coz we had no other way to get to childrens hospital at 2am we have never recieved a bit
    i cross all bridges with joy and ease.
    the "old" unfolds into wonderful new experiences.
    my life gets better all the time