User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Prams, cots, bassinets - advice?

Hey Ladies,

Not to sure if this is the place to be posting...

Before buying a subscription to choice magazine i thought i'd consult the real experts!

As this is my first pregnancy, i'm a tad bit lost...
    I'm wondering if you could share your advice and recommendations for prams, cots and bassinets ...

Prams - what would you consider the best, most practical ?

Cot vs Bassinet - A few people have said, yeah get a bassinet for the first few months then a cot... What has your experience been with a bassinet and cot - any recommendations?

Thanks heaps for your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    i wish i had gotten a baby capsule, you can transport a sleeping baby anywhere!, they also fit into a pram, the car, and some turn into rockers! (but can only be used till 8 kgs i think..which is about 8 months old)..

i wouldnt bother with a bassinette.. such a waste of money. i only used it for 3 months..

prams- get a 3 wheeler. the 4 wheelers are hard to control, and its difficult going up kerbs etc. or instead of a pram, buy a decent stroller that lays back

cot- if you have the money... you can get cots that turn into a toddler bed, and then a couch.. so gorgous
    Me&Him+7years =

Thanks
    Reviews
    It all depends on your specific needs really. I can tell you what we got though, and what helped in our decision making.

Pram - We got a Strider 4. It's easy to get in an out of the car, VERY easy to manoeuvre, can be forward or rear facing (and since the seat itself turns, not just flipping the handles over, you still get the benefit of being able to steer it properly in either setting), it had big enough wheels (smaller wheels are a ***** when you're walking around the neighbourhood where you go over grass or gravel), and the best bit is that the handle adjusts in height easily for both myself at 5'3" and DP who is 6'7". You can also recline the seat to the various positions while baby is in there without any jerking or noise. SOme prams I've seen the adjusting makes a loud click, or the seat itself gets a jolt as you move it, which wakes a sleeping baby). The only downside of it is that it's a littl ebit wider (but we go shopping with it all the time and it's fine, you just have to use the wheelchair checkouts at the supermarket). It's a bit heavier than some, also, but I have a bad back and I still find it really easy to collapse it and put it in the car boot.

Cot - we got given a Boori. It's quite big. I don't like how it takes two hands to drop the sides down, so I leave them up. At almost 7 months old, DP is close to trying to climb it, so I'm going to have to drop the base down from baby setting, to toddler setting.

Bassinet - We got one, as I like my babies in my room with me, even when they're not in my bed (like daytime naps etc). You can wheel it around, it's easy to throw a mozzie net over if you want to take them outside in it (many of the baskets on them will detatch so you can take that bit outsiode with you to hang laundry, do gardening etc). They're good for taking away for the night, as you can pack all baby's things into them to travel (so they don't take up too much "extra" room in the boot). DS lasted in his until about 4 months old, cause he's tall, and was waking himself up when his arms and legs hit the sides. Once we moved him to the cot he slept much better. I bought it secondhand for $40 in excellent condition, as I can't justify spending $$ on a new one that will only be used for a few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definately get a bassinette for those first couple of months, it made life so much easier having the ability to have DD in our room or in the lounge if necessary- I agree don't spend heaps on this as you only use it until about 2 months old.

I have a capsule that fits into the pram, and it is great but heavy!! Don't expect to be just carrying it around if you do get one, cause with bubs weight + the weight of the capsule it is really heavy. But it is good for those times where you want to go shopping & have bub fall asleep and not have to wake them to get them in the car.
    I bought the fisher & price capsule & pram which is a direct copy of the steelcraft one. It is a 3 wheeler with pnematic tyres (sp? the ones you can pump up) and it is so easy to push. But it is a little awkward to lift into the car, and I have a wagon, so would definately be looking at something a little easier to put in the car next time. I watched a lady putting her pram in the car yesterday at the shops, it looked like one of those mountain buggy ones.... gosh it was so easy, click of a button and it was in half and she picked it up with one hand and put it in the car.

I bought a cot from target for $175 when they have their sales.... and it is brilliant... never have a problem with it. The side goes down with one hand and your hip.

Our Eofys Monkey born 30/06/09

It's a girl!! Due 04/03/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    prams comes down firstly if you prefer 3 or 4 wheel. Personally i dislike 3 wheels (have heard a few stories of them tipping over). Then how much you want to spend. I have a love n care adiva sport which has been excellent. The seat converts to a basinett for newborns then you gradually increase the incline to sitting up. It has a small wheelbase so you can get through little spots and fits in my festiva boot,
    Cots, get what you can afford. I really wanted one that you can slide the front down with only one hand, but in the end probably wasn't essential.
    Bassinets would have been a waste of money for me. Had a big bub so would have spent very minial time in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pram- I don't really like 3 wheeler either. That said they are easier to handle going up and down stairs, over curbs etc but they're generally wider (think about this for your car as well as shopping and doorways etc), more unstable IMO.

I bought a Peg Perego Uno, this appealed to me because of the layback position, when in layback it is lovely and long and my 5 month old can still very comfortably spread out and go to sleep, as I had a winter baby the boot warmer etc were other features I liked. Reversible handle, it can take advantage of the whole travel system (can use it with their specific brand of capsule). It is light, easy to maneuver and has a huge shopping basket (I can't drive so really needed this option as I always use my pram) and can handle weight on the handles as well. No toddler seat option though and I had issues with brake failure (was still under warranty so it was fixed without issue and very quickly).

Go to all of the shops and have a go comparing them all yourself. Try putting them up and down, look out for feature you'd like (i.e bubs to be facing you, or ability to jog with or use off road) you need to buy for your lifestyle.

Cot- I have a Boori- have NEVER needed two hands to put up the sides etc?? It has a single handed action (you use your leg as well to gently lean in on the side) It converts to toddler bed and daybed/couch. I loved the matching furniture so bought all of that as well but they're pricey and it isn't that important to spend huge $ on a cot you can get very nice ones at a lot less cost. Ikea ones come out on top for safety Boori is also passed by choice as little fingers cannot get trapped in the drop sides and the spaces between palings is correct.

Bassinette- I got given a cradle which is bigger than a bassinette so DD is still in it at 5 months but I really need to get her into the cot soon. You can't maneuvre the cradle that I have (it's not on wheels) it has a rocking action but I didn't trust it so have always kept it locked. If you buy a 2nd hand cradle, being timber they're not going to suffer from use and you can just strip and re-paint. I wouldn't have bought a new one, waste of money. I love having DD in my room though especially for winter nights and breastfeeding.

I'm not sure about capsules but if they can only be used till 8kg then bear in mind my DD is already 8kg at 5 months and isn't a particularly large baby or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks!

Thanks Ladies,

This is great information! Thanks so much!

Now all i have to do is get my lovely mother -in- law to read the posts She is insisting that she buys us a pram *rolls my eyes* (don't want to sound ungrateful, but i also don't want a 1950's style pram for the newborn either lol)

I'm looking forward to reading more posts and doing some more research!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChicken View Post

Cot- I have a Boori- have NEVER needed two hands to put up the sides etc?? It has a single handed action (you use your leg as well to gently lean in on the side)
    The one I was given has a bit of metal on each side that the front rests on, and you have to lift the front upa little, then somehow use both hands to push the metal bits out the way so the front can drop down. You almost need THREE hands!

I'm certain the design has changed since then. I remember my old cot from 10 years ago had the simple lift, nudge with hip, drop down sort of front.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup must have changed as my Boori is the simple lift nudge etc one, yours doesn't sound worth the effort- hope it will be ok on your back when you lower the mattress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It all depends on your lifestyle when it comes to prams. We bought a Mountain Buggy with the bassinet when DS arrived. It is great for walking off road and on gravel tracks - which we do a lot of. Stroller is no good for this sort of walking. We can't fault it at all. And I used the bassinet for sleeping at home during the day when I wanted DS downstairs with me (when he was tiny that is), and then he would sleep in his cot at night time. We found we were disturbing each other if he was in our room so we didn't use a bassinet. He was fine with going straight into the cot.

We hired a capsule for DS' first five months or so. Loved the convenience of it but you shouldn't leave them in them for too long as they aren't great for their backs.
    DS1 - 17 March 08
    DS2 - 22 April 10