User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Home Remedies for Gastro?

Obviously TMI, but I've caught some awful gastro bug that's going around lately. Apparently, I'm lucky though because it's ONLY given me gastro... most others are also chucking their guts up. (I feel like I will, but I need to be seriously sick - or drunk, lol - to throw up).

Anyway, it went on all day yesterday (I woke up early because I had to use the toilet) and again today... and it's not getting better.

It's horrible - my stomach is sore from getting such a workout, the "bottom end" is sore from being overused, and I've got nausea too. I'm also tired from getting up a thousand times last night to spend half the night on the toilet.

Here's a really gross part - it's like pure liquid. The consistancy of water. It's just dreadful. It makes it very hard to make it to the toilet on time because, (TMI to follow) well, it's a lot easier to hold in something slightly solid as opposed to pure liquid.

I just feel awful, and really want something to help! I didn't bother with the chemists today and getting anything there... though I might tomorrow. But for now, what can I do? Any help you can offer would be much apprecaited.

(I know I shouldn't eat much, but I'm STARVING... so I've had a vegemite sandwich and a vegetarian pastie - mostly potato centre - for dinner).
    I've now lost 42kg thanks to my gastric sleeve surgery!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps4765124b.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a junket tablet, it will solidify things inside. I hope you feel better soon, gastro sucks big time!!
    Busy mumma of 4

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DP has had the gastro bug a couple of times in the last few months.

DR's advice to him (other than the prescriptions he got given) was to eat, plain boiled potato, dry toast, dry biscuits (sao's etc) and keep up fluids as much as possible but only water - totally stay away from dairy till you are all better.

Def get yourself to chemist when you can to get some tablets to help stop it and maybe some hydralyte to help re-hydrate your body
    Me
    DH
    DD1 july 2007
    DD2 november 2010
    Bubba #3 due march 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Raspberry jam. just a teaspoon. It really works!
    Tracey, 30 and Matt, 30
    Mum to: Jayden, 5/7/02 * Bailey, 10/2/04 * Owen, 11/06/07 * Jye, 11/12/08 * Tahnee, 14/05/10 *Stepmum to Charlotte, 10/9/04

Thanks
    Reviews
    grated apple is another that I was told when I rang 13 HEALTH when I was breastfeeding and couldn't take any medications for gastro. Worked for me! Good luck....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks everyone.

I have no idea what a junket tablet is... is it used in cooking? lol. Sorry.

Yeah, white foods and clear liquids... what I was dreading. Had some white bread before but not sure that's going to be good as I read the packet afterwards and it was a high fibre one... which I think is counterproductive, right? lol.

I dunno if we've got raspberry jam but I'll take a look in the fridge. I've never heard anything like that, but I'll give it a go. I'm willing to risk it at this point. I'm just so exhausted because I've evacuated (lol) all foods and worked yesterday too... and was busy again today...

BLAH!

I really hope I can get a good sleep tonight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I have no idea what a junket tablet is... is it used in cooking? lol. Sorry.
    You can find them where the pudding and pavlova etc mixes are in the super market. You mix them with milk and put them in the fridge - they're a dessert and theres a few different flavours in the packet. BUT if you're taking it for gastro you don't mix it with milk you just take 1 tablet with some water.
    Busy mumma of 4

Thanks
    Reviews
    no really this one works!!
    I think it's probly too late but I would like to suggest boiling a little bit of rice and drinking the water.. just a little bit..
    something to do with the starch. old family trick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Thanks everyone for your tips. I'll keep them in mind for the future.

The bug seems to have disappeared! YAY!

What did I do to get rid of it? Well, I checked the fridge for jam... we only had strawberry, but figured I'd give it a go... and, well, nothing last night, nothing today, and stomach feels a lot better...

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Inner health plus tablets. The good bugs kill the bad ones. Yakult is just as good if you can keep it down.