User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long does a spinal block last for?

I am having an elective CS in 3 weeks. How long will it be for me to use my legs again. I am going in at 6.30am and I don't know when they are doing it but would like to know if that same day I will be able to get out of bed on my own??? Last time it took a whole day so it was no point having visitors.
    1 yr old to 5 yr= 4 lively kids

98 94 90 88 86 84 82 80 78 76 74 72 70 I made to goal 15/7/2010

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had use of my legs (but a bit wobbly) within an hour of an epi, sorry not sure with the spinal. I did have a spinal with my c/section for my second and I could move my legs around within the same period of time but there is no way I could have walked around, mainly due to complications and the fact that I had just had surgery. I got up the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a spinal with my second c-section. I think it took a few hours to totally wear off. But I agree with Happylady; I wouldnt be walking around until the next day after major surgery. Plus I wouldnt want visitors until the next day anyway (besides close family). But that is just my opinion; if you feel that you can get up and walk around and the nurses think it's fine then go for it.
    Me (Peta) - nearly thirty!
    DH - 37
    DD- Lily Rose born 01/05/2003
    DS- Jack William born 19/05/2005

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I also had a c-section with an epi. I could move my legs within an hour or so but I couldn't get up and walk around as I was to sore and also I had a catherda ( I think thats how you spell it) in. But I also had complications. I think it is normal to be moving around the next day a little or with the help from a nurse/midwife. Buy the third day I was up and about no problems.

I agree with PMS if the nurses say its alright and you feel up to it, it's proberly a good thing to move around.

Bec
    Bec (me) -32y
    Beau 2.7y (28-11-2003)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had this twice. Both times the spinal wore off about 5 hours later i think. But you can't get up because you'll still have the catheter in til the next morning... oh and yes, u best give the wound time to settle.
    But its not bad.
    I wouldn't have visitors first day anyway. Give you a chance to bond as a family. IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A tip for you make sure they have your weight absoultey correct they got my weight wrong and gave me to much resulting in me not being able to swallow!! mine lasted 18 hours no mobility at all they had to turn me every hour so I didn't get pressure in one spot to long!!
    Eliza - April 06
    Jeremiah - June 08
    Theodore - September 10

Thanks
    Reviews
    My spinal wore off within an hour...... I was actually able to wiggle my toes about 15 mins after they had finished stitching me up!! Then move my legs about 15 mins later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info I will now know when to tell the relo's to visit.
    1 yr old to 5 yr= 4 lively kids

98 94 90 88 86 84 82 80 78 76 74 72 70 I made to goal 15/7/2010

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I don't remember how long it took to wear off but I wasn't allowed out of bed for the first 24 hours and had a catheter and when I did get out I had to be supported by 2 nurses just to go to the loo. To be honest, time was a blur as I'd already spent 4 weeks in hospital before the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a spinal block for my elective c/s nearly a year ago. It lasted 5 hrs (I had it around 1pm), but wasn't out of bed and walking til the next morning - due to the catheter and giving my body some time to heal after surgery. I only had my and my husbands immediate family visit on the first day, but had lots of visits the next day (public holiday) and found it quite exhausting. My advice is try to pace your visitors and take advantage of the rest periods when you can!! Good luck!
    Me 35 DH 34
    DD 16th Aug 2005
    DD 1st Oct 2007