Where do I start................
My hubbys father has a form of muscular dystrophy(charcott marie tooth or CMT), its not a very severe one it affects the nerves that control the way you limbs move. It comes on gradually and gets worse over time. His father was diagnosed at about 26 and is now 55, he walks with a limp and sometimes finds it hard to get up from a chair.
Anyway, today we went to a genetic specialist to see what the chances our baby will have of developing this disease (Iam 12 1/2 weeks)
My hubby has no signs or symptoms, its just such a complicated disease and has so many different forms I thought we would come away with some answers today I guess I set myself up for a bit of a fall in thinking this.
Basically at this stage there is a one in four chance (25%) that our baby will be affected, but as we are uncertain of what type hubbys father has its difficult for the doctor to be any clearer.
The next step is for his dad to have a blood test for the most common type and see what that come up with if its positive then shane can be tested too, I guess I got upset as the dr asked if it is the worst case senerio would we terminate ?
I think right now my feelings are if it comes on later in life I would not terminate. but if it will affect our child as an infant and progressively get worse then I would definately consider termination but its such a difficult decision.
Anyone else had a similar situation with genetic issues???