• ERGObaby USA are currently trying to stop the counterfeits at the manufacturing source – they have already located one factory in China but suspect there may be more.
• Both ERGObaby USA and Babes in Arms are in daily contact with eBay to have the fake listings removed.
• IP legal advice is currently being sought to deal with this issue in a more permanent way.
MAIN SAFETY CONCERNS FOR CONSUMERS
The counterfeit ERGOs may pose a safety hazard due to inferior materials and/or workmanship. Of course, no warranty protection is offered with respect to counterfeit products.
• Counterfeit ERGOs are made with inferior material and parts – particularly the buckles!
• Fake ERGOs are not product tested for safety
• Are not covered by any Product Insurance
• Product Warrantee does not cover counterfeits
• Not likely to comply with US lead-free criteria
HOW TO PICK A RIP-OFF ERGO:
• Fabric feels different
• Waist band and shoulder strap padding is thinner
• Warning label is smaller and located on the body of the carrier, instead of being on the waist band
• number and quality of hood snaps is different
• buckles are different, especially the chest/shoulder strap buckles
• zipper pull of the rear pocket does not have the ERGO logo
• box packaging is completely different, yet ERGO photos and information are used
• some listings include Suck Pads and Infant Inserts (mainly using the old critter print linings)
• DVD is included