User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    MilkOnTap is offline Rivi Cecilia - my 2nd VBAC Home Birth has arrived!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fake ERGO Baby Carrier warning

BACKGROUND INFO:
    • ERGObaby USA are currently trying to stop the counterfeits at the manufacturing source – they have already located one factory in China but suspect there may be more.
    • Both ERGObaby USA and Babes in Arms are in daily contact with eBay to have the fake listings removed.
    • IP legal advice is currently being sought to deal with this issue in a more permanent way.

MAIN SAFETY CONCERNS FOR CONSUMERS
    The counterfeit ERGOs may pose a safety hazard due to inferior materials and/or workmanship. Of course, no warranty protection is offered with respect to counterfeit products.
    • Counterfeit ERGOs are made with inferior material and parts – particularly the buckles!
    • Fake ERGOs are not product tested for safety
    • Are not covered by any Product Insurance
    • Product Warrantee does not cover counterfeits
    • Not likely to comply with US lead-free criteria

HOW TO PICK A RIP-OFF ERGO:
    • Fabric feels different
    • Waist band and shoulder strap padding is thinner
    • Warning label is smaller and located on the body of the carrier, instead of being on the waist band
    • number and quality of hood snaps is different
    • buckles are different, especially the chest/shoulder strap buckles
    • zipper pull of the rear pocket does not have the ERGO logo
    • box packaging is completely different, yet ERGO photos and information are used
    • some listings include Suck Pads and Infant Inserts (mainly using the old critter print linings)
    • DVD is included
    DS - May 07 - c'sect
    DD - Dec 08 - VBAC at Home
    Surprise due mid September

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Seems like the ERGO producers are concerned because they are missing out on a slice of the market. I have seen the "fakes" mentioned, and I actually own a real one and have to say that for they are pretty comparitable.
    You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance. Lee Iacocca

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think actually ergo are more concerned about the fact that these particular fakes are being passed off as real ergos. consumers are buying what they think is an ergo when in fact its a fake.
    i dont think it has to do with missing out on a slice of the market, not at all
    Text speak is an abomination and a scourge on the English language - Loretta West

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah, Ergo have every right make a fuss over products being sold as Ergos, particularly if they're poorly manufactured. Its probably got more to do with reputation than maintaining a corner on the market. If you bought a faulty product that you believed was an Ergo then that can seriously damage their repuation.

I dont have a problem with copying an idea though and branding it as your own, providing its a unique product so not to effect patenting and copy write, because obviously if someone is copying an ergo seam for seam then thats wrong also because Ergo have gone to the time and expense to design that product and surely they've patented they're patterns!

I was looking at a ergo style carrier, made in china, but decided against it because I cant trust that it meets safety standards, but no where on that product or advertising did it say the word Ergo - and there were a few visible differences (though clever patenters patent various of their original design so someone cant come along and just move the seams 1cm IYKWIM.