+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question rental cover letter help

well, i'm moving in october/november (yay!) and want to start getting my 'affairs' in order lol

from what i've read on here and various other places, it's a good idea to put a cover letter on your rental application.

so, what do i write? lol i'm really at a loss where to begin! does anyone have one i could take a look at? (with the particulars removed of course!)

anyone got any tips in general?

thanks,
    love emma
    xoxox
    all i need is him my amazing little man

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I have copied, pasted and edited the cover letter I gave to the Real Estate and it is below for you to view. I asked the RE to pass it on to the home owners. I ended up getting the house, which is where I am living now.

One of my concern was that i was 31 when applying for a house and had never been on a lease (well I had once but had lost the papers in the floods) as I always moved in with 'flatmates'. Thats why I explained it in the letter.

Good luck!

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am applying to be the tenant of your home, along with (child name) who is ** years of age.

I have supplied my identification to (name of Real Estate) along with a reference from someone who I have previously rented a room that was leasing the unit.

I have been living with my family for the last few years, however, I have decided to find a home to rent for my son and I, and your house is ideal for its size and also the fact you have a great size yard that is fenced, which would be wonderful for my son.

Previously when I have rented I have moved in with tenants that are already on the lease, therefore didn't require me to be on the lease also. Whenever I have rented I have always be regular with my payments, and have not once ever been late with these payments. Please feel free to contact my reference (insert reference name here), whose name was on the lease, and I rented a room from him for a few years.

I am very clean and treat the house with respect, and always leave the home in the best condition.

I work at ************, and combined with my regular Centrelink payments, I usually clear over $***** per week, so payment of rent will be regular.

If it is needed, my father (or someone who is willing to go on the lease with you as a guarantor) is willing to be named on the lease if this is necessary.

I hope that you will consider me to rent your place as I need to find a home for my son and I, and I do think your place would be absolutely perfect for the both of us.

If you would like to contact me, my phone number is ********, and I will gladly answer any questions you may have.

Kind regards,
    Me (35)
    Boy of the house - 4.5 (must not forget the half!)

Just be yourself; everybody else is taken...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy76 For This Useful Post:

Idonttrustjelly (27-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya darls I just explained my situation just saying that I separated from my husband I am not mother of two little boys and I get this much from centrelink and so on. Just be upfront and tell them the truth I applied for 2 houses and got both so I could picked which one I really wanted. Hope this helps

JadeyBaby2 is offline <---- who's the naughty one in this family!!??
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh, I didn't realise things had come to having to put a cover letter on a rental application!!! Why?? Not knocking it or anything, but just seems such hard work now......I've lived here for 3 and half years (renting) and didn't realise things had changed so much. Is everyone doing this or just sole parents??
    JUST ME: Kissing 30s A**!
    Little Ball Of Energy-Tristan, Born 17/07/2003
    Michievous Munchkin-Ayanna, Born 03/12/2008
    ***Don't keep driving into poles, pay attention to your path!***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not to sure but it worked for me and the rental person told me it was a good idea cause some people dont like leasing out there rentals to single mums cause some have given us bad names which we are not all like that sux when that happens but thats life I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had to move to a new house(to be closer to my family) shortly after we lost my DP in january this year......i was not required to write a cover letter and havnt heard of it either ??
    my thought is if they are making single mums write a cover letter are they making everyone else that applys write the same ???
    (some areas are always more difficult to get rentals i guess thats what it all comes down to !)

my opinion they shouldnt be able to do this it could be a form of discrimination ?

op...i hope u get a house soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't believe it's just single mums, it's all people who may not be consider 'desirable' by the land lord you don't have to write one, but if it helps us get the house...

i'm moving in with a couple so that makes it easier lol

thanks for all the support and help! i'm going to chat with them tomorrow and hopefully sort out a good letter, as well as all the other stuff!

(gosh moving is rather involved isn't it!)

we're not looking til next month, with an aim to move mid october, but i'll keep you posted!

anyone live in the heidelberg ish area? lol

love emma
    xoxox
    all i need is him my amazing little man