User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tomato paste alternative?

I am cooking spaghetti bolognese tonight as my cupboard is very very bare but I have run out of tomato paste. Is there anything else I can use to thicken the sauce up without it?

I really don't want to go out to just buy tomate paste IYKWIM.

TIA
    DD1 - 24/7/04
    DD2 - 02/05/06
    DS - 13/08/08

2nd Year Nursing Student - QUT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now don't quote me on this as I haven't tried it yet, but my work colleague was talking about this the other week and swears by adding a little bit of gravy to her pasta sauce (she adds this to bolognaise) and it gives it a nice flavour and thickens this.

It was suggested as my DH complains about my sometimes watery bolognaise sauce sometimes and I was whinging about him whinging .

Apparently she uses the Greens brand Gravy (though I'm sure brand shouldn't matter .
    Last edited by Misheycat; 04-08-2009 at 12:55. Reason: BAAAAD grammar - fixed
    Me DH - both 32
    DD - 11/08/08
    DS - 12/07/11

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as you have some form of tomato going in for flavour, try thickening up the sauce with some pureed vegetables like carrot,potato & zucchini if you have any on hand. Strain any extra liquid out first of course!

Or for something different cooked red lentils and add a bit of tomato sauce (taste first to see if required)?
    Me & DP
    DD; DS2 ; DS1 - Heart Angel 4/3-26/5/08

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misheycat View Post
    Now don't quote me on this as I haven't tried it yet, but my work colleague was talking about this the other week and swears by adding a little bit of gravy to her pasta sauce (she adds this to bolognaise) and it gives it a nice flavour and thickens this.

It was suggested as my DH complains about my sometimes watery bolognaise sauce sometimes and I was whinging about him whinging .

Apparently she uses the Greens brand Gravy (though I'm sure brand shouldn't matter .

Thanks Michelle that could work
    DD1 - 24/7/04
    DD2 - 02/05/06
    DS - 13/08/08

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tomato paste is more for an intense flavour rather than thickening. If you want it a bit thicker though, just cook it longer with the lid off to reduce down. I like to put bacon in mine, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    with cooking it longer and reducing the liquid works for me..also you could add tomato sauce and for flavour honey! Very yummy!!
    Me +DH + DD +D? = 1 Perfect Family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I am just too darn lazy to lug 3 kids to the grocery store for 1 item.
    DD1 - 24/7/04
    DD2 - 02/05/06
    DS - 13/08/08