User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do Twins develop their milestones later than single birth babies?

Can twin mummies answer this question?

Do twins

walk later
    build blocks later
    take instructions later
    develop understanding (cognition) later

or do they develop at normal pace to a single baby?

I understand a premature birth baby may do these things later, but do twins born near to term develop slower too.

I would think they would develop faster as they have the stimulation from one another etc.

what do you think?
    I am the old lady that lives in the shoe that has so many children and is lost what to do ... some days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each child is different and reach milestones at different time. As hard as it is you cant compaire twins to each other when reaching milestones. So many people dont see twins as individuals and think they should do things at the same time, which of course 9 times out of 10 they dont.

Anyway, my answer is - They arent slower, they arent quicker. Every child is different!

My 2 sat, crawled and walked all before 11 months. But, didnt do it at the same time, usually within weeks of each other. They talked, threw tantrums, and basically acted like any other child. Just because they are twins it doesnt make them any different from any other kid.

My two were born at 37 weeks, which is considered full term for twins.
    Last edited by 2plus1; 02-08-2009 at 13:56.
    Me 35 DH 38
    DD & DS - 4 (Oct 04)
    DS - 6 months (Jan 09)

A Party of Five is offline Winner 2008 � Most Boring Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Twins are often slower to talk than single children but not always. It is quite normal for twins to be as much as six months behind singletons and to speak in shorter simpler sentences. Most grow out of it but some may continue to have speech difficulties. Sometimes the cause is down to their premature birth but studies are currently researching for a better understanding.
    "Destiny is not a matter of chance, but of choice;
    it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

Thanks
    Reviews
    that is really interesting Mocha..

thanx 2plus1 also.
    I am the old lady that lives in the shoe that has so many children and is lost what to do ... some days

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to disagree!

There is no more issues with speech in twins as there is in singletons.

Premature babies may have developmental issues but this is nothing to do with being twins. Premature singletons go through the same things as premature multiples.

Yes twins is a high risk pregnancy and some are born premature.

But, just because they are multiples it doesnt make them any different from any other singleton baby/child.
    Me 35 DH 38
    DD & DS - 4 (Oct 04)
    DS - 6 months (Jan 09)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is quite a bit of info that says that twins can take longer to develop language, speech and reading. However, there are fewer papers coming out today that still talk about this. So it could be 1) established as fact and therefore no longer need to keep talking about it or 2) factors influencing speech in twins may have been identified and so parents and health care providers can now work on these factors to help the twins attain these skills.

There was some research done a few years ago that looked at speech development in twins and compared speech 'ability' in boy/boy, boy/girl and girl/girl twins. Twin siblings that had either one or two girls scored much higher in a language test than when there was twin boys.

Garitte et al. (2002) Speech in same- and different-sex twins 4 and 5 years old. Twin Res. 2002 Dec;5(6):538-43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My twins were similar to 2plus1. Walking etc by 11mths.

But we did have some problems with DD3 and her speech. She didn't talk for quite a long time. (even with just us) DD2 used to speak for her and come and tell us DD3 was thirsty or hungry etc even though we hadn't heard her say anything to DD2. We used to encourage DD3 to tell us herself but half the time she would just nod her head.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default milestones.

No i don't think they do. One area of weakness may be language & talking because researchers say twins might share their own special language with each other making it hard to adapt with other children. Mostly though i think they are up there with singleton children.

I'm not trying to sound superior or big note myself, but when i took my twins to their check up with the health nurse they were assessed as being ahead of children their age in terms of physical and mental development. I don't think they are gifted or anything, we were just lucky they weren't born premature & had the best start to life being very healthy.

Every individual has their own learning style. I know with my twins, the eldest will usually attempt something first & my younger twin will learn by imitating. Talk to your children alot it's amazing how much they actually understand. Whenever i wash up or sweep the floor etc i explain what i'm doing. When my boys are in the bath we go through the alphabet, sing songs & count. I find ways to incorporate learning with doing something fun & doing it consistently that's the key.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My twins are premature, one of them has consistently been at or ahead of chronological age for milestones whilst the other is at or behind corrected age for milestones.

I haven't noticed any real difference that I would factor as being a "twin" issue.
    Me - 41, DP - 47
    DSD 28, DS1 17, DS2 15
    DD & DS3 25.09.2005 (31wks)
    12wks 03/07

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi , I cant quote research or anything, but my twins were born at 37 weeks, and there was about one month between reaching milestones. The older girl did every thing one month ahead of her sister, except for cutting teeth. They made each milestone in the range of what a singleton baby would do. But I do agree, each baby is an individual, and they all grow on their own timetable. Cheers Marie.
    Marie ~ mum to four adults,
    DS 1 -35, DD 1 & 2 - 33, DS 2 -29
    grandma to 4 grandsons and two granddaughters
    GS 14 yrs, GS - 9 yrs, GS - 6 yrs, GS -3yrs , GD - 2yrs and 6months old/new granddaughter.