User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Good movies for babies (that wont drive you crazy)?

Jasper is a very very active baby. VERY active. I feel really validated when other mothers have commented that my 7.5 month old is exhausting just to watch - and they cant imagine how I manage with him day in, day out, as he is crawling, cruising on furniture, bounces in your lap if you hold him. He crashes out for a couple of naps a day (thank god!) but for 9 hours a day he is into EVERYTHING and does not sit still.

Thats my disclaimer.

I feel like a bad mummy sometimes that I plonk Jasper in his bouncy seat to watch The Wiggles, but seriously, try one day with my son and you'd do the same! He's becoming increasingly difficult even to take him out of the house for any length of time, because he cant handle being strapped into his pram for much time at all and I end up carrying all 10.5 kilos of him and pushing the pram!

We've watched The Wiggles to death though. Jasper still loves it, but its doing mummy's head in. I bought him a cartoon movie "Robots" on the weekend, but as it doesnt have any music, it doesn't realy hold his interest.

Can anyone suggest any cartoon movies where they break into song every 5 minutes - but has enough content to make watching it bearable for me to watch over and over again?

And also places to buy DVDs cheap - ebay has been a real let down for cheap DVDs as I'd rather not pay more than $15 for it. I got wiggles for $12 and Robots for $9, so thats kind of the price range I'd like to look at.

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    chel - I hear you. Ohhhh I do. My DD was crawling, standing and cruising at 5 months and 1 week. I could not keep her out of anything. My GP remarked to me at her six-month check up that I had a `full time job' just running around after her. We had to install extra bars across the top of her cot because I caught her trying to climb out of it at six months old. She's a little gymnast - it's mental!

She would never sit still long enough to watch television so I don't know how you'll go with Jasper. We find she likes the most peculiar things - but prefers `real' tv to `made up' tv, like kid's shows. She's just started liking kid's shows now at 11 months. So she loves `In The Night Garden' and `Yo Gabba Gabba'. But she can only really concentrate for about 20 minutes at a time and she has to watch in her high chair or she doesn't stay put at all!

When she was younger she'd watch the footy for a bit, sometimes, or gardening shows or shows on animals. And she really liked repeats of `Midsomer Murders' - go figure?? Haha.

I think we just have to accept that we have ridiculously active babies and be thankful they're not couch potatoes who want to watch tv all day! But man - it's tiring, isn't it??
    Mr Mrs
    Precious girl Cheeky boy Muppet pups

If you don't agree with me .... it means you haven't been listening ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm glad I'm not alone!

I am very greatful that Jasper will watch the Wiggles, it goes for 80 minutes and he usually makes it from tstart to finish - even sometimes lately if I turn it off half way through he'll shout at me - yeah, active AND willful. He's mesmersized while there is music on. I even find if I'm breast feeding him and an ad with bouncy music comes on to tv, or like the starting music of TV shows he'll twist around to watch the TV while the music is playing. Also he loves cartoons, so I have to turn the Simpsons off when he's having his dinner in the evening, otherwise I'm trying to force food into the side of his mouth while he twists and turns trying to watch The Simpsons.

I'm just so sick of the wiggles. Its soooo boring and we've watched it together about 27 times now,so I'm well and truely over it. I dont want to get "hi5" as suggested by DP, as its going to be the same sort of thing. I guess because I dont put him in front of the TV and just leave him, I do stay and watch it with him usually, so I jut need something that wont send me totally up the wall!!

Ah, these active babies.

*fingers crossed* for a complacent baby next time around. I'd even be happy with a 'delayed' baby! Seriously, no pressure bubba, dont worry about crawling or walking, mummy doesn't mind!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The Baby Einstein collection is good.
    They go for about 29minutes each - I found them handy for doing those little odd jobs.
    I think 30minutes is a good amount of time to expect a baby to stay stationary.

Mary Poppins is a good one too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found Hi 5 MUCH more bearable than The Wiggles. I can only put up with The Wiggles for about ten minutes maximum. Hehe.

If he'll concentrate then here's a list of movies that I would recommend:

Anything by Pixar / Disney. He might not get through the whole lot but that doesn't matter. Toy Story, Ratatouille, Ice Age, Madagascar, Cars, Shrek - right down to the old-fashioned Disney ones - Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi - they all have songs in them.

For actual TV shows:

In The Night Garden
    Yo Gabba Gabba
    Hi 5
    Sesame Street
    Play School
    Olivia
    Bananas In Pyjamas

Go to your local ABC shop website and see what they have. I would also recommend Baby Einstein.

Pretty much anything is going to drive you crazy after a while, unfortunately, but that's something you might just have to deal with - especially if it keeps him quiet for a whole 80 minutes! I WISH!!!
    Mr Mrs
    Precious girl Cheeky boy Muppet pups

If you don't agree with me .... it means you haven't been listening ....

JackzMumma is offline My family is finally complete!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave DS1 all the oldies.

Peter Pan
    Cinderella
    Pinnochio
    The Rescuers
    Mary Poppins
    Lady & the Tramp
    Snow White

But I also love things like....

Ratatouille
    The Bee Movie
    Finding Nemo
    Fraggle Rock (DS2 loves this)
    The Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show.

We go the JB Hi Fi mainly.
    And DS1 doesn't even know who the Wiggles are!!!
    *ME-May '78DH-July '79*
    *DS1-July '05 (C/S) DS2-April '07 (VBAC)*
    *DS3- August '09 (NATURAL)*

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the Night Garden TV series is brilliant! My 2yo is addicted to these, he'll watch the same dvd for hours! just stops him in his tracks as soon as it's put on and watches the entire dvd! it's a good sleep aid to for the lunch time nap.=P I bought 3 dvd's called "Hello Makka Pakka" "Hello Iggle piggle" and "Who's here" they're about $15 on sale at kmart atm or $16 at Sanity. Or it shows at around 9-10am each morning
    Single Mummy
    to DS born June 07'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your kids sit still and watch movies??? *dreams*

Oh if only my bub would

My older DD (6) use to like Mary Poppins when she was little, but this bub wont even look at the TV *sighs*
    DD1 14, DD2 8, DS 7, DS2 (Our Angel), DD3 3

Breast feeding, co sleeping, babywearing,BLW, TT, vaxxer

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Rugrats movies are good - they've got music to dance to and the colours are great. Oh and not too nnoying either..... Master 4 is also obsessed with Spongebob! Another bright and colourful cartoon.
    Kirsty
    Him DS1 - 7 DS2 - 4 and Baby makes 3

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Another athletic baby here. She's been sick lately and so we've been watching my back catalogue of gentle 1970s British kids TV DVDs. I ordered them from amazon. Particular favorites are:
    Bagpuss
    The Clangers
    Ivor the Engine
    Fingerbob
    The Wombles
    Trapdoor
    Stoppit and Tidyup

In particular I'd really recommend Ivor and the Clangers as being really calming and sweet and 'good' in terms of being educational and moral without ramming a moral down their throats. The storylines are hilarious and they aren't weird like the teletubbies, so you can watch them too.

We also have Shaun the Sheep downloaded from iTunes. I worked in children's ITU for years and the conscious kids watch loads of Disney, so I'm all Disney'd out. But I rate The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Mulan and Aladin as the best ones for adults to get something out of too. I think The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty should all be banned for being vapid nonsense with shocking female role models. Dumbo, Bambi, Finding Nemo and The Lion King all involve really traumatic stuff happening, so I'm holding off on them til Esme is old enough to follow a story line and not get too upset that somebody dies horribly.
    Melbourne Mummy
    of two