User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Involuting corpus luteum?

Hi all. As some of you may know, I suffered an early miscarriage in late May, but only found out on June 14 when I went for my early dating ultrasound. At the time, my doctor said the ultrasound showed an 'involuting corpus lutuem' in my right ovary and that I should get my next AF in around a week (ie earlier this week - which would be consistent with a normal cycle length for me). I thought this meant that I had actually had an O after the M/C and that my corpus luteum was shrivelling up (because I didn't conceive) and that it should soon pass out with AF. But AF hasn't come, and I don't feel like AF is imminent. And I started wondering if anyone knows what an involuting corpus luteum means and whether it has any relevance for when my AF will come next?
    Me 36
    DH
    DS born Aug 07
    DD born March 09

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BDM,

I am sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I am not sure what an involuting corpus lutuem is but I have had a "persistant corpus luteum" also after a miscarriage. This is when the corpus luteum doesn't resolve itself after o in the normal 14 days or luteul phase. It keeps producing progesterone and therefore your period does not arrive. I was told it would take a week or two and eventually resolve itself which is very frustrating when TTC. AF arrived about 3 days after I was told this (i have never been so pleased to see her before).
    I would give your doctor a call and ask he/she to explain it again if I was you.
    Hope i haven't confused you further.
    Soph

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Soph. Thanks for that - I'm starting to think maybe something like that is happening. I think I've never wanted to see AF so much before!!!
    Me 36
    DH
    DS born Aug 07
    DD born March 09