User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My cat keeps peeing on my lounge! HELP!!!

Hi all,

My darling 20th month old male desexed cat keeps peeing on my lounge (not fun considering the lounge is microsuede!).

He has done it three times in the past five days, tried to do it another time while DH and I were standing there watching, and did it for the first time about 6 weeks ago.

After the first time i took him to the vet for a checkup and there hasnt been any reason to be concerned about his health... on two occassions he has had clean kitty litter, so that kinda rules out that idea, and we have been giving extra attention since the second time he did it in case he was feeling attention deprived so i doubt thats even the reason... the only thing i can think of is the fact im 5 months pregnant and he is the kind of cat that would get jealous...

How do we stop him from doing this? We have even changed him from being an indoor cat to an outdoor cat after the first incident to see if this would make him happier (which it has seemed to make him happier in general)... Im so tired of the smell of cat pee
    Last edited by trixiebelle17; 23-06-2009 at 09:19.
    ME DH

DS1 October 2009
    DS2 October 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the pet shop and vets they have a product specifically for this. It is a spray in a bottle that can go on carpet, furniture, anything and repells the cat from peeing there. Sprinkling pepper has worked for me too but maybe you don't want pepper on your couch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I too have a cat who wee's in random places, clean litter or not. I've tried the spray but it didn't work and it left a yellow stain on light fabrics. Am interested to see the replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok... this is going to get me blasted - this is a behavioural thing, territory etc. Both male cats that I have had have done it. Most recently my cat started weeing on my pillow (great!). After about the 3rd time I cuffed him across the top of the head and siad NO when I saw about to do it... you kind of have to catch them. I didn't hit him so much as swipe the top of his head & ears in a kind of dominant cuff. It does feel mean but it's always worked immediately for me, no more cat weeing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We have a new kitten and have been doing LOTS of research into this because our kitten found it great to pee on our bed - the same spot every time. She also likes peeing in DD's playhouse...

Anyway, basically, there are HEAPS of reasons why it might happen... so it's best to cover all bases.

Some cats prefer to urinate in one spot, and poo in another... meaning 2 litter boxes are required. Some cats aren't that picky, but will refuse to use a litter box that has faeces in it... so you have to be vigilant about cleaning it almost as soon as they've used it to poo in.

Is your cat desexed? He may be spraying... which isn't the same as weeing, but can seem like it. Getting him fixed should help if this is the case.

The first time may have been an accident too... but once a cat smells its urine in one place, it will continue to pee in that area until they can no longer smell it. Even if YOU can't smell the pee, your cat can smell so much better than you can, and could still be smelling his pee on your couch, and thus peeing there again and again. Best idea is to wash, then get a repellant spray (if you want him off the couch altogether) and DEFINITELY a product to remove the cat-pee smell (so cats can't smell it). There's one we have called "P*ss off!" It's in a yellow spray bottle and we got it from a pet super store for about $20.

Do you move his litter? The litter should always remain in the same place.

Have you changed litter brands? This may also be a problem.

Do you have a covered litter tray? Cats usually dislike these... as it's much like us using an outhouse - it's stinky and gross, and we'd rather not.

Another option is a UTI, but as you've had him checked it most likely isn't the cause.

It might be worth re-training him too... the same way you would have as a kitten. Dinner - then to the litter tray. If you catch him weeing in there, reward him. Don't leap in there though, he has to feel happy and relaxed peeing in there, not freaked out because you frightened him. They also like to pee in private (like us) so don't stand around watching. Just wait till he's done, and go and reward him with a treat and cuddles.

Putting a few drops of ammonia in his litter tray might work also, as it has a urine-like smell that could draw him towards it.

Enzyme washing liquids will help too, as they'll mask the smell of the urine to the cat, and he'll be less likely to urinate in teh same area again.

Good luck!
    I've now lost 42kg thanks to my gastric sleeve surgery!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps4765124b.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If your cat keeps peeing in a certain spot put his food dish there (might be a bit hard with the lounge situation though hehe). they dislike their own smell (which is why they cover up) so wont pee there if thier food is there. Good luck
    “People were created to be loved, things were created to be used; the reason why the world is in chaos right now is because things are being loved, and people are being used.”
    -Unknown

mumof2brats is offline love makes the world go around <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trixiebelle17 View Post
    the only thing i can think of is the fact im 5 months pregnant and he is the kind of cat that would get jealous...
    Most male cat are extremely jealous when a women is pregnant.

once we had next door male ginger at our house and he would always go where i went and marked his cent where i had been.....weird considering it wasn't even our cat.

to get the smell out,use vinegar.....it works great and your cat probably want pee there again.

all the best sally
    seth 2.5.06
    brock 30.7.08

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for all the replies...

shepard being our lounge im a little hesitant to try a spray as the lounge gets water marked really easy (yeah i know urine only makes it worse!) but its definately something i'll look into...

gillby good luck with ur kitty... it's frustrating, i love our cat to pieces but this is really annoying me know... ahhh the mixed feelings

maire: im not going to bite ur head off... while it makes me cringe i have tried this technique (pretending to be strong so the cat didnt sense my weakness) but it still hasn't helped...

sassy: no changes have gone on, same kitty litter, same place, same box etc... fully toilet trained kitty turned toddler again... and yeah he has been desexed... After reading ur post i've been trying to retoilet train him but he is still using the lounge on a daily basis (great in this damp weather!)... DH actually went to the vet yesterday and she also suggested enzyme washing detergent so that will be our next strategy, and i might try the amonia i have some in the cupboard so what have i got to lose? thanks for all ur ideas..

IJ: putting the food there is a great idea in theory but not really an option being the lounge

mumof2: i currently clean the lounge with vinegar and that doesnt seem to stop him, so ill try the enzyme detergent and see if it does things differently
    ME DH

DS1 October 2009
    DS2 October 2011