User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Period After Miscarriage

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how your first period went after a miscarriage?

I had a miscarriage back in April - my bleeding lasted for almost 3 weeks. My first period after the miscarriage arrived on the weekend, however, it seems to have now stopped.

This means it lasted for 2 days. I normally have a period that lasts 4-5 days.

Anyone else experience a very short AF after a miscarriage? Or should I expect AF to continue again within a day or so?

And do you think this will have any impact on us being able in this next cycle? Will a shorter AF make any difference in my fertility?

Cheers!
    Me + DH
    DS1 - March 2010
    DS2 - Oct 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I waited almost 6 weeks until my first period finally came after the procedure. My period was normal. But I read somewhere that period after the procedure can sometimes be different from what you normally have had in the past. It can be lighter than usual, or shorter than usual, like what yours.

If the blood of the 2 days for your period looks normal (i.e. its normal in color and its heavy enough to soak the pad), then I guess you can rest assure that it was your period and that the next time the period should be back to normal.

However, if the blood was very light and its like spotting rather than heavy bleeding, it might be the residual blood from the procedure.

Which one is yours?

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a D&C it was a natural miscarriage so no operation for me.

The bleeding was heavy and very red, like a normal period. I've just never had a period that short before??

I guess it's possible that I had a shorter AF because my body didn't build up a full lining last cycle due to not having enough time after the m/s bleeding ended.
    Me + DH
    DS1 - March 2010
    DS2 - Oct 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Ok, I think it must be your period then. With no D&C, your period will come quicker I think. So don't worry.

Kittylou is offline My precious Hamish, forever in my heart
    Thanks
    Reviews
    After my first two m/c, my period arrived pretty well spot on 4 weeks after the m/c started. But, both were quite early and the bleeding only lasted about 7 days.

With my last one, I had a D&C and had very light bleeding for about two weeks afterwards. Then, two weeks after that I had full on bleeding for 3 days. I was a little worried and called my ob. She was away but the one filling in said that it was most likely my period returning. I then had a normal 5 day period again four weeks after that so I guess he was right.

Also, we didn't TTC in that cycle (after the 3 days of bleeding) but I had ovulation pains in that four weeks so it would seem everything had gone back to normal.
    35yo single Mumma to

DS 12, DD 5 & DS 2
    Hamish David 30.1.10 - 30.1.10
    Moments in my arms, forever in my heart

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first period after my D&C at 9 weeks came 29 days later - it was very light, short and mainly brown (sorry TMI). I had bled for almost 2 weeks after the surgery though. Probably didn't get much of a chance to build up a layer. Everything seems to be working well again - looks like I have fallen next cycle.
    Me, DH, 2 little blokes and another little bundle due in October...

Rebdot is offline My beautiful boys!
    Winner 2010- The Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hello,

I didnt need a D & C after our baby was stillborn at 20 weeks and i never had a period at all over the next 4 weeks following, so i took a test and by acciedent we got pregnant straight away!!

My doctor assured me its a myth you can ovulate 2 weeks after a miscarriage/giving birth, however he seems to now be eating his words.

Maybe were lucky or maybe its quite common, id keep trying regardless
    Girl - Boy - Boy - Another BOY! Sebastian arrived on 7th June 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great news Rebdot!!

I don't understand why did you doctor say it is a myth that you can ovulate right after m/c. I have read a few articles that say that it is still possible to conceive in that period of time.

That is so brave of you to try again so soon after the stillborn. After the D&E, I thought to just take the risk and try to conceive straight away, but in the end I listen to everyone's everyone to try after at least the first cycle arrives. My period arrived in April and we tried, but wasn't successful. Have to try again next week (period started this week). We got very lucky with our first pregnancy, I got pregnant on the first try (but unfortunately m/c), so I thought we would lucky too this time.

Probably should have just try straight the D&E procedure...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Annefwee - I think I'm very similar to you... I had a natural miscarriage and was very tempted to try again in the very next cycle but listened to everyone's advice about waiting a cycle until after your first period.

I am now so worried that we won't fall as easily as we did the first time (first cycle off the pill, but it ended in m/c). And then I'm going to be so upset and anxious if it takes a few months.

And I will be thinking, should I have tried again in that first month after the miscarriage, especially when you hear people say that you're more fertile straight after a m/c!!!

Too much to analyse!
    Me + DH
    DS1 - March 2010
    DS2 - Oct 2011

Rebdot is offline My beautiful boys!
    Winner 2010- The Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe it is best to wait til after your first period, as this pregnancy is complicated, iv bleed at lot recently and had a "threatened miscarriage". were just waiting and seeing if our baby hangs in there. So far it is but things are uncertain.

Hopefully so as my husband dosnt want to try a third time as he has found this all quite hard.
    Girl - Boy - Boy - Another BOY! Sebastian arrived on 7th June 2011