User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default That hard icing stuff

Urrgghh i am a total novice when it comes to all things baking, but i am wanting to tackle making a cake for Cam's 1st birthday and Naming day, i wanted to make a cake with that hard icing stuff but don't know what it is called or whether you can make it or if it's best to buy it.

Anyone else made a cake with that stuff, did you buy it or make it from scratch.

Tips needed!

Thanks heaps
    Last edited by V8; 05-04-2009 at 20:00.
    ~ Vee ~
    ~ Joshua Hayden - 8 ~
    ~ Cameron Elliott - 5 ~
    ~ Mitchell Ryan - October 6 2011 ~

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmm.. do you mean the stuff you roll that hardens - fondant or royal icing?

Fondant you can buy in 1kg logs or blocks, colour with powder or gel colouring and you roll out with a rolling pin and sorta lay over the cake and mould it on.. the white chocolate or marshmallow fondant tastes nicer.

You can get marzipan which is the same thing but tastes uh like marzipan?

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You mean fondant?

You can get it at any good cake shop.
    Gretel, 28 Carlo, 40
    JordanOliverGabrielJulianLysander

I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us.
    -- Foucault's Pendulum,Umberto Eco

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Thats the stuff, so you can't get it at coles or woolies, i had a look at woolies but couldn't see it, so i guess they don't have it.

What kind of cake store, like a speciality one or would michel's sell the stuff? I got no idea where to buy it, and also yeah anyone made it??
    ~ Vee ~
    ~ Joshua Hayden - 8 ~
    ~ Cameron Elliott - 5 ~
    ~ Mitchell Ryan - October 6 2011 ~

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    The stuff you can buy at woolies is almond icing, Orchard is usually the brand, and you find it with the food dyes, and sprinkles, and cup cake papers etc.

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." -Elizabeth Stone

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never been game enough to try lol, maybe do a few trials first

if you give in and want to buy one i know a few ppl that will do it cheaper then the shops.

One of them works at the cheesecake shop so she is good lol, another chick can do all the real tricky ones like castles and stuff like that.
    And then their was 5

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need a specialty cake store that sells all the paraphenalia to make cakes ... They are getting harder to find sadly ! Michel's dont have anything like that but will gladly charge you a small island nations worth of food for a pre-made we make these for millions every week

Woolies dont seem to be selling Fondant anymore but Coles do !!!! Otherwise if you have a local Spotlight with S'Partys then they have it along with great cake making supplies that dont cost the earth !

It takes time & some patience to get the knack but if I can do it anyone can LOL ! I really do suggest doing a few trial runs to get an idea on how it all works & what you prefer etc before doing the main performance !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well you can make it.. but it's a bit tricky and you need a kitchen aid or really hardcore mixer (which I have not) You can make a similar marshmallow fondant, which imo tastes even better than some brands

Or you can just buy it here http://cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=2410
    Loads of similar places will just deliver it, otherwise google a cake supplies place near you some are expensive, I sell cupcakes for extra money now that I'm studying atm and go through a place in adelaide as I get enough to do plenty of cuppies for around $40.

Heres the 'normal fondant' recipe
    http://bakingproject.com/index.php/2...nt-recipe.html

Heres a marshmallow one.
    http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/...mallow-fondant

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can buy the Orchid icing from NL Coles...but it's not actually with their cake supplies (for some odd reason...maybe near the sugar) I know exactly where it is in the shop, but can't think of what else is near....

that was helpful wasn't it

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi,

yeah the ones you buy are ok but dont taste as yummy than if you make it yourself,

i recently made some for my ds birthday, you will need white marshmellows and icing sugar, and copha

they have tutes on youtube just type in how to make marshmellow fondent, they are mostly american so copher is called shortning and icing sugar is powder or something

its pretty easy to make just make surre you put lots of copher on bowl spoon hands etc as the marsmellow and mixture very sticky

melt marshmellows i used 2 bags of white ones and put in a tablespoon of water and buzz for 30 secs then give it a stir and do it another 30

then add icing sugar i used over a big bag just keep adding it then mix then add etc at first i just used a spoon to mix untill it become a bit firmer then near end used my hands

just keep kneading and the once all done roll in cling wrap and put in fridge supposed to be overnight but i found its too hard so i just done it for few hours if you need to do it overnight just put in microwave for few seconds to soften

then roll out and put on cake, just remember the copher that is most important bit or you will be in a big sticky mess

hope that helps

here is a pic how it turns out

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=569645425

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=569645425

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=569645425
    Renee + Kurt =
    2 precious miracles
    Kyanna 27/11/05 & Sheldon 13.03.08

plus 3 precious protecting us