User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Eating curry while pregnant...

Just wondering if eating a curry should be avoided when pregnant. I'm 31 weeks and my baby was moving about madly after I ate a medium curry last night. This happened when I'd had a curry a couple of weeks ago although I didn't blame the curry at the time. A friend of mine just told me the other day she ate a very hot curry at 35 weeks and her waters broke just after so she'd thought it was caused by the curry. Could there be a link between eating a curry and going into labour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a big fan of hot food & i ate it throughout my pregnancy... my Dr said its fine.... although i probably wouldnt go to the extent of eating rediculously hot things all the time...

DS feb 2009

#2 due feb 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    mmm I love hot food, especially when preggers!
    Apparently hot curries are 'supposed' to make you go into labour.
    Only thing that does that is bubs being ready to go. I think the rest is just coincidence.
    The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Considering that most of the Asian, Indian, African, Sicillian, Middle Eastern population generally eats food with chilli in it.....

I wouldn't worry to much about curry.
    Gretel, 28 Carlo, 40
    JordanOliverGabrielJulianLysander

I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us.
    -- Foucault's Pendulum,Umberto Eco

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The theory of hot curries starting labour is the same as the castor oil theory ie It is believed to work by causing spasms in the intestines, which surround the uterus toward the end of pregnancy. These spasms, in turn, cause the uterus to cramp, which might result in labor.

I ate curries through my pregnancy and breastfeeding without any problems. My waters broke on my due date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    Considering that most of the Asian, Indian, African, Sicillian, Middle Eastern population generally eats food with chilli in it.....
    Perhaps it is more of a western theory with spicy dishes generally making up a smaller portion of our diet our intestines would react differently to it than someone who's intestines are accustomed to the chili.
    Spicy dishes make up a the major part of my diet so I'm purely speculating that maybe it didn't have any affect on me for that reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, that's good news. I love my curries too and had wanted to eat the leftovers tonight but DH wasn't keen on me having anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmmm now I feel like a curry!!
    After 7 years of waiting we have gorgeous twin boys thanks to IVF!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate curry the whole way through pregnancy with no problems - my DH is Fijian and loves them (& cooks them) - I also eat curry whilst breastfeeding... and my DS now eats curry too! No problems! - eta. and i was 10 days overdue btw!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate lots of curries when preg and I went 10 days over!

I did find though that the heat of a dish made bubs move, as in how hot it was not how spicy IYKWIM? Something to do with the temp change of a hot meal, made her kick like crazy!

A big cold drink would set her off too!