User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can you be a whooping cough carrier?

Hi all,

It is possible that DH and DD may have whooping cough. They are being tested tomorrow with results not due until Monday.

My question is : DS and I do not have any symptoms ( DS has had all his immunizations up to and including 18 month shots) but I am worried - could we be carrying it and passing it on? DS has been to daycare in the last few weeks when I imagine the infection was at its worst in DH and DD (if they have it).

I know if they DO have it, we have to inform everybody (I believe the Health Dept gets involved also) but I don't know whether to send DS out of the house now ie to daycare on Monday or not? I don't want him exposed to all the germs but of course I don't want him PASSING it to anyone else either!!

I can't find any info on the net about being a "Carrier". Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a thread in the immunisation section about the passing on of whooping cough...asking others about their immunity status. From what I gather - parents are often the ones that pass whopping cough onto their babies. They may only show the symptoms of a common cold, and not realise they actually have whooping cough, sames as any stranger in the street - they may be carrying it without even being aware.

For this reason - my sis has suggested that all of us in my family have a booster before my twins are born....my other babies were born at 36weeks due to PE, so the twins might b early too, and since that may put them at more risk, the family will have boosters, and i'll have to wait until after they are born to have mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep adults tend to be the carriers but then many get WC & just dont realise it because not everyone 'whoops'.

I am suprised they arent testing you all

And yes the health dept will be involved as its something that needs to be reported.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been told that if anyone has it, we ALL get treated for it regardless. So I guess that's why their not testing us all.

Also just wanted to add - I am not going to send DS to daycare with the possible risk of infecting anyone else. I just feel so sorry for the poor little guy - his sister was ill last week and then DH became ill later this week and DS has really been neglected as I have to rush around looking after the other two. I just thought if he was "Safe" (IYKWIM) a day out of the house would do him good.

Will try to get DD and DH asleep at the same time and take DS down to the park!!
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shananaaah View Post
    We've been told that if anyone has it, we ALL get treated for it regardless. So I guess that's why their not testing us all.

Also just wanted to add - I am not going to send DS to daycare with the possible risk of infecting anyone else. I just feel so sorry for the poor little guy - his sister was ill last week and then DH became ill later this week and DS has really been neglected as I have to rush around looking after the other two. I just thought if he was "Safe" (IYKWIM) a day out of the house would do him good.

Will try to get DD and DH asleep at the same time and take DS down to the park!!
    I hate to be a big meanie but please be careful doing even this because you may be carrying it so this means you could pass it on to whoever when out & about.

When my cousins daughter was formally diagnosed with it a few dyas after we visited with them we were quarantined for 2wks ( this is the incubation period ) ... Nearly killed me but we did it to make sure we didnt pass it onto anyone especially a newborn or pg woman.

G who was at greatest risk only being 4mths & unable to have any more vax's due to reactions was monitored regularily by our g.p via house calls etc ... I was furious that he was put in harms way when they knowingly knew she could have had WC.

So please be careful where you go at this point.

Good luck I really hope your little girl & hubby are feeling better soon !