User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Panadol & Panadeine Forte

Okay, I've got some mild pelvic pain that's causing problems. Now, I took some panadol earlier but it's done nothing. The doctors told me it was okay for me to take panadeine forte for the pain, but when reading the panadol box I noticed it said you can't take it if you take something else containing paracetamol.
    So my question is, is taking panadeine forte after having had panadol earlier too risky? Has anyone done this?
    It might sound dumb and for that I apologise but I'm thoroughly confused and in pain.

DD1 - DD2 - DS

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    you just need to wait the amount of time until you would have been able to have panadol again, and then you can take the panadeine.
    Jane 38 and Luke 42
    (we don't have an emo emoticon) Amelia 15
    Sam 5
    Isabelle Kate 3

23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

Thanks
    Reviews
    AHHH thank you!

DD1 - DD2 - DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is not silly question at all and it is something that I would hve second guessed as well, and have before as well.
    I personally wouldn't take Forte (but mainly becuase it is panadine) unless I was totally sure, so I would call 1800 022 222 (health direct) they would be more than happy to help you I'm sure and they work 24hrs.

Good Luck
    lp
    ME29 DH30
    SPENCER 11/07/2007
    ELLIOTTE 06/08/09
    99,98,97,96,95,94,93,92,91,90,89,88,87,86,85,84,83,82,81,80,79,78,77,76,75,74,73,72,71,70,69,68

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had panadine forte during pregnancy. i was directed by hospitals and two drs that it was fine to take. the effects of it for you are the same for the bub. just makes them sleepy.
    wait the 4hrs and then take the forte. if you are worried just take one and then you can take another a half an hour later if it has had no effect.
    hope the pain eases for you
    DH&Me
    & Our Little Man 29/11/07

Thanks
    Reviews
    Panadeine Forte IS panadol..but with codeine added to it. So you need to wait at least 4-6 hours after you last had panadol. If you only took 1 panadol then you can take 1 panadeine forte now etc. But no more than 1 gram (which is 2 tablets of either) of paracetamol every 4-6 hours. And no more than 4g over a 24hr period. So if you need it in 4 hours make sure you space it out next time etc.
    The codeine in the panadeine forte WILL cross the placenta to the baby and quaver is right, it will make them sleepy. Your other option is to look at using regular panadeine and not panadeine forte, which still has codeine but smaller quantities.
    Personally, if you have mild pain I would stick to panadol or panadeine unless you have regularly used panadeine forte before. Panadeine forte is a fairly strong pain killer and can have lots of side effects for some people. For me, it drops my blood pressure and makes me very drowsy and I have difficulty breathing. It can also make you constipated so keep an eye on that too.

Hope the pain gets better soon!
    **PG Dip Midwifery 2011- FINISHED!!**
    So lucky to be married to my best friend
    DS 2002
    DD 2009
    and one beautiful boy (2008), watching from beyond the rainbow

Watch this space in 2012......