User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should i inform centrelink or keep my mouth closed?

What would you do if you knew someone that was taking advantage of the system and receiving benefits that they are not entitled too?.

Background....

A "couple" that DH and i both know used to do things by the book and declared everything ... he worked full time and she did'nt work at all. Once they had their first child, he lost his job and they both moved into his parents place. To make ends meet, they decided that she was to claim the single parenting payment while he received newstart allowance.
    He got another job eventually (better pay than the last job) and they still continued to claim that they were not together so she could receive the SPP. They went on to have another child - still claiming the single payment..
    She received a payout from her fathers death and they decided to use this to buy a home. Because they were claiming they were no longer together and he was the only 1 working, they decided he would apply for the home aloan and state that he had no children (because a lender will "lend" you less if you have dependants).
    They moved into their home, she began working part time .. she declares her earnings to centrelink, but they still pay her $400 per fortnight because they *THINK* she is a working single mum.
    She still uses her partners parents address for centrelink use and they are living VERY COMFORTABLE and do not need to rip off the system ... they are doing this because its easy money for them and they are plain greedy..
    They use the centrelink payment as "play money" but i never see the kids in nice clothes .
    I used to turn a blind eye to it, but i don't think i can do this anymore.
    DH brings home $500 per week and centrelink pay me $300 per fortnight (FTB A&B and a little parenting payment).
    We are doing it tough while i'm off work (maternity leave) but our bills and mortgage get paid, and we don't have much left over but i still don't rip off the system.

Should i tell centrelink????...

BTW - I'm not jealous that they have the extra money and they have got away with it for almost 5 years now .... I would hate to be in their shoes!.
    DH - 32
    Me - 33
    DS - 5, Our IVF miracle
    DS - Our NATURAL miracle Born june 2011
    OMG ANOTHER natural miracle - Born june 2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow babe - that is soooo wrong!!!!! I just think of all the people (like yourselves and others) who are doing everything right and struggling sometimes to make ends meet and these people make me MAD AS HELL.

My mum woulda dobbed em in in a hearbeat - she has warned me that if I ever do anything like that (not that I would) she would dob ME in too, that is how passionate she is about it!!!

The country is at threat of recession and people like that are taking money that they are not entitled too - just think how much extra they will get with all of the handouts available if K-Rudd's latest stimulus package gets through!!!!

Having said all that I understand hy you are stuck - it is a bad place to be knowing what you do andbeing friends with them but I think someone needs to do what's right - do you have a very strong friend who could anonymously dob them in for you rather than you actually doing it so that you can honestly say you didn't do it if the queston ever comes up???
    Froggy

Thanks
    Reviews
    You telling centrelink that they are doing this and for the last 5 years, they will have to pay back the money will most prob be charged and could even go to jail...

could you live with yourself if that happened?

i know how you feel with them ripping centrelink off.
    maybe just tell them about someone "you know" is doing the same and got caught and could be going to jail.

if you dop them in they will prob loose there house i know ppl would think sucked it but they have kids to think about id tell her to just tell centrelink the truth.
    Jen-24 Paul-26

Jordan 21/03/06 =
    Jaydah 1/12/08 =

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think you should.

I would!

For the past 5 years she has been having a very free ride whilst others that do the right thing struggle week to week.

I know you are in a difficult position but you really need to do the right thing.

If you don't, going from what you have said, I believe they will continue doing it for as long as possible.

Yes you could give her the option of telling the truth but in all honesty, do you really think she would??

Please consider doing the right thing.

If you are really worried about this then I think you should speak to her bluntly about the fact that she is breaking the law and being dishonest.

Atleast this way, after that conversation if nothing changes then you shouldn't feel so bad telling Centrelink because you gave her a chance.
    Last edited by hailsntwang; 11-02-2009 at 08:38.
    Me Hayley - 27 DH Andrew - 31
    Our Son - Ryder Blake 13/04/2008 - 9 lb 3
    Our Son - Machan DJ 29/10/2010 - 10 lb 13.5

Two Angels lost (2009 & 2012 )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eeeep, tough call. I tend to stay out of things like this. I wouldn't hesitate in encouraging them to end their dodginess though.
    me - tee - 25 & partner-in-crime - J - 33
    DS - 3 & DD 26 february 2009

Thanks
    Reviews
    My neighbour is a plumber and he has a huge flash house, which he has fully renovated, must have spent a fortune on, has a 4Wd, pool, boat, etc - and a couple of months ago I heard his missus talking to someone about how the electricity is in her name so she gets the pension discount!

Really stuck in my craw.

It is hard to know what to do. Nobody wants to be a dobber...

I guess I would to be honest not care if someone such as yourself who is struggling was sneaking extra - sorry but I wouldn't - just because for some people out there that might be all that is keeping them afloat.

For someone who is doing it out of greed I think it is pretty low. The best thing is probably to say it straight to their face - don't they feel guilty, etc.

I look at all the really wealthy people out there who probably save more on their tax by using the best accountants and finding tax breaks than someone on a low income could ever scam from centrelink - it is unfair that they are never found accountable.

But yes, I'd be saying something to their face if at all possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy81 View Post
    I want you to dob them in today!
    These ppl are squandering my our tax dollars.
    I want our tax dollars spent where they are needed, not stolen by con artists which is all that these ppl are.
    They are stealing your money too. If you found out they had been stealing money from you and everyone you know for the last 5 yrs, would you still be asking this question? I doubt it, I think you'd be getting the problem sorted out ASAP.
    Your conscience is telling you to do the right thing here.
    I can't see them getting imprisoned if it's their first offense but I can see them losing their house to pay back the debt, and rightfully so.
    100%

How's the serenity?

subaruforestermum is offline Love me or hate me...that's your problem only....
    Vote for veve! Cheekiest Mod!
    Where everyone is unique, just like everyone else....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You know what, they are doing this KNOWING full well it is against the law, and they are still happy to do it... Obviously they DONT care...

MAJORITY of people know the laws in regards to Centrelink, and therefor they should follow the law! They know what the possible consequences could be!

So knowing the risks involved and still carrying on an illegal act, they know they could possibly go to jail, and obviously arent concerned about it, so why hesitiate to dob them in!

They have no rights to that money they are recieving! So why should they continue to get it!

They made their bed, they can lie in it, if they end up going to jail, it is their own fault. Simple as that, they've had 5 years to change things, and have been too greedy and selfish!

It is an anonymous call! And they are committting an ILLEGAL act! Would you hesitate to call the police if you seen someones house getting broken into, or knew someone who was ripping off a business they worked for? Probably NOT, so why is this any different?
    ~Please don't hate me because of my superior intellect and my sarcastic attitude.~
    Mr 4 & Little Miss Noisy

Thanks
    Reviews
    id call them its fraud its fraud why should they be able to get away with it
    & if they do get charged & go to jail well tough luck they should of thought of that to start with

DD1-9 DD2-5 DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What puzzles me is how on earth do you know all about these peoples finances?

Are they running around telling the world, or are you just assuming this is what's going on?

If it were me, I would confront said couple and give them the opportunity to do the right thing.

If they choose not to after that than I would inform Centrelink.
    Living - Loving - Learning